Year 2023 is an especially good year for the survival horror genre. A lot of amazing titles were released this year, ranging from indie titles to big-budget AAA releases. All of these games are amazing in their own right, and while being similar, no two games are alike. While there was a lot to choose from, we have compiled a list of the best survival horror games of 2023. Keep in mind that this list is in no particular order, and it is all our opinion.
- The horror game genre is very popular in today’s day and age. The feeling of your skin crawling, the thrill, and the adrenaline rush is what makes these games different.
- Remorse: The List: This game won the Best FPS Horror Game award. The visuals of the game have a distinct feeling to them. The main focus is for players to discover the mysteries of the game in hopes of surviving the world filled with unfathomable evil.
- Tormented Souls: The game is unique because of the way it depicts the perspective of the character with the Over-The-Top Camera Angle. The main focus is to discover the mystery of the twin girls’ disappearance by solving a plethora of puzzles and riddles.
- The Callisto Protocol: This game’s uniqueness comes from its plot, storytelling, and extremely thrilling fights. It focuses on a character named Jacob who is imprisoned in Callisto and fights his way through the Inmates that have changed into monsters while also discovering the truth behind Callisto.
- Signalis, Observo, Choo-Choo Charles, Evil Nun Broken Mask, and Dying Light 2 are some of the other great survivor horror games to check out.
|Remorse: The List||April 22, 2022||DeppreSick Team, Ashkandi, Truthkey|
|Tormented Souls||August 26, 2021||Dual Effect, Abstract Digital|
|The Callisto Protocol||December 2, 2022||Striking Distance Studios|
|Signalis||October 27, 2022||rose-engine, Rose-engine games|
|Observo||Oct 21, 2022||SpaceZeta Games|
|Choo-Choo Charles||December 9, 2022||Two Star Games|
|Evil Nun: Broken Mask||October 31, 2022||Keplerians, Carlos Coronado|
|Fobia – St. Dinfna Hotel||Jun 28, 2022||Pulsatrix Studios, Pulsatrix Desenvolvedora De Jogos Ltda.|
|Dying Light 2||February 4, 2022||Techland|
|Evil Dead: The Game||May 13, 2022||Saber Interactive|
|The Backrooms Series||August 11, 2022||Fancy Games|
|Gloomwood||August 16, 2022||New Blood Interactive, Dillon Rogers, David Szymanski|
|Nemesis Distress||June 15, 2022||Ovid Works, Awaken Realms|
|Saturnalia||October 27, 2022||Santa Ragione|
1. Remorse: The List
|Awards||Best FPS horror|
|Release Date||April 22, 2022|
|Developer||DeppreSick Team, Ashkandi, Truthkey|
|Gameplay Type||Action, FPS, Horror,|
First up on our list of the best survival horror games of 2023 is Remorse: The ListThis game holds a special place in the hearts of hardcore fans of the genre due to the unique position its developers are in. It is a classic survival horror game developed by the same team that is notorious for its work on Half-Life 1 mods. They have plenty of other horror mods under their belt as well.
This project was a long time coming, and fans of the survival horror genre have received it with a lot of love. The majority of the game takes place in Hungary and is set in their own renowned “Remorse” universe. When the player first awakens in Hidegpuszta, all they have to their name is a list that barely makes any sense. You have been given the responsibility of investigating this strange settlement in the middle of nowhere in the hopes of learning its mysteries and escaping alive.
The story is further enhanced by the plethora of voice recordings and video tapes that the players can discover during their playthroughs. The game’s universe is vast and overflowing with unfathomable evils. Because resources are few and there is a multitude of opportunities to spend them, players will need to keep an eye on their stockpiles.
Additionally, the inventory capacity is relatively minimal; therefore, learning how to micromanage your inventory is essential in this game. The game utilizes the inventory management concept of slot size, where you will inevitably have to decide between essential items such as first aid kits or ammo. Other than that, the combat features melee as well as ranged combat.
The gameplay is mainly open-ended, meaning that the players can choose which direction to go in without any restrictions. Players can pick and choose which mystery they want to unfold first and which puzzle they want to save for later.
