Despite, being an 8-year-old game. Getting High FPS and Consistent Performance in GTA V is no joke. The game is really hardware Intensive, and It’s no surprise because the graphics are excellent. Other than this, it is also fairly common with Open World Games, that they demand more than just average hardware.
Apart from its Intensive Hardware Requirements. I think GTA V is still a great game, and If you can dwell in Its multiplayer gameplay. I think enjoyment is endless and you can have a lot of fun. However, to enjoy its open-world gameplay and multiplayer. You’ll need High FPS and Maximum Performance. This is where our guide steps in, to teach you about several methods that can increase your FPS to the fullest.
The methods listed in this guide are completely safe. Anyhow, it is still recommended that you make a system restore point. This will help you revert back to original settings if you messed up some settings on accidental.
Make Sure Your System Specifications Are Good Enough For GTA V
There is no point in going through the whole guide. If your system specifications are below the minimum required for GTA V. On paper, the system requirements look good. But trust me, they require more than just that. Anyhow, with something close or above the minimum required specifications. You’ll have a chance of getting High FPS after optimization.
Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
- Memory: 4GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
- Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
- HDD Space: 65GB
Note: Before you jump on the bandwagon to apply all the methods. Make sure you do an FPS Test Inside GTA V and note down the average Frames. Once you have applied the methods listed in this article. I’ll recommend you to benchmark again and see the difference.
Update Your Windows 10
First things first, update your Windows 10 to the latest version. This is really important because new updates always bring better support for hardware. Ultimately, allowing your Graphics Card and CPU to perform better and providing you with High FPS in GTA V.
- Open Start > Search and click Check For Updates.
- Now Click on Check For Updates. New Updates will begin to download, else it’ll tell you that Windows is already updated to the latest version. Mine are downloaded, and the Laptop needs a restart.
Enable Ultimate Performance Plan
Ultimate Performance Plan is a hidden plan within Windows 10 that allows your Hardware to perform at Max Speeds. By default, Windows 10 has a very balanced power plan, which has tons of limitations. With Ultimate Performance Plan, you can expect much better FPS in GTA V. Along with that, the Window becomes more responsive, and performance in games significantly improves.
As I said, the Ultimate Performance Plan is hidden, so In order to enable it. We’ll have to go through some tweaks.
- Open Search > Type and Open Windows PowerShell.
- Now copy and paste this code In Windows PowerShell.
- powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02 -d5df -448d -aa00 -03f14749eb61
- If you faced some sort of error. Try again, but this time in Command Prompt.
- If entered properly, you will clearly see Ultimate Performance mentioned in a message afterward.
- Now Open Start Again > Search Edit Power Plan > Afterward, Click On Power Options.
- Select Ultimate Performance. Sometimes, it is not visible, so you have to click on Hide Additional Plans.
Once done, you will now be seeing a significant FPS Boost in GTA V. Other than this, you should also feel a more responsive and fast Windows 10 from now.
Lower Visual Effects
If you want the best and most stable performance. You’ll have to compromise on the funky features, that are unnecessary and have a negative impact on your GTA V. While using Windows 10. You will notice the exotic animations that come with every click. You might be thinking this is no big deal. Well, it is actually, and they really take consume a huge chunk of power every second.
Disabling them will increase your FPS in GTA V. In addition, the performance will become more stable and consistent.
- Open Start > Search and Click View Advanced System Settings.
- Proceed to Settings Under Performance Tab. Now in Visual Effects, only checkmark the following
- “Show thumbnails Instead of icons”.
“Smooth edges of screen fonts”.
Click on Apply to save changes. You’ll now also see a more responsive and faster Windows 10.
Disable Full-Screen Optimization
In order to get high fps and best performance in GTA V., You’ll have to make sure that Full-Screen Optimization is disabled. This feature isn’t good for any gamer, because it runs the application in a weird hybrid mode, which doubles the impact. In addition to that, it also set frame limiters and allows various notifications to pop up. All these things combine and have a huge negative impact.
