Players were super excited for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, but when it finally came out, it was a bit of a mess. Lots of folks on PCs had trouble playing because the game kept crashing and having problems, especially during playing and when starting it up. Turns out, these issues seem to be coming from inside the game itself.
To help everyone dealing with these headaches, we’ve put together a bunch of fixes for the crashes, issues, and errors in Modern Warfare 2.
System RequirementsIf you’re facing issues while playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on your PC, then there is a possibility that your hardware isn’t strong enough. MW2 is a high-demanding game and requires some serious power in order to run smoothly. Hence, it should be understood that low-tier and some mid-tier PCs won’t be able to run the game.
Compare the requirements above with your system specifications and make sure your system mates or exceedes at least the minimum requirements.
Modern Warfare 2 Stuck At “Connecting”
The ‘Stuck at “Connecting“‘ error in Modern Warfare 2 occurs when you’re searching for a game in Call of Duty MW2 Multiplayer. When players load up the game enter the Quick Play mode and search for a match, the game begins to connect to a lobby.
We have found some easy workarounds to avoid the stuck at ‘Connecting’ error for a temporary period.
- If you’re in a party, then ask the Party Leader to disband the squad and then re-invite them. If you are the party leader, then you can perform the step yourself.
- Simply back out of the Quick Play mode and pick any other mode (Ground War or Invasion), press Play, and let the game connect and search for a lobby. Once it clears up the ‘Connecting‘ section and begins searching for a match (with an indicated ping), simply back out. Now go back to the Quick Play mode and Press play.
If you follow the second method, then your COD Modern Warfare 2 will easily bypass the Connecting Stuck Error. It will no longer get stuck at the Connecting loop in Multiplayer mode.
Modern Warfare 2 Disconnected From Steam Error
Adding to the list of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 performance issues on PC, we have the ‘Disconnected from Steam Error‘. Recently, there have been a lot of reports submitted online by players.
It is to be noted that gamers who bought and launched the game through Battle.net aren’t facing such issues. The Disconnection error is only exclusive to the players who are playing Call of Duty MW2 from Steam.
Luckily, I have done the tough work for you and found some authentic fixes for the Disconnected from Steam error on MW2.
Disable Texture StreamingCall of Duty Modern Warfare 2 has included the ‘On-Demand Texture Streaming‘ feature in its settings. It allows players to load up textures while they play the game. This can lead to unannounced crashes if your system is unable to handle the pressure.
Therefore it is best to turn this feature off and then run the game. As per our findings, a lot of players have found this fix fruitful against the ‘Disconnected from Steam’ error on Modern Warfare 2.
Clear Steam Web Browser Data‘Clearing Steam Web Browser Data’ was another common solution we found among the Call of Duty MW2 forums online. You perform this step by simply venturing into the Settings of your Steam engine. While you’re at it, Clear the Download Cache, which is capable of fixing many other performance issues in COD MW2.
- Once you open up Steam, click the ‘Steam‘ option in the top left corner.
- From the drop-down menu pick ‘Settings‘.
- You will now see the Settings window appear in front of you, go to the ‘Web Browser‘ category and click ‘Delete Web Browser Data‘.
- Similarly, choose the ‘Downloads‘ option in Settings to ‘Clear Download Cache‘.
You can also try out the following basic troubleshooting steps for Disconnected from Steam error in Modern Warfare 2.
- First up you should Verify the Integrity of the game files on Steam.
- Other than that, you can also try running Modern Warfare 2 as an Admin.
- You could also disable background apps and in-game overlays to allow your PC to focus on MW2 solely.
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Travis Rilea Error
Connection issues seem to be the new norm with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Either way, it is never nice to get hit with a connectivity error in MW2. While we’re at it, let us talk about the recent Travis Rilea Connection Failed Error that a lot of players are facing while playing Call of Duty MW2.
It is worth mentioning that the Travis Rilea error can also be caused by server problems from the back end. Hence, it is best that you check Activision, Steam, PSN, and Xbox Server Statuses before trying to fix the issue.