- The visual design of Remorse: The List is designed very well and adds to the dreadful vibe of the game.
- The atmosphere in Remorse: The List is executed perfectly and truly makes you feel creeped out.
- Remorse: The List is based on a small town located in Hungary, creating a deeper level of realism.
- The enemies have some very cool designs and each enemy looks unique in its own way.
- Remorse: The List has some very intriguing puzzles that make you think without getting frustrated.
- The maps in Remorse: The List are designed very well and every area feels connected to a big world.
- The inventory system of Remorse: The List is done perfectly and has a lot of logic behind it.
- There is a wide variety of unique maps you can explore in Remorse: The List.
- Remorse: The List can get a bit too dark sometimes and make some areas invisible.
- The controls in Remorse: The List feel very awkward to control, making the gameplay feel unsatisfying.
- The flashlight in Remorse: The List makes no sense, as the range of the light is unrealistically short.
- You might experience occasional crashing issues in the middle of the game.
2. Tormented Souls
|Awards||Best Over-the-top-camera-angle Horror game|
|Release Date||August 26, 2021|
|Developer||Dual Effect, Abstract Digital|
|Gameplay Type||Survival Horror, Puzzle, Psychological Horror, Atmospheric|
Tormented Souls is a game that draws inspiration from the classics in the survival horror genre, such as Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Alone In The Dark. It gives the traditional idea of the fixed perspective action genre a contemporary spin. This means that despite preserving the sense of the original gameplay, the game has a fairly modern control scheme and a dynamic camera to boot, which adds heavily to the experience.
The mystery surrounding the twin girls’ disappearance in Winterlake is the focus of the game. In the game, you take on the role of Caroline Walker, who suffers a terrible accident while conducting the investigation. She was injured in the accident and is now tethered to some antiquated medical technology, but she must keep looking for the twins inside this eerie mansion.
The game exploits its environs to provide players with a diverse array of challenges and difficult riddles. In order to solve these challenging riddles and learn the mansion’s secrets, players will need to use every tool at their disposal, including old journals and inventory items.
Moreover, players will always have to stay vigilant if they plan on staying alive in this mansion. Dark forces can attack them at any moment in time, and it will take more than perfect aim to get past these forces. In addition to all this, the game also features an alternate dimension, which adds a new layer of depth to the world in the game. This game is ideal for people seeking a survival horror experience that is both recognizable and novel.
- The character designs in Tormented Souls look incredibly appealing and have unique features.
- Tormented Souls has a lot of gore and violence that many fans of the survival horror genre will love.
- The puzzles in Tormented Souls are some of the most well-designed puzzles of all time, as they are incredibly complex.
- The atmosphere of Tormented Souls creates the perfect immersion to make you feel creeped out.
- The gameplay in Tormented Souls feels very smooth, with satisfying and balanced gunplay.
- Tormented Souls is paced very well and does not feel like it has any padding.
- Tormented Souls takes references from some amazing classic horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
- The sound design of Tormented Souls is not the best and feels like it was recorded using unprofessional equipment.
- Tormented Souls has some very stiff animations that break your immersion, especially for the main character.
- There is a severe lack of diverse difficulty options in Tormented Souls and it might feel too hard for some new players.
- The voice acting in Tormented Souls is not the best, as the dialogue feels unnatural, with no emotion.
3. The Callisto Protocol
|Awards||Best Dead Space-like Horror Game|
|Release Date||December 2, 2022|
|Developer||Striking Distance Studios|
|Gameplay Type||Survival Horror, Sci-Fi, Third Person Shooter, Action, Adventure|
The Callisto Protocol is one of the most highly anticipated titles in the survival horror genre. It is, without a doubt, perhaps the most significant release on our list of best survival horror games of 2023. Coming from one of the minds behind Dead Space, a series that needs no introduction, this game pays homage to its spiritual progenitor. The resemblances are there for fans to notice, and so far, the game hasn’t let down in any department.
