CS:GO Is one of the most competitive FPS Games around. The game requires a lot of skill, and its whole gameplay is circled around Teamwork. Other than its gameplay and skill requirement, the game sort of does require a good PC that can provide consistent performance while you are in combat. Usually, players complain that while playing CS:GO, whenever they are in a fight. The FPS drops rapidly, and you are unable to kill the opponent.
So what this FPS Drop actually does is that, for example, if you are using a 144 Hz Monitor, and your FPS drop to like 90 or 100. The experience is not the same anymore, and it causes a huge inconsistency in gameplay. Now if you want to get those wins and consistent kills. You must ensure, that you are getting higher FPS than the Refresh Rate.
This guide is there for you and will teach you to get the best possible FPS. On top of that, our settings and some practical methods will also guaranty that Performance is stable and the game has excellent visuals. Like always, make a restore point before you start making changes. Secondly, these settings are safe, there is no negative impact. You will also get to enjoy some bonus features that I’ll explain in later stages of the guide.
In this section of the guide, we’ll enhance some Windows 10 Tweaks which are very important.
Firstly Ensure that Windows 10 is updated to the latest version
The latest version of Windows always has better support for hardware, and likewise, you can expect better performance in Gaming. In addition, the new update also adds new features that are going to be part of this guide, so make sure you have it.
- Open Search > Type Check For Updates.
- Click on Check for Updates. New Updates will be shown with the option to download. Otherwise, it’ll tell you that your Windows is already updated to the latest version.
Test Your Frames Before And After
Hey hold on a second, why don’t you download the FPS Benchmark Performance Map in CS:GO and test your frames before making all these changes?
- Head over to the FPS Benchmark Performance Test
- Add it in your CS:GO
- Start playing the map, test your frames, and note them down
- When you reach the end of the guide, play the map again and see the FPS Difference.
Enable Game Mode
The Game Mode is a very important feature of Windows 10. It was designed to facilitate gamers with high fps and consistent performance. The game mode improves performance by prioritizing the game application, thus allowing it to get the max out of the CPU and GPU. Apart from this, the Game Mode also closes down the irrelevant applications that run in the background and impact your Performance.
- Go To Start > Type Game Mode > Click on First Result.
- Enable Game Mode.
Disable Game Bar and Captures
Have you ever noticed, that while you are playing games. There are always Xbox or Game Bar Notification at the bottom left of the screen, telling you Recording has Started, or Take a Screenshot using some button. Well, you can ignore these notifications in the game.
However, sometimes they will automatically start recording gameplay because you accidentally pressed a keybind that was set for recording. In addition, the notifications also pile up in the action center. Ultimately, this has a negative impact on your CS:GO, and In order to get high FPS. You must disable these.
- Open Start > Type Game Mode.
- Now Proceed to The Game Bar and Captures Tab. Disable and lower down everything you see.
- Go To Start Agan, Search and Open Focus Assist
- Now you can either disable everything or configure them according to your CS:GO schedule.
Enable Ultimate Performance
Like Game Mode, the Ultimate Performance also performs a similar duty. However, unlike Game Mode which only prioritizes Gaming Application. The Ultimate Performance ensures that there is no Power threshold, and allows maximum use of the hardware. Once enabled, you will see a significant difference in CS:GO FPS and Windows 10 Speed. This is a hidden feature so enabling it requires certain steps.
- Go to Start > Type Windows PowerShell > Open it With Administrator Privileges.
- Copy and paste this code in Windows PowerShell.
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02 -d5df -448d -aa00 -03f14749eb61
- After you have entered the code. Open Start Again > Type Edit Power Plan.
- Once Opened, Proceed to Power Options.
- Now Select Ultimate Performance in the plan, and if you were unable to find it. Click on the arrow in Hidden additional plans, and you will find it.
Disable Unnceasry Animations
To Get More Consistent Frames and Smooth Performance in CS:GO. You must disable these “exotic animations” that are unnecessary. By doing this, you will not only ensure that there is less burden on CPU and Memory. But you will also get to experience a more responsive and fast Windows 10.
- Open Start > Search and open View Advanced System Settings.