Depending on the launcher you are using. All you have to do is find where GTA V is located. If you are using Steam here are steps.
Open Steam > Library > Right Click Grand Theft Auto V > Properties.
Afterward, go to Local Files and Click on Browse Local Files.
Now you will land in the Grand Theft Auto V Folder. Find the GTA5 Application > Right Click > Properties.
Head over to the compatibility tab, and checkmark “Disable full-screen optimizations”.
Then click on Change high DPI settings, and checkmark “override high DPI scaling behavior”.
Now you will have to do the exact same thing for the GTAVLauncher and PlayGTAV Application.
Enable Game Mode
If you want to further optimize your Windows 10 For High FPS. It is really recommended that you enable Game Mode. The Game Mode will always prioritize your GTA V Application, and it set its priority to high. This will allow the game to get the most out of your hardware, and a significant FPS increase is always the outcome. Apart from that, It’ll also ensure that no irrelevant application is running in the background, and all power is being consumed by GTA V. Game Mode can be enabled with a couple of easy steps.
Open Start > Search and Click Game Mode Settings.
Enable Game Mode and you are done.
Clean Your GTA V Directory
Firstly, it is very important that you have the GTA V Installed In your SSD. Secondly, ensure that the Hard Drive or SSD Health is good. You can check it through Hardware Sentinel or any other program. Other than these two, you will also have to make sure that there are no leftover and virus-infected files in your GTA V Drive. These harmful files can slower your drive, and thus it’ll have a huge negative impact on your GTA V’s performance. Don’t worry though, because I’ll take you through some methods that will completely wipe out these files.
- Open Run, you can do this by searching for it In start.
- Type %temp% In run and click ok.
- Press CTRL + A on your keyboard > right click any file > delete.
- Now Open My Computer and right-click on the drive where GTA V is Installed > Properties.
- Click on Disk Cleanup and only checkmark the useless files. Do not go on to select entire folders, because they will be completely deleted. After you have selected the files, click on clean up system files and you are done.
Disable Notifications While Playing GTA V
When playing GTA V. You will have to make sure that no notifications are popping up every second. These notifications are not only going to disturb you while you play. But they also rack up in the task center, and together they can have a negative impact on your FPS. In addition, some of these notifications, especially those from Game Bar. They can automatically start recording and take screenshots, without you noticing it.
This step is really important because I’ve heard people talk about a 10-20 FPS Increase. Here is how you can disable them.
- Open Start > Search and Click Game Bar Settings.
- Disable Everything You See Under Game Bars Tab.
- Now Head to Captures Tab, and disable everything there as well.
These notifications are strictly related to Game Bar. That means no more automatic recordings, screenshots, and unnecessary disturbance while playing. Now we’ll disable the emails, Facebook replies, update notifications, and many others through Focus Assist.
- Open Start > Search Focus Assist Settings.
- Disable it completely by selecting off, or you can set timings depending when your game. I recommend turning it off.
Another important step to In order to get high fps in GTA V would be to disable Hardware Acceleration. This is a feature that comes with a lot of third party applications. Hardware acceleration is completely unnecessary because it allows the application to run more efficiently by unpacking its resources in a different manner. This does not change how the application works and on the downside. It is always squeezing a chunk of power, while we play GTA V.
The feature is available within a lot of common applications like Discord, Google Chrome, and Firefox. I’ll teach you how to disable it in chrome and discord. Afterward, you can do the same for others. Just make sure it is disabled.
- Open Discord > Click on Settings Icon.
- Scroll down to appearance, and disable hardware acceleration. Discord will now restart to enable changes.
- Now Open Google Chrome > Settings > Advanced > System. Disable Hardware Acceleration and restart Chrome to apply changes.
- Ensure that no applications running in the background has this feature enabled. It is not good for performance and will hurt your FPS.