As the name suggests, the game is set in a prison colony in Callisto, a moon of the planet Jupiter. The players step into the shoes of Jacob Lee, who is a prisoner in Callisto. As soon as the inmates begin to morph into dreadful monsters, the game puts us in the middle of mayhem. Jacob needs to survive, get away, and learn the awful truths hidden underneath Callisto.
As the players navigate the game’s disintegrating setting, a combination of third-person shooting and close-quarters combat is used. Additionally, the game expertly blends mood, suspense, and violent fighting to create a sense of doom and impending tragedy. The majority of the game is narrative-driven, drawing players into its universe as the plot develops.
Players must face not only the monstrous prisoners but also the long-forgotten history of Callisto that continues to plague it. Thrilling combat and expert storytelling are what make this game so unique, and it is set to release on December 2 on all major platforms, including PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC.
- The Callisto Protocol takes place on one of Jupiter’s moons, creating an incredibly unique setting.
- The Callisto Protocol has a very similar overall style to Dead Space.
- There is a lot of gore present in The Callisto Protocol, with no censorship that is disturbing yet delightful to look at.
- The lighting in The Callisto Protocol is executed perfectly and creates the perfect atmosphere.
- The Callisto Protocol has an incredible audio design, with high-quality and realistic sounds.
- The upgrade system is designed very well, as it motivates you to always go for upgrades.
- The Callisto Protocol has some genuinely scary monsters and a lot of them have unique designs.
- There is little to no replay value in The Callisto Protocol, which can make it easily forgettable.
- The Callisto Protocol is incredibly expensive, costing up to 50 dollars, which might not be worth it for some players.
- The real ending of The Callisto Protocol is locked behind a DLC paywall, which is incredibly frustrating.
- The combat can get extremely repetitive after you progress a bit further into The Callisto Protocol.
- You might not find the story too interesting and it can get irrelevant quickly.
|Awards||Best Classic Survival Horror Game|
|Release Date||October 27, 2022|
|Developer||rose-engine, Rose-engine games|
|Gameplay Type||Survival Horror, Sci-Fi, Action, Atmospheric, Adventure|
Signalis is one of those games that no one is expecting, and it comes out of nowhere to hit you in the guts. The game started to gain some recognition when it was among Tribeca’s official selections. It is a survival horror game with a retro aesthetic that gives it a sense of nostalgia. It deserves a spot on our list of best survival horror games of 2023.
The story takes place in a dystopian future in which humanity has conquered the solar system. It is all under the rule of Eusan, who rules with an iron fist. It is a world where humanoid androids, known as Replikas coexist with humans and perform various tasks. Players take control of Elster, a Replika on the hunt for her missing lover. She is stranded on a freezing planet as she discovers dark truths, overcomes difficult challenges, and encounters terrifying beasts, all of which combine to create a sense of cosmic dread.
It is clear that the game is inspired by various other mediums, especially film and television. Coming from the developers, the game is inspired by the works of Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, and Hideaki Anno, to name a few. The game has a frightening ambiance, along with superb sound design and tight controls, that immerses players in the environment.
In addition to this, the character motions are made brilliantly in 3D, which is complemented by the game’s dynamic shadows and lighting. It truly is a one-of-a-kind experience, and it is a must-play for everybody, even if they are not fans of the survival horror genre.
- You start playing Signalis with no idea where you are or what is happening, creating a sense of mystery.
- The atmosphere in Signalis is dark with a lot of shadows that hide scary creatures, which is a delight for Survival Horror fans.
- It is up to you to find clues relating to the storyline that are spread throughout the game, which is very fun.
- The pixel visual style of Signalis creates a perfectly distinct aesthetic for the game, with a bit of a modern feel to it.
- Signalis forces you to make some tough decisions that will put your brain to the test.
- The character design for the main character of Signalis looks incredibly appealing and unique.
- The level design of Signalis feels very uninspired and unintuitive, as the majority of the levels involve running around in dark corridors or halls.
- There is little to no diversity in the environment around you, making Signalis feel a bit repetitive.