- Head over to the settings tab under Performance and In Visual Effects Select Custom.
- Disable Rest of the options, and only enable “Show Thumbnails Instead of Icons” and “Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts”
- After Applying the changes, you will already notice something different and better.
Set High Graphics Priority For CS:GO
In the steps below, we’ll set CPU Priority High for CS:GO Through Launch Options. But before we do that, we should also set Graphics Performance High for CS:GO. This will allow the game to fully utilize the GPU. Likewise, also let Windows 10 to remove limits from the Graphics Card. This can increase around 5-10 FPS depending on Graphics Card.
- Open Start > Type and Open Graphics Settings.
- Now Click On Browse and Locate your CSGO Application. Once Done, set the performance to High, and you are done.
Ensure No Useless Services and Applications Are Running In The Background
Well, you guys might be laughing at how I am consistently asking you to disable unnecessary things. This is because, if we want the best possible FPS in CS:GO. We must disable the slightest of features that are taking a chunk of power.
Anyhow, these services and applications usually start with your PC, and most of the time you wouldn’t even know why are they running in the background. Don’t worry though, because I’ll get them disabled for you.
- Go To Start > Type Run > Open First Result
- Now Type “msconfig” without the quotations, and enter.
Proceed to Services Tab and Checkmark Disable All Microsoft Services. We do this because we don’t want to disable any important ones that can cause trouble. After the filtering, you will only get to see the ones from third-party applications.
- Disable all the useless services you can spot. It varies from system to system.
Afterward, Click on Apply and Head over to the Startup Tab.
In Startup Tab. It is recommended to disable all the applications with high and medium priority. But from what I’ve noticed, you can leave the Medium ones enabled, because sooner or later you will open the Steam Application so it does not make any sense. At the same time, make sure Browsers are disabled because they allow Extensions to start running which is a big mess.
Once you have disabled these services and applications. You can now expect much better FPS and Butter smooth Gameplay in CS:GO. On top of that, you will also get to enjoy the bonus features, which are faster boot times and responsive Windows 10.
Disable Full-Screen Optimization and Override High DPI Scaling
Even though Microsoft says that “Fullscreen Exclusive mode gives your game complete ownership of the display and allocation of resources of your graphics card”. Well, that is not entirely true, because nearly every Reddit or Forum thread has players complaining that the FPS in Full-Screen Optimization are significantly lower. Players also complain that when enabled, the game acts very weirdly and you cannot Minimise it. This is actually true, because from my personnel experience when it is enabled, you cannot run discord in the background, and CS:GO runs with very consistent frames. Its best tested FPS with both enabled and disabled because the feature’s performance does change with updates.
- Open Steam > Right Click CS:GO > Properties.
- In Local Files Click On Browse Game Local Files.
- Now Right Click CS:GO > Check Disable Full-Screen Optimization. Click on Apply and proceed to change high dpi settings.
- Enable Override High DPI Settings and Select Application In Scaling Performed By. Once again hit apply to save changes.
Launch Options for CS:GO
One of the most important aspects behind good Frames is having the right launch options in CS:GO. There are hundreds of different launch Options on the Internet that are related to best Visuals and FPS. Some players do not understand, that entering every other launch will only make things worse. You have to find the most effective, balanced, and correct ones.
I’ve done a lot of research on this topic, and applied every other setting. However, one setting struck me and In contrast to all others. This is all you need. I’ll explain each launch option with a small description, so you can understand the science behind it.
- Firstly, Open Steam > Right-Click Counter-Strike: Global Offensive > Properties > In Launch Options, Paste this code.
- +fps_max 0 -high -novid -freq 75 -nojoy -threads 4 +cl_forcepreload 1 +mat_queue_mode 2
- +fps_max 0 – This Removes the Frame Limiter, and FPS Can Reach Any Value through this.
- -high – This will set CPU Priority to High and allow CS:GO to Get Most out of your Processor.
- -novid – The novid command will skip the Valve Introduction Screen, which takes too much time.
- -freq 144 – The Freq is also the Refresh Rate Value. Therefore, enter the max refresh rate of your Monitor.
