The latest Open world superhero brawler title, Gotham Knights has lately come under fire for a wide variety of performance issues as well as not to mention a few different bugs and glitches too. These have resulted in quite a few annoying problems to deal with from the player’s side, the most important one being the fact that they cannot join online lobbies in Gotham Knights and receive the Failed to join error code upon attempting to join.
It is a network-related problem and the reasons for it stemming in the first place are directly related to the servers and the game files as players have managed to resort to some unconventional workarounds for it. So without further delay, let’s discuss how you can fix the Failed to join session error in Gotham Knights.
How To Fix The Failed To Join Session Error
The game features a seamless cooperative mode where players can hop in and out of your game at wish and while some may have mixed opinions on it, the whole element adds a unique dynamic style to the gameplay. But more often than not, you might not just be able to establish a proper connection to the online lobbies when trying to join friends, so hence you will run into an error pertaining to that you have failed to join the session.
Thankfully, we have gone ahead and listed some of the working methods in order to help you resolve the issue as quickly as possible without hindrances. It is all thanks to the Official Gotham Knights Subreddit as well as the Community discussions of the game on Steam that we were able to create these fixes. It is imperative that you follow each method carefully so that you do not skip any beat in alleviating yourself of this tedious problem.
Check Your Network Connection
First things first, you will need to verify the status of your internet connection and check if it is the one causing issues in connecting to the lobbies of the game. Most of the time, gamers will face a surge of low bandwidth from their router or modem which will most likely end up being the culprit behind network errors in video games.
Most importantly, in games such as Gotham Knights, you will need a strong internet connection in order to play the multiplayer aspect without any interference. If you use a weak network connection then you will run into inconveniences such as disruptions during gameplay and experiencing high latency, resulting in lagging.
However, you can completely eliminate the issue by simply switching from a wireless connection to an ethernet cable one because it will bridge any sort of gap where the bandwidth or speed may have been fluctuating. If your modem is closeby to the PC or Console then you should have no trouble linking an ethernet cord from both ends of the devices to each other.
Lastly, it is worth stating that you can implement a static IP address to your router by contacting your Internet Service Provider as this will further reassure you that your game has complete access to the backend servers at all times and that there is no chance of any future issues plaguing the gameplay.
Most importantly though, it will also remove any instances where your system might be fixated on a moderate or restricted NAT type, as allowing it to be on an Open Nat Type status will make it so that the game runs the online components more efficiently.
Evaluate The Gotham Knights’ Server Status
If you’re still facing trouble with joining a session on the game then it might be in your best interest to check the server status of the game. Unfortunately, there is no dedicated site where you can evaluate the server status but thankfully, the alternative is that you can remain up-to-date on the updates and patches to the game via the official social media account of the game on Twitter.
Knights, we’re aware of the PC matchmaking issues and have located the source. A fix is coming soon! #GothamKnights
— Gotham Knights (@GothamKnights) October 22, 2022
Surprisingly enough, The Offical account has let players know that they’re aware of the ongoing matchmaking issues of the game, which more or less correlates to the reason why the multiplayer is not working in Gotham Knights and why so many players may be running into the session joining failed prompts. The bright side is that the developers are aware of the problems, and they are hoping to add patches to fix that pretty soon.
It is strongly advised that you try to wait it out till then, especially if you’re playing the game on PC, otherwise you can try as much as you want to establish a connection with the game. But until they can iron out these sorts of annoying bugs, the best solution will always be to wait it out until the update including the fix is launched for players to download to their game.
Verify The Integrity Of Game Files
One of the few conventional methods that PC players can use to fix the multiplayer not working in Gotham Knights or in general, fix any kind of problems with their games is by verifying the directory of game files. There are some rare occasions where the vital files of video games on your desktop might end up getting corrupted or worse, deleted by some sort of random malfunction.
So as a countermeasure, launchers like Steam and Epic Games have a great function that lets you verify the directory and restore any deleted or missing files of the game. The process is pretty simple to do and we recommend doing it to check if it fixes the session joining error in the game.