- Some of the puzzles in Signalis are designed very badly, as they consist of repetitive tasks and have nothing interesting to offer you.
- The enemy design in Signalis feels very generic with no unique elements to them.
|Awards||Best Silent Hill-like Horror Game|
|Release Date||Oct 21, 2022|
|Gameplay Type||Horror, Action, Puzzle, Adventure, Third Person|
Observo is the first game from SpaceZetaGames. It is a third-person survival horror game highly influenced by the genre’s early 2000s era. The foundation for this game is laid by games like Fatal Frame and Silent Hill, and it is quite obvious, but in a good manner.
The players take control of Edgar, a businessman on a journey to a little hamlet. He needs to find a place to stay for the night in that town due to unforeseen circumstances. He finds a place run by pleasant management, but things start to go wrong when odd things begin to happen around him and the inn. Edgar is in great danger, and he must flee for his life before it is too late.
It is a simplistic game that uses exploration and light combat at the core of its gameplay. Players have to explore the inn while trying to find a way out of it. You can either manufacture weapons to deal with whatever comes your way, or you can choose to run away. Either way, you will have to make your way across the inn in hopes of finding an exit, all the while solving puzzles and encountering mysterious entities.
The game features a limited inventory and also a fixed camera system. There are also no autosaves in the game, and players will have to save their game at designated spots manually. The game is also brought to life by its original soundtrack. It is suggested for individuals who are fascinated by violence and bodily horror.
- Observo is based on old-school horror games from the early 2000s, which makes it feel very nostalgic.
- The graphics in Observo look very old but still have modern features in them that make the game look gorgeous.
- The sound design of Observo sounds like something out of 90s Silent Hill but recorded with modern equipment.
- The puzzles in Observo are perfectly balanced, as they do not feel too difficult or too easy.
- Observo uses the fog in its atmosphere in the most genius way possible to enhance the overall experience.
- There are multiple endings present in Observo that add to the replay value of the game.
- Observo has several secrets spread throughout the game that are very fun to discover.
- The grabs in Observo are incredibly broken, as you die even if you are at full health once an enemy grabs you.
- The final boss of Observo can be incredibly frustrating to beat, which can turn off some players.
- Observo features a very strange story that fails to get interesting and does not go anywhere.
- There are way too many enemies in Observo that can make the whole gameplay experience too stressful.
6. Choo-Choo Charles
|Awards||Best Open-World Horror Game|
|Release Date||December 9, 2022|
|Developer||Two Star Games|
|Gameplay Type||Survival Horror, Open World, Shooter|
Choo-Choo Charles manages to transform a bizarre premise into an incredible survival horror experience. It is an open-world survival horror game by the makers of My Beautiful Paper Smile. It is not the type of game you expect to see when the best survival horror games of 2023 are mentioned, but here we are.
Players must navigate the open-world island on an antiquated engine while carefully planning their routes. You must be extremely cautious while crossing because Charles can catch you off guard at any time, whether on foot or on the tracks. Players will come across various items throughout the game that they may use to upgrade their engine. You can either embark on scrap adventures or help various townspeople who will reward you with weapons and goods.
After completing the main questline, players can choose to summon Charles and duke it out with him in a death match. Depending on how much you upgraded your engine, the outcome can vary. This game is recommended for those who are looking for an interesting new concept that you don’t get to see in other places.
- Charles feels like a true threat, which makes the survival aspect of Choo-Choo Charles feel even more thrilling.
- Choo-Choo Charles sets the eerie atmosphere perfectly, allowing you to have a scary and immersive experience.
- The difficulty in Choo-Choo Charles is very fair, as the game does not get too hard.
- The map of Choo-Choo Charles is designed very well, with many details and objects put into the environment.
- Choo-Choo Charles does a great job of keeping you engaged from start to finish.
- The character models in Choo-Choo Charles do not look too good, which can take away from the immersion.
- Choo-Choo Charles is an incredibly short game, with some players being able to finish it in under 3 hours.
- The stealth mechanics in Choo-Choo Charles are not designed very well and can feel a bit awkward.