To fix it, try shutting down Steam completely and restarting it. Also, check your NAT Type—NAT Type 1 is best. And if you can, play the game using a wired internet connection instead of Wi-Fi. That might help sort out these connection troubles.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Hueneme Concord ErrorAnother common issue that players are facing is the Hueneme Concord Error in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. This error is linked to your internet connection and Call of Duty servers. Hence fixing the issue can be a bit tedious.
The most common fix for the MW2 Hueneme Concord error that we’ve found and tried ourselves is by clearing the cache on your PC or gaming console. It won’t take long and can be done in a matter of minutes (except for on PlayStation).
For the vast majority of players, turning on a VPN has been successful. But it’s merely a short-term solution since switching servers can be a nuisance because of the lag. Even though it’s a mediocre approach, it nonetheless solves the Hueneme Concord problem in MW2 and is by far the most effective solution discovered so far.
Other than the fixes we have mentioned above, there are some other makeshift solutions to fix the Hueneme Error in MW2.
- First and foremost, try switching your Internet Connection.
- You can also set up Port Forwarding to open up new ports for your console or PC. The port forwarding method is very technical; to pull it off, you will first need a Static IP Address and then head to your Router’s Settings through the browser. Locate the Port Forwarding section and enter the relevant TCP or UDP (mentioned in our full Hueneme Error guide).
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Dev Error 356One more issue that a lot of gamers on PC have been facing is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Dev Error 356. The error has occurred right on launch and even during playthroughs for many people. We searched around the Internet and found out that the error was caused by problems in the main directory files of the game.
Call Of Duty MW2 “Status Installing” ErrorAdding to the list of errors we have come across a new one in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. After its full release, many people were facing the Status Installing Error while trying to get into the Multiplayer mode in MW2. Unlike the previously mentioned error, this bug was faced by gamers playing MW2 on PC, PS, and Xbox.
Infinity Ward has recognized the issue and addressed it on social media. Hence, players can expect an update, sooner or later, which will fix the Installing bug in MW2. With that said, for now, you can use the following methods to fix the Installing issue on COD MW2.
The First method is as follows:
- Reach the ‘Status: Installing‘ bug after launching Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
- Cancel the prompt by pressing the relevant button on your platform.
- Back out from the menu until you reach the first menu screen of MW2.
- Start the game by pressing ‘X/A‘.
- A Status prompt will open up, however, cancel it yet again.
- Choose the ‘Go Offline‘ option.
- Click on the ‘Resume Game‘ in the Campaign mode, but once it loads up quit the game.
- Now go back to the first screen and load the game once again.
- The game should work properly now without any bugs.
As for the PS5 Players, you can try another method which is as follows:
- Close the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on your PS5.
- Then press the ‘Select‘ button on top of the MW2 icon.
- Choose ‘Manage Game Content‘ from the drop-down menu.
- From the list of Packs and files, Delete the Multiplayer and Co-op packs.
- Reinstall them again and then launch Call of Duty MW2.
Now the error should be gone for good. These makeshift fixes may be a bit tiresome, but they seem to fix the Installing Multiplayer error in Call of Duty MW2.
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Not Launching
On PC, players have been facing constant crashes when trying to launch Modern Warfare 2. For some of them, the screen turns black whenever they open up COD MW2, and after a while, it crashes. While others do not even reach the black screen, the game doesn’t load up at all for them.
Regardless of which category you belong to, the fixes for these issues are quite similar. Fortunately, for PS and Xbox players, the crashing at launch issue is non-existent so far.
With that said, let us dive into the mix of things and present to you all the fixes you can try if COD MW2 is crashing at launch for you.
Run The Game As An AdministratorMany features that would frequently be disabled by the PC system will receive high-priority clearances if the game is run as an administrator. Hence, before you try anything else, follow the steps we have mentioned below while you’re trying to fix the MW2 not launching issue.
- Choose the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 shortcut icon on your PC.
- Right-click over it to get access to its drop-down menu.
- Select Properties from the list of options.
- In the Properties menu, pick the ‘Compatibility‘ option.
- Locate the ‘Run this program as an administrator‘ option and click the small tick box next to it.
- Apply the change and close the Properties window.
With all of that done, double-click on the COD MW2 icon to run it as an administrator. Now the PC will give the game high-level clearances against restrictions which could potentially fix your Modern Warfare 2 issues on PC.