- Firstly, of course, launch the Steam platform by searching for the launcher from your Windows search bar or you can directly link it to your Taskbar in order to easily access it.
- Once you have it opened, head to the Library and locate the Gotham Knights app from your list of games.
- Proceed to right-click on the game and select the Properties option from the small sub-menu.
- As shown in the image above, you will now be opened with a new menu with a list of options to modify the game such as its controller configuration as well as managing the DLC.
- For now, just scroll down to the Local Files tab.
- Here you should be able to spot the Verify Integrity of Game Files option which will begin the process.
- The entire procedure should roughly take around 10 to 15 minutes to complete depending on the size of the game, so be sure to have patience whenever you’re attempting to utilize this solution.
- Once it is complete, Steam will notify you of any missing files that need to be downloaded, or else it will simply let you know that all files are in complete order and you can run the game normally again.
If you own Gotham Knights on EGS then we worry not, as we have also covered a few short steps to help you verify the files of the game on that platform too:
- Simply open up the EGS launcher by searching it from your windows search bar or you can preferably have it pinned as a shortcut on your desktop.
- From the left-hand side, select the Library options as shown in the image above.
- Now look for Gotham Knights and click on the three small dots located next to the application title here.
- This will open up a small sub-menu where you simply need to click the Manage setting.
- Here you should spot the Verify option as shown in the image above.
- It will ask for a confirmation, after which it should start processing the verification process which just like Steam, should only take a few minutes to complete.
- Head back into the game and check if it helped resolve the multiplayer session issue for you.
Use A VPN
It has been stated by multiple users of the game that enabling a VPN service which stands for Virtual Private Network, can help you overcome the issue that lets you unable to join a session in the game.
In general, VPNs are great in order for accessing secured passageways for your network across protected servers, not only that but it also protects your data if you’re using the most premium services such as Nord VPN.
However, according to a few users on Reddit, there have been reports that using the Logmein Hamachi VPN with the friend that you’re trying to join has worked out for them easily. It is an open-source VPN that allows users to access remote devices with a private accessway, excellent for multiplayer games that are making it restrictive to join one another due to some weird issue.
Allow The Game Through Windows Firewall Access
One of the last methods on our list involves granting the game permission to access the firewall settings of Windows which will let it freely access the Public and Private domains of the network too. It is important that you do this since Gotham Knights’ multiplayer will be able to connect you through all available channels once permitted through the firewall settings on your Windows desktop.
- You can easily open the main Firewall settings simply by searching for it in your windows search bar.
- Do not be confused by the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security as we are only looking to select the one highlighted in our image shown above.
- You will now be presented with a menu where you need to click on the top-left setting which is called Allow an App or feature through the Windows Firewall in order to continue.
- You should now be able to go through the list of installed applications and software on your system and select which one you want to allow through the firewall settings of Windows.
- Instead of going through the prolongated list of apps, At the bottom of the menu, there should be an option to Allow another app which will let you directly choose one from your file manager.
- Now all you have to do is simply select the executable file of Gotham Knights from whichever disk drive location you have it downloaded or installed.
- Make sure to tick the two boxes under Private and Public as shown in the image above to apply the settings, after which you can safely head back into the game and evaluate if the changes help you fix the session joining error or not.
If you still didn’t manage to resolve the issue then it’d be best to submit your issue to the Official Bug Support Site of Gotham Knights where players have reported ongoing problems present in the game. Aside from that, we have mentioned the workarounds and known solutions that most of the community suggested and are working on efficiently on their end.
This wraps up our guide on how to fix the failed-to-join session error in the game, we hope it helps you out in resolving the error as soon as possible. The last ray of hope can only be that WB Games Montreal responds to the backlash of these complaints soon because the game is slowly turning out to be worst for most players. Let us know if you manage to fix these headache problems of the game, as always eXputer wishes you luck!
- Scorn Crashing on PC
- Grounded Multiplayer Not Working
- Destiny 2 Error Code Centipede
- Fortnite Matchmaking Error
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