- Charles spawns in random places, which can sometimes kill you unfairly and arbitrarily, especially when you are away from the shelter.
- The story is not written very well and feels incredibly dull.
7. Evil Nun: Broken Mask
|Awards||Best Stealth Horror Game|
|Release Date||October 31, 2022|
|Developer||Keplerians, Carlos Coronado|
|Gameplay Type||Survival Horror, Stealth, Atmospheric|
Evil Nun: Broken Mask is an example of the rare occurrence where a game is ported to a PC after massive success on mobile devices. The game was completely redesigned with new puzzles and level design, along with new graphics that make the experience much better.
The game takes place in a religious summer camp where kids are sent to make friends and spend the summer. But that is all a hoax, and the reality of the camp is much different. You are locked in a school, and an evil nun is guarding it. You must escape from Sister Madeline and her massive hammer as you run for your life.
While you are trying to escape, you learn that you are not the only one at the camp, and other children are also trapped alongside you. Solve all kinds of puzzles and challenges so that you can put an end to this nightmarish camp once and for all.
The AI is extremely smart in this game, and the Nun will adapt to any situation that you put it in. Whether you choose to go with a stealthy approach and hide from her or go with a confrontational approach and shoot gumballs at her, she will manage to find a way around it and come after you. Of course, this game wouldn’t be complete without classic puzzle solving that adds a lot to the experience overall. The game is currently in early access.
- The graphics in Evil Nun: Broken Mask are pretty good and offer some great details in the environments.
- Evil Nun: Broken Mask is genuinely spooky and will scare you without having to rely on cheap jump scares.
- The character design for the evil nun is incredibly eerie and looks especially creepy in close-up shots.
- Evil Nun: Broken Mask is an overall very immersive game due to its graphics and setting.
- There is a wide variety of puzzles in Evil Nun: Broken Mask that are very fun but challenging to solve.
- Evil Nun: Broken Mask improves upon and changes a lot of the aspects of the original mobile version of the game while still keeping the familiarity.
- The sound design of Evil Nun: Broken Mask is exceptionally good and adds to the overall immersion.
- You might run into several crashing issues when trying to launch Evil Nun: Broken Mask.
- There are some very strange bugs and glitches spread throughout the game that can ruin the whole experience.
- Evil Nun: Broken Mask makes you walk through several rooms over and over, with nothing exciting in them.
- The movement of the evil nun is incredibly slow and you can outrun her by simply walking, which can kill the thrill.
8. Fobia – St. Dinfna Hotel
|Awards||Best Psychological Horror Game|
|Release Date||Jun 28, 2022|
|Developer||Pulsatrix Studios, Pulsatrix Desenvolvedora De Jogos Ltda.|
|Gameplay Type||Survival Horror, Violent, Puzzle, Shooter|
This title is more on the experimental side of the survival horror genre, as it features a combination of some interesting ideas. It is a first-person game that focuses on the psychological horror side of things. It is perfectly complemented by its visual and
The game is set in Treze Trilhas, a place where the St. Dinfna Hotel is located. The hotel itself is dilapidated that has been at the center of many disappearances. The players take on the role of Roberto Leite, a journalist attempting to solve the mystery behind the disappearances and their relation to this hotel. To his surprise, he discovers a camera on site that can shift reality to a different time.
Players must survive the game’s various horrors, such as a zealous cult and unknown entities roaming the hotel halls. Exploring the hotel is an important aspect of the game, and it comes with a slew of challenges. Because of the first-person perspective, the game can provide some unique and thrilling sensations, making for highly enjoyable gameplay. Furthermore, the option to see alternative timeframes adds to the game’s depth.
- St. Dinfna Hotel features a wide variety of puzzles that you can solve without getting repetitive.
- The narrative of St. Dinfna Hotel will capture your interest straight away because of the mystery factor.
- If you love games like Resident Evil, then St. Dinfna Hotel is the perfect game for you.
- The environments in St. Dinfna Hotel are designed very well and feel interconnected.