Other fixes include some basic workarounds which don’t really need detailed explanation. If running the game as an admin does not work out for you then try quickly going through these fixes:
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Crashing Mid-Game
Another frequent problem that many players are having is that Call of Duty MW2 keeps crashing for them mid-game. These gamers are not facing any issues while launching the game on their PC, PS, or Xbox. However, once they get to the main menu or play a multiplayer match, the game instantly crashes.
One of the most common MW2 errors faced by players on PC was the ‘game_ship.exe‘ error. The Modern Warfare 2 subreddit was filled with users complaining about the error. Many people pointed out that the issue was not caused by Steam or Blizzard. Therefore, you don’t need to ponder about the engine you are launching the game from.
Disable Overlay AppsThe first simple step you can perform to fix the problem is to disable any overlay apps you have running in the background. Most of the time, especially with newly launched games, overlay apps can come into conflict with the game’s file. This could be one of the reasons why MW2 keeps crashing for you on your PC.
Some of the most common overlay apps include Discord, Steam, Xbox Gamebar, and GeForce Experience. If you’re running any of these on your system then proceed to turn their overlay features off, as it could ultimately fix the Call of Duty crashing issue.
Scan & RepairIf you’re already well accustomed to the Battle.net engine then you’d be similar to their ‘Scan & Repair‘ feature. Sometimes these broken files can cause major issues in a game. Hence, it is likely that your Call of Duty MW2 on the PC could have some bad files that need some fixing. Such files can cause crashes, bugs, and lags in MW2. The good thing about the ‘Scan and Repair’ feature is that it not only points out the problem but also fixes it too.
Parallax EffectA lot of PC gamers have faced an MW2 crashing issue, where a prompt box appears with the statement which reads, ‘Unfortunately, the application has unexpectedly stopped working. Trying a ‘Scan and Repair’ might solve the issue.’
The problem is that many people who faced this crash error tried using the ‘Scan and Repair’ feature. However, it didn’t seem to solve the issue. Luckily, we found the solution on how you can fix the scan and repair error in MW2 on a PC. The steps are simple and will require you to open the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 in-game settings.
- Open Battle.net on your PC
- Choose Call of Duty MW2 from the library and run it.
- Go to the in-game Settings.
- Choose the Interface sub-option inside the settings tab.
- Scroll down until you find the ‘Parallax Effects‘ and turn it Off.
This simple fix will make the ‘scan and repair’ error go away on your PC. Once you’re all done, simply restart MW2 and then wreak havoc without any worries about your game getting crashed.
Call Of Duty Screen Flickering Bug On PCApart from all the crashes and bugs, a lot of players on PC have also been noticing screen flickers while playing MW2, which is usually followed by the game crashing. The issue has been exclusively experienced by Nvidia users.
It seems like the latest Nvidia GPU driver is not fully supporting Call of Duty MW2 right now for many gamers. Fortunately, there is an easy fix that you can perform to head clear of this Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 bug. All you need to do is Roll Back your Nvidia drivers on your PC. Here are the simple steps.
- Search for ‘Device Manager‘ on your PC.
- Locate ‘Display Adapters‘ and expand it to reveal the GPU installed on your system.
- Choose your Nvidia Graphic card and double-click on it.
- Now choose the ‘Driver‘ tab from the properties menu.
- Choose and click on the third option which reads ‘Roll Back Driver‘.
If the above method does not work for you, then you can also download an older version of your GPU driver from Nvidia’s website. For now, it seems like Nvidia 516.59, 522.25, and 526.47 Drivers work fine with Call of Duty MW2.
Related: Warzone 2 Crashing
With that, we reach the end of our Error Fix guide. We hope you found the answers you were looking for to fix the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Crashing issues on PC and other gaming consoles. We did our best to cover some of the most common errors that players are facing around the globe.
By following our advice, your problem regarding COD MW2 should now be fixed. If your system isn’t below par, you can then proceed to log in to the game and queue up for the Multiplayer servers. To learn more informative things about Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 stick around at eXputer!
Update: The COD MW2 Travis Rilea Error is now heavily occurring as well, check out our fixes.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