- -nojoy – Nojoy will remove the JoyStick Controller Support, and will free a lot of Memory and CPU Usage.
- -threads 4 – It’ll ensure your max threads are being allocated to the game. Enter the correct number of threads in the value.
- +cl_forcepreload 1 – Will Pre-Load All Maps and Resource.
- +mat_queue_mode 2 – Very Important, this changes the meta by forcing CS:GO running at Multi-Threaded Mode.
Delete Useless Files and Cleanup Disk
If you have your game installed in an SSD, and that SSD has some leftover temp files. Well, then you aren’t on the safe side, because these files have a Negative Impact on your SSD. In addition, these files can also lower your FPS and downgrade Performance in CS:GO. Most players have downloaded the game in C, where the temp files remain after you empty the recycle bin. Anyhow, here is how you can delete Temp Files and Cleanup Disk. Make sure you are doing it in the Drive, where CS:GO is Installed.
- Go To Start > Type Run > Enter %temp% and click ok.
- Press Control + A on your keyboard > Right Click at any File > Delete.
- Once Done, Go To My Computer > Right Click The Drive Where CS:GO Is Installed > Properties.
- Now Click On Disk Cleanup.
- Make sure you go through the checklist and think twice. I’ve got a lot of Important files in the Downloads folder, so I won’t checkmark the Download from List. You can see there is 23.5 GB worth of data.
Disable Hardware Acceleration From All Applications
Although Hardware Acceleration is a good feature and allows the program to run more efficiently by using more of the hardware. However, you don’t need it for Applications Like Discord, Steam, or Google Chrome, where the purpose remains the same and increasing efficiency won’t make any difference. One thing worth noting is that If it’s enabled in Google Chrome, you will experience a much smoother experience. Consequently, the CPU Usage and Memory usage will also double, and this can have a huge negative impact on your CS:GO FPS And Performance.
Now there are two things you can do. Disable Hardware Acceleration which is the best option. Or, you should never run these applications in the background while playing a game. This sounds impossible, because every gamer has to make use of Discord, and Streamers always have Chrome Running in their background. Therefore, I’d recommend going with the first option.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration in Discord
- Open Discord > Settings > Apparence.
- In Appearance Scroll Down and Disable Hardware Acceleration.
- By default, it is enabled, and it’ll ask you to restart your discord, which is perfectly fine.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome > Click on the three dots in top right corner > Settings.
- Under Settings > Go To Advance > System > Disable ” Use Hardware Acceleration When Available”.
Disable Enhance Pointer Precision
If you want to become consistent at the game, you must ensure that Enhance Pointer Precision is disabled. Along with gameplay, Enhance Pointer Precision also impacts your performance, because it consistently needs the power of CPU and Memory to randomize the movement. Just to clarify, Enhance Pointer Precision changes your DPI every time you move the mouse. This is not a good thing, and competitive gamers will know that having the same DPI at all times is essential.
- Go To Start > Mouse Settings > Additional Mouse Options
- Head over to Pointer Options > Disable Enhance Pointer Precision
- Make sure you hit apply and ok after applying changes.
Best Nvidia Settings For CS:GO
In this section of the guide, we’ll tweak the Graphics Card Settings and CS:GO Itself. Although you can change Graphics Settings from the game as well, managing 3D Settings in Nvidia Control Panel will have a greater effect. The settings we recommend are very balanced and will get you High FPS with great visuals to spot enemies. Just make sure your Nvidia drivers are updated to the latest version. You can check out the latest version here or open GeForce Experience and click on Check For Updates.
Note: These are Global Settings, and will have an impact across all games. If you want to make changes for CS:GO only, then head over to Program Settings and add CS:GO Application there. Those settings will be specific to CS:GO Only.
- Open Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Change the following
- Disable Image Sharpening
- Ambient Occlusion – Off
- Anisotropic Filtering – Off
- Antialiasing FXAA – Off
- Antialiasing Gamma Correction – On
- Antialiasing Mode – Off
- CUDA – GPUs – All
- DSR Factors – Off
- Low Latency Mode – Off
- Max Frame Rate – Off
- Monitor Technology – Choose whatever is the option.
- Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) – Off
- OpenGL Rendering GPU – Select your Graphics Card
- Power Management Mode – Prefer Maximum Performance
- Prefered Refresh Rate (Your Monitor) – Select the highest available value
- Shader Cache – On
- Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample Optimization – On
- Texture Filtering Negative LOD Bias – Allow
- Set Texture Filtering Quality to High Performance
- Enable Texture Filtering Trilinear Optimization
- Threaded Optimization – On
- Triple Buffering – Off
- Vertical Sync – Off
- Virtual Reality pre-rendered Frames – 1
Color Settings For CS:GO
You can leave this part if you like, but here are some settings that I’ve found to be very clear and vibrant. Note that colors differ from Monitor to Monitor and in some cases, you might not get the result I’m getting. Anyhow, it is worth the attempt to give it a try.
Proceed to the Adjust Desktop Color Settings and do the following
- Set Brightness Level to + 55%
- Set Contrast Level to + 50%
- Change Gamma to + 1.10
- Fully Increase Digital Vibrance to 100%. This will make your graphics very vibrant.
- Set Hue to 0.
Best AMD Settings for CS:GO
AMD Users, don’t worry because we have you covered with the best settings for performance and visuals as well. We have tried and tested dozens of settings, but these ones are the most balanced. Firstly, make sure that your AMD Drivers are updated to the latest version. You can check and download the latest drivers from this page.
- Afterward, Open AMD Control Panel > Gaming
- Select CS:GO To Make Changes
- Now Make the following changes
- Graphics Profile: eSports
- Raden Anti-Lag – Enabled
- Raden Chill – Disabled
- Radeon Image Sharpening – Enabled
- Sharpness – Personel Preference, but I prefer anything above 50
- Radeon Enhanced Sync – Disabled
- Wait for Vertical Refresh – Always off
- Anti-Aliasing Level – 2X
- Select Multisampling in Anti-Aliasing Method
- Disable Morphological Anti-Aliasing
- Disable Anisotropic Filtering
- Select Performance in Texture Filtering Quality
- Anti-Aliasing – Override Application Settings
- Select Performance Under Texture Filtering Quality
- Enable Surface Format Optimization
- Tessellation Mode – Override Application Settings
- Maximum Tessellation Level – 8x
- OpenGL Triple Buffering – Disable
Best In-Game Settings For CS:GO
The final and most important area of our guide is the In-Game Settings. Now a lot of you have different settings, that you might have made after testing time and time again. Well, the settings I’m about to list down are perhaps the best for Performance and Visuals. I found these settings to be very sharp and balanced. Just to clarify, these settings will work perfectly with all sorts of PCs. That goes on to say, Budget, Mid Range, or High End. Now let’s get to work and apply these settings.
- Aspect Ratio: Whatever you prefer, I personally go with Widescreen 16:10, so the resolution is also different
- Resolution: Personel preferences, find 1680×1050 Resolution perfect. However, sometimes I change back to 1440×1080 Resolution.
- Global Shadow Quality: Very Low
- Model/Texture Detail: Low
- Effect Detail: Low
- Shader Detail: Low, Medium also works
- Multicore Rendering – Enabled
- Multisampling Anti-Aliasing – None
- FXAA Anti-Aliasing – Disabled
- Texture Filtering Mode: Bilinear
- Wait for Vertical Sync – Disabled
- Motion Blur: Disabled
- Triple-Monitor Mode: Disabled
Under Game Settings, just ensure that Console Option is enabled. Likewise, in Audio Settings, Disable Advanced 3D Audio Processing.
The Settings Are Worth It!
Ending the guide, I can say with confidence that if you have followed all the methods listed above. You will be seeing High and Stable FPS In CS:GO from now on. The settings aren’t just focused on High FPS, but they also embed on sharp and clear visuals.
I’ve tried and tested these methods personally, and they work like charm. Along with me, my buddies have also found them to be extremely helpful. Further, don’t hesitate to make these changes. They all are super safe. The settings will not only help you get good performance in CS:GO, but they will also fasten your PC, Increase Responsiveness of Windows 10, and always provide the best possible FPS in games.