- The graphics in St. Dinfna Hotel are great, as they contain highly detailed character models and environments.
- St. Dinfna Hotel focuses a lot on exploration, giving you the freedom and time to look around your environment carefully.
- The sound design of St. Dinfna Hotel is excellent and has a lot of realistic sounds.
- The combat is incredibly clunky and awkward, which makes the entire gameplay feel unsatisfying.
- Sometimes St. Dinfna Hotel can be a bit illogical and have moments with weak writing.
- St. Dinfna Hotel does not contain too much horror and focuses on puzzles instead.
- While the graphics are great, the animations are unpleasant and look very stiff, making the cutscenes a chore to sit through.
9. Dying Light 2
|Awards||Best Zombie Horror Game|
|Release Date||February 4, 2022|
|Gameplay Type||Co-Op, Zombies, Open World, Combat, Exploration|
Dying Light 2 is the second installment in the critically acclaimed survival horror series that no one needs to be introduced to. It improves on every facet of its predecessor and provides the players with a more complete package. This time around, the story is even better, with various endings. It is one of those games that even players who are not a fan of the genre know of, and it is one of the best survival horror games of 2023.
The plot takes place in The City, one of humanity’s final settlements on a virus-infested Earth. It has its own set of issues and conflicts, and the civilization within it has degraded for many years. The players take on the role of a wanderer who has visions of memories that he cannot make sense of. It is up to the players to decipher these memories and learn the truth about this horrible planet.
Each decision in the game has repercussions, and there are various courses you can take. Players can engage with a variety of characters, which they can choose to befriend or battle. The game includes a vast open-world area for players to explore as well as a variety of combat elements. There is also the option for co-op, which may be appealing to those who wish to play the game with a companion.
- The parkour in Dying Light 2 is very dynamically animated, which makes it very fun.
- The developers of Dying Light 2 are involved in the game a lot and frequently listen to community feedback.
- Dying Light 2 has some awesome physics that make the whole experience much better.
- There is a lot of content for you to engage yourself with inside Dying Light 2, especially for its price.
- The soundtrack is very good as it perfectly fits the moment and enhances it while staying memorable.
- The graphics in Dying Light 2 are breathtaking and do a great job of immersing you in the game.
- The story of Dying Light 2 is very badly written and not very good at keeping you engaged throughout.
- The co-op mode of Dying Light 2 is badly designed and not very fun if you are not the host.
- The dialogue in Dying Light 2 is not very good and often gets cheesy.
- If you are looking for a horror experience, Dying Light 2 is not for you.
10. Evil Dead: The Game
|Awards||Best Multiplayer Survival Horror Game|
|Release Date||May 13, 2022|
|Gameplay Type||Action, Zombies, Survival, Multiplayer|
Evil Dead: The Game is a survival horror game featuring asymmetric multiplayer based on the iconic horror film of the same name. It is influenced by all three major films as well as television series. Players can play as Ash Williams or any of his buddies from the franchise or as a group.
The goal of the game is to play as a four-person squad as you explore and travel the world. There are numerous activities for players to participate in, such as looting and scavenging, as well as intense co-op and PVP components. Players can also take on the role of the devil, hunting down the protagonist and his pals. It’s done in a creative way that makes the game much more engaging, especially with friends.
The game is presently available on all major platforms, including PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
- Evil Dead: The Game lives up to the original lore and executes it perfectly, making it a delight to watch it unfold.
- The gameplay in Evil Dead: The Game is phenomenal and does not too repetitive or frustrating.
- The controls in Evil Dead: The Game are very responsive and stay consistent throughout the entire game.
- Evil Dead: The Game is very well-optimized, as the load times are fast and it does not have too many bugs.
- There is a wide variety of weapons that you can use in Evil Dead: The Game, making the combat feel fresh.
- You have to be very aware of the environment because the demon has unique characteristics depending on its surroundings.
- Evil Dead: The Game does not a wide variety of modes, which can make the game get old quickly.
- The majority of your time will be spent playing in the multiplayer mode of Evil Dead: The Game, as there is a lack of single-player content.
