In a world where harddrives are becoming obsolete to the faster and more sleek solid states of the future, BIOSTAR has just revealed the next monster in the lineup.
It’s the M500 M.2 2280 PCI-Express NVMe SSD, it features 3D TLC NAND flash and is compatible with the latest generation of laptops, motherboards, and mini PCs while offering even more compatibility with its PCI-Express Gen3x2 interface. This drive is NVMe (Non-volatile Memory Express), meaning that without having to go through SATA or SAS, this drive has a max sequential read speed of 1700 MB/s with a 1100 MB/s sequential write speed along with random IOPS write and read speeds of 180k and 200k respectfully.
The low power consumption of 1.7W not only wards off overheating, but extends the lifespan of the drive. And if you’re still worried about heat, then don’t. The diamond-shaped heat sink that comes with this maximizes cooling efficiency, but to get to the cool part, there are LED lights on the heat sink itself that measure the temperature of the drive and display a certain color accordingly. A green light is the OK sign with the drive under 50 degrees C, the orange light warning you at the interval of 50-65 degrees C, and the red light telling you to bring it down at termperatures above that. The lights also display data transmission status, with blue being for access status, and green being for PCIe connectivity.
If you want a clear and comprehensive lists of the good parts, look below:
- High-performance 3D TLC NAND Flash
- Sequential read/write speeds of up to 1,700 /1,100 MB/s
- Read/write IOPS of up to 200K/180K
- Capacities up to 1TB
- Standard M.2 2280 Form Factor
- PCIe 3.0 8Gb/s by 2-lane (PCIe Gen3 x 2)
- Support NVMe v1.2
- Include BCH and LDPC ECC, plus Reed-Solomon Raid protection
- Support AES256
- End-to-End data protection
- With DDR3/DDR3L DRAM cache
- Active power < 2W, L1.2 power < 2mW with 20ms resume time
- SMART temperature display (SMART Fan option)
- BIOSTAR M500-128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD: $59
- BIOSTAR M500-256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD: $99
- BIOSTAR M500-512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD: $149
- BIOSTAR M500-1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD: $269