Disable Useless Application and Services Running In the Background
The Last Windows 10 Optimization we are going to make that will help us get stable performance is disabling unnecessary applications & services. You will never notice how these applications run in the background because most of them are enabled In Startup. When enabled, they continuously run in the background consuming a portion of CPU and Memory Power.
- Open Run > Type msconfig and click ok.
- Afterward, click on services and checkmark hide all Microsoft services. This will hide the Imporatnt ones, that your Windows 10 needs. From the new list, disable all the Services you think are from third party.
- Hit apply to save changes, and go to startup.
- In startup, disable all the applications that have Medium to High Priority.
From now on, no unnecessary application will run in the background while you play GTA V. Other than that, you feel also feel a smoother and faster Windows 10. Boot times will also significantly improve.
Best Nvidia Settings For GTA V
In later stages of the guide, we’ll be configuring the Nvidia Settings to get the best performance. The Nvidia Control Panel can completely transform your performance, because of its advanced settings. The settings aren’t easy to configure, but I’ve got everything covered for you. Just make sure that your Nvidia Drivers are already updated to the latest version. You can do that through GeForce Experience or navigate to the Nvidia site.
- Open Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Add Grand Theft Auto V In Program Settings.
- Now make the following changes.
- Image Sharpening – Use Global setting (Off)
- Anisotropic Filtering – Use Global setting (Off)
- Antialiasing – FXAA – Use Global setting (Off)
- Antialiasing – Mode Use Global setting (Off)
- CUDA – GPUs – Select whatever your primary Graphics Card is
- Max Frame Rate – Off
- Disable Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA)
- Select Your Primary Graphics Card in OpenGL Rendering GPU
- Power Management Mode – Prefer Maximum Performance
- Shader Cache – Disable ( Highly Important )
- Allow Texture Filtering – Negativ LOD Bias
- Texture Filtering Quality – Quality
- Disable Texture Filtering – Trilinear Optimization
- Threaded Optimization – Off
- Triple Buffering – Off
- Vertical Sync – Off
- Virtual Reality pre-rendered Frames – 1
Optimize GTA V Config File
Another hot topic these days, is what are the best launch Options for GTA V. Well, if you look at the Rockstar site, that has listed all the command lines for GTA V. You will find there are like hundreds of them, and one would simply get confused by looking at them. In this guide though, we have already figured the Best Command Line’s for GTA V. These ones are going to Increase your FPS, get you stable performance, and most adequately run your game without any stutters.
Firstly, know this that the Steam version of GTA V will allow you to enter launch options. For Epic Games and Rockstar users, you will have to edit the command-line text file in GTA V Folder. In some cases, the file is not created, so you will have to make one and enter the code. It is no big deal, let me teach you how.
- Navigate to your GTA V Folder. For Epic Games users, you will have to go to Disk C > Program Files > Epic Games > GTA V.
- First, click on CTRL + F on your keyboard and type commandline. If no files were found, create a new text file and name it commandline.
- Afterward, Open the file and enter these codes in a proper manner. I’ve also attached their descriptions from the Rockstar site.
- Don’t count hyperthreaded cores as real ones to create tasks on.
- Set the whole rendering pipeline to 16-bit.
- Don’t use quaternion transforms for placed entities.
- Removes frame limiter, allows FPS to go above all limits.
- Don’t reset settings with a new card.
- For Steam Users, all you have to do is Right Click GTA V In-Library > Properties.
- Under General,> Click On Launch Options, and enter this code in proper sequence and spacing.
-disableHyperthreading -hdr -noquattransform -ignoreDifferentVideoCard -FrameQueueLimit
Best AMD Settings For GTA V
If you have an AMD Graphics Card and want to get the most out of your GPU. You have come to the right place, because we have got the best AMD Raden Settings for GTA V. As always, make sure that your AMD Drivers are updated. You can update your drivers to the latest version through the Control Panel or head over to the AMD website, and update them manually.