- The combat in Evil Dead: The Game does not feel very satisfying and can get tedious very quickly.
- The PvP of Evil Dead: The Game is not balanced very well, as the demon is usually at a disadvantage.
11. The Backrooms Series
|Awards||Best Creepy Survival Game|
|Release Date||August 11, 2022|
|Gameplay Type||Horror, Multiplayer, Psychological Horror, Action, Survival|
This entry is a little different from the others in our series. Keep in mind that there is no one game that belongs to this category, but several games released this year expand on this concept.
The backroom is a well-known urban legend that originated with copypastas on Tumblr. Many games attempted to implement this concept, and we will highlight one that we believe succeeded admirably. Escape The Backrooms is a multiplayer online survival horror game. It offers a number of great features like proximity audio chat and co-op that set it apart from its contemporaries.
All of the games in this category are based on the same core environmental concept of backrooms. The atmosphere is what gives these games their personality and keeps them fascinating. These games are wonderful experiences for individuals who are into this urban legend, thanks to great sound design and a spooky visual look.
- Escape the Backrooms captures the atmosphere of the original urban legend perfectly.
- The visual design of Escape the Backrooms is executed perfectly, with plain yet creepy rooms.
- Escape the Backrooms is the most accurate game to the lore of the original urban legend.
- Escape the Backrooms features a co-op multiplayer mode that is extremely fun with friends.
- Escape the Backrooms can be a very terrifying game at times, which gets your adrenaline pumping.
- There is a wide variety of levels, with each level having its unique difficulty settings.
- Escape the Backrooms is not very well optimized, with many bugs and glitches that ruin the whole experience.
- A few of the levels can sometimes make your game crash or slow down, this is especially prominent in level 8.
- The in-game voice chat is plagued with issues, with a lot of clipping and distortions that can be painful to hear.
- You can die by simply going in a different direction on some levels.
- Many players believe that Escape the Backrooms is not worth the 10 dollars because of the hoards of glitches.
|Awards||Best Immersive Sim Horror Game|
|Release Date||August 16, 2022|
|Developer||New Blood Interactive, Dillon Rogers, David Szymanski|
|Gameplay Type||Immersive Sim, Stealth, FPS, Survival|
Gloomwood is a fantastic survival horror FPS game that came out this year. It also places a high value on stealth as a mechanic. Coming from the producers of Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ultrakill, the game clearly knows what it wants to be and delivers on it.
The game is set in a dark Victorian era, similar to Bloodborne and the Cthulhu mythos. As they tour the city with their cane sword, players must solve the secret behind the fog. You have complete freedom to move about the city, from rooftops to sewers and beyond.
The stealth and sound system, as mentioned earlier, plays an important role in making this experience unforgettable. Players are incentivized to eavesdrop and avoid confrontations as much as possible. Additionally, there is also a wide array of weapons available at the players’ disposal, which include a cane sword and a shotgun, among many more.
The addition of a wide array of monsters to combat makes the game much more fascinating. Furthermore, players can use the settings to their benefit in a variety of ways, such as smashing stuff on foes or using the terrain to escape. It is a must-play for genre aficionados.
- Gloomwood gives you the freedom of being able to explore your surroundings.
- You will experience a lot of nostalgia while playing Gloomwood, as it looks like a game from the PS1 times.
- The visual design of Gloomwood is incredibly eerie and valiant, increasing the creepy factor of the game.
- The stealth mechanics in Gloomwood have an amazing design that makes them feel very satisfying.
- Gloomwood features several levels that feel connected while being unique.
- The inventory system in Gloomwood is great.
- Gloomwood has multiple difficulty options that cater to both casual and competitive players.
- The combat in Gloomwood is not the best, as it feels very awkward and unsatisfying.
- Gloomwood is an incredibly short game, with some players being able to complete it in under 3 hours.
- There is a massive lack of content in Gloomwood.
- Gloomwood can cost up to 20 dollars depending on your platform, which is way too expensive considering the game’s length.