- Open AMD Control Panel > Gaming > Add GTA V Profile > Now Edit It.
- Under Graphics Tab, Select eSports Mode
- If you are playing GTA V offline, and you are not a competitive player. You can disable it.
- Radeon Boost: Disable
- Radeon Boost: Enabled
- Minimum Resolution: Set It to maximum
- Radeon Image Sharpening: Enabled.
- Sharpness: Anything above 50% will get you decent visuals. The more you push it, the fewer frames you get.
- Radeon Enhanced Sync: Disabled
- Wait for Vertical Refresh: If you have a budget PC with a 60Hz Monitor, and you only want to play the campaign mode. Go for it. On the other hand, Online Players shouldn’t enable it. Thirdly, If you have a Gaming Monitor that supports G-Sync/Freesycn, disable V-Sync too.
- Anti-Aliasing: Enhance Application Settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multisampling
- Morphological Anti-Aliasing: Disabled
- Anisotropic Filtering: Disabled
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: Enabled
- Tessellation Mode: AMD Optimized
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Disabled
- 10-Bit Pixel Format: Disabled
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Reset Shader Cache: Perform a reset
- Once done, head over to the Display Tab.
- AMD FreeSync – Enable, if you are playing single player for smooth gameplay. Disable, If you are interested In GTA Online.
- Virtual Super Resolution: Enabled
- GPU Scaling: Disabled
- Scaling Mode: Full Panel
- Integer Scaling: Disable If your GPU Supports one.
Best GTA V Settings For High FPS and Performance
The final and most Important tweak that we are going to address is the in-game settings for GTA V. I know GTA V is quite old, but the amount of setting it provides you to work with is very complex. There is the Display Section, then you have got Graphics Tab. On top of that, there is also Advanced Graphics, so things are not easy to configure.
Anyhow, we’ve sorted the best settings out for you. These settings are the most balanced and optimized. They will guaranty high performance, stable FPS, smooth gameplay, and no crashes. All you have to do is just follow the settings bit by bit.
- Launch GTA V > Proceed To Settings > Advanced Graphics.
- Long Shadows: Off
- High Resolution: Off
- High Detail Streaming While Flying: Off
- Frame Scaling Mode: Off
- Graphics Tab
- Screen Type: Full Screen
- Resolution: Go for 1920×1080, If you have a Graphics Card better than GTX 750. If not, go for something like 1600×900, for best FPS.
- Aspect Ratio: Auto
- Refresh Rate: Select Highest
- Output Monitor: 1
- FXAA: On
- MSAA: Off
- VSync: Off
- Pause Game On Focus Loss: Off
- Population Density: Disable, drag the slider to the full left.
- Population Variety: Disable, drag the slider to full left
- Distance Scaling: Once again, disabled.
- Texture Quality: Normal
- Shader Quality: High
- Shadow Quality: Normal
- Reflection Quality: High
- Reflection MSAA: X2
- Water Quality: Normal
- Particles Quality: Normal
- Grass Quality: Normal
- Soft Shadows: Sharp
- Post FX: High
- Motion Blur Strength: Disabled, once again lower the slider to fullest.
- Anisotropic Filtering: Off
- Ambient Occlusion: High
- Tessellation: Off
Don’t forget to apply the changes and Restart your GTA V.
There is n denying, that GTA V requires a lot more than normal games to perform. But, I think that If you are able to enjoy GTA V without any stutters. It’s always a great experience to play the game. The open-world gameplay is fantastic. You get to play a great storyline, and GTA Online has just endless features and modes. The settings mentioned in this guide are perhaps the best you will find in 2020. These settings are updated with all the flashy updates, and they will guaranty High FPS. In addition, the methods mentioned will also fasten your Windows 10 and Increase your FPS across all games. Just make sure, that you are following them correctly and hey!, don’t forget to benchmark the FPS again!