- Gloomwood feels a bit linear and might punish you for being creative with your gameplay.
13. Nemesis Distress
|Awards||Best First-Person Horror Game|
|Release Date||June 15, 2022|
|Developer||Ovid Works, Awaken Realms|
|Gameplay Type||Survival, Horror, FPS, First Person, 3D|
Nemisis Distress is a reimagination of the famous board game Nemesis. It is a very unique survival horror game that also focuses on the multiplayer aspect. The game places a strong emphasis on teaching players that they are the prey, not the hunters.
The goal of the game is to stay alive while finishing the primary assignment. Secret objectives will also be assigned to players that others will be ignorant of. What’s more, is that it’s crucial to realize that this game isn’t entirely cooperative, and another player could be a traitor out to get you instead of a friend.
Players must sneak around the ship in which the game is located while taking advantage of the numerous mechanisms to avoid detection. The world design and sound design both lend a lot of depth to the experience. Furthermore, because they are not hunters in the game, players do not have access to guns. They instead have access to items such as a hacking tool and a noise detector.
- Nemesis Distress combines games like Among Us and Alien to create an incredibly unique gameplay experience.
- Nemesis Distress is a true survival game, as your focus is always on surviving rather than killing.
- There is a multiplayer mode available in Nemesis Distress that is very fun to play.
- The tutorial in Nemesis Distress is very good, as it does a great job of quickly explaining everything.
- The pace of Nemesis Distress is very fast, which includes the action.
- Nemesis Distress requires a bit of time to get used to because of the steep learning curve.
- There is no voice chat in Nemesis Distress, which makes it impossible to discuss the objectives and strategize.
- The graphics of Nemesis Distress do not look good, with the resolution looking grainy and blurred out.
- Nemesis Distress has way too many bugs and glitches that constantly interfere with your gameplay experience.
- The flame thrower in Nemesis Distress makes no sense and does not even damage the enemies the way it should.
|Awards||Best Adventure Horror Game|
|Release Date||October 27, 2022|
|Gameplay Type||Horror, Survival, Adventure|
Finally, last but certainly not least on our list is Saturnalia. The game is heavily inspired by and based on the real-life story of Sardina, Italy. Throughout the game, players take on the roles of four distinct characters as they unravel the secrets of this enigmatic village. All of these characters’ storylines are intricately linked, and each one contributes to the plot’s progression.
The village in which the game is set serves as a maze. Because it adheres to a rogue-lite design concept, no two iterations of the village map are alike, and each is unique. So, players must traverse this maze-like construction and unravel the mysteries while armed only with matchsticks. The game contains a plethora of intriguing riddles that each character can approach individually.
As they make their way through this foggy village, players will have to learn how to manage the extremely limited number of matches. The game’s art style is incredibly striking, and it is one of the main reasons why people should check it out.
- The setting of Saturnalia is very unique and interesting, which makes the game stand out.
- The visual design of Saturnalia is executed very well, with an uncommon aesthetic that is hard to forget.
- The soundtrack in Saturnalia is great and memorable, as you will find yourself listening to the game’s music even after finishing it.
- There are some very distinct gameplay mechanics present in Saturnalia that are very fun to play around with.
- The story of Saturnalia is pretty good and interesting, as it does a great job of grabbing your attention and keeping it.
- Saturnalia will leave you bewildered and haunted with its ending credits.
- The controls of Saturnalia are not designed very well and make the whole gameplay feel clunky.
- It is very awkward to control the camera in Saturnalia, as it can be very inconsistent.
- There are several bugs and glitches in Saturnalia that can sometimes make your character disappear completely.
- The shadows in Saturnalia are a bit too dark, as they can sometimes make it very hard to tell what is going on.
That is everything we had to entail about the best survival horror games of 2023. We have listed and explained the games that we thought were the best. Let us know if you agree or disagree with us in the comments below!
While you are here, check out some of our other articles on best games, such as:
- BEST Horror Games On Xbox Series X
- Best Games Like Elden Ring
- Best Games Like Deathloop
- BEST Pirate Games On PS5
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