Gotham Knights are shaping up to be one of the most poorly received games on the market right now, as it is jam-packed with issues that are causing the game to crash on PC. The game is already limited to a 30FPS framerate on consoles to make it run at a somewhat stable optimization. However, the same can’t be said for PC users as they are in a whole other world of trouble as the crashes include the game being stuck during loading screens or generally crashing at launch or startup.
- Check the Minimum System requirements and the Recommended Requirements if your PC doesn’t match these then you will have trouble running the game smoothly.
- Updating your Graphics Card Driver can also help fix crashing since the Graphics Card Driver is a vital component; without it, you can easily run into issues.
- Keeping your Windows System up to date will help to continue running things smoothly.
- Running the game on Administrator Settings will allow the game to take full advantage of the resources of your system.
- Verify the Integrity of the game files and make sure there aren’t any missing or corrupted files in your game directory.
- Run a clean boot which will make sure that your PC is focusing on a single specific application. This will also use less GPU and RAM, which will guarantee that every resource from your PC is being used to run the game.
- Switching to a High-Performance Power Plan can help boost the capabilities in task management and performance across the board.
- Reinstall DirectX and Redistributables; however, only do this if nothing else works for you.
Thanks to the Community Forums of the game on Steam and the Official Gotham Knights Subreddit, we have prepared a list of workarounds and fixes that will help you overcome the crashes. We urge you to follow each method carefully so you don’t skip over anything to alleviate this game’s problems.
Check The System Requirements
Upon release, it has become a well-known aspect that Gotham Knights is a terribly optimized game, so, unfortunately, if your PC isn’t packing the best hardware, you are bound to run into crashes more often; so hence why, before you even think of downloading or playing the game, make sure to evaluate the system requirements which the Gotham Knights’ Steam Page officially states.
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K (3.7 GHz) / AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (3.60 GHz)
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti / AMD Radeon RX 590
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 45 GB available space
- The developers have also stated that these components are the best to run the game at low settings to achieve a 60FPS framerate with a 1080p resolution.
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K (3.8 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (3.7 GHz)
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 or AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 45 GB available space
- The developers have also mentioned that these settings will help run the game at High settings while favored on Quality with a 60FPS framerate and 1080p resolution. Yet the opposite is in effect here as even the RTX 3000 series cards from Nvidia struggle to run the game at a decent framerate due to the horrible optimization.
Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
As shown in the image above, keeping your GPU or Graphics Card drivers up-to-date is vital as it is the crown jewel of your system and without it being at optimal status, you are pretty much destined to run into crashes or any other kinds of issues in your games such as Gotham Knights. It isn’t a well-optimized game per see, but it’s imperative to know that you can’t run it unless your GPU is running at the latest software.
Hence, the first method on our list pertains specifically to check for driver updates on your graphics card, as most gamers will likely be using either Nvidia’s GTX and RTX series cards or AMD’s Radeon lineup. The companies of these cards will sometimes release new drivers once every few weeks or so or whenever a heavy-hitter game arrives on the market.
Thankfully, with the dedicated control panels of both Nvidia and AMD, you should be able to download new driver versions with relative ease automatically. You can also directly check and scan for any updates that the control panel might’ve missed, but if you are looking to manually scan for driver updates through your operating system, then follow the steps below to update the Display Adapter component of your PC:
- Firstly, open up the Device Manager menu by searching it in your windows search bar, or alternatively, you can press the Windows + X keys together to open it from the small menu here, as shown in the image above.
- You simply need to locate the Display adapters in the list of components.
- Right-click on them, and you should now be presented with the option to manually update their drivers, which will directly update the GPU.
- Select the Search automatically for drivers option here, allowing your desktop to search for it in the browser and automatically put it on download for you.
Update The Windows OS
As shown in the image above, keeping your Windows operating system updated heavily benefits your system in running all sorts of tasks more efficiently, whether it’s work or playing video games. Microsoft releases new versions of its operating systems almost every other day, so even missing out on downloading any updates can slow the PC’s performance.
Fortunately, If you are on Windows 10, you should be able to detect new updates automatically, as your desktop will notify you and install them in the background. You can also choose to schedule them for a later time or update them as you are powering off your PC for the day. You can search for the Windows Update Settings from the search bar or simply press the Windows + I keys together to open it directly.
As shown in the image above, Additionally, you can head into the View Optional Updates below the Check For Updates option, and if you want to ensure further everything is running smoothly, you can install these optional updates to your system. It will make sure you’re not missing out on anything that will help run Gotham Knights at the optimal levels without any sort of roadblocks in the way.
Run The Game On Administrator Settings
According to a few Reddit users, running Gotham Knights under administrator privileges allows it to run a little bit better on their systems, and it’s a chance that anyone is willing to take to improve the optimization so that it doesn’t repeatedly crash on their PC. It will also grant access and permit the game to fully take advantage of the valuable resources of the system so it can run at the optimal state.
Most players can launch the game under admin settings via the shortcut properties but if you want to allow it to access administrator commands permanently, then follow along with the steps below:
- First of all, you will need to locate the executable file of the game, which will be marked as a ‘.exe’ at the end of it, and it will be used to launch the game.
- Right-click on the game and select the Properties option from the list.
- There will be a new pop-up menu that will feature a few different tabs, such as Security and Details, as shown in the image above.
- Head to the Compatibility Tab, where we can register the game to run under Administrator settings.
- Here, the setting should be below with a box next to it labeled “Run This Program as Administrator.”
- Check mark the box and apply the settings to save it. The next time you launch the game, it will always be under admin accountability.
Verify The Integrity Of Game Files
An essential solution to resolving the crashes occurring on Gotham Knights while playing it on PC is checking the game directory for any missing or corrupted files. During some rare instances, players will run into unexpected discrepancies, which will cause the game to close without any warning, resulting in a crash that you will likely run into again if not resolved soon.
So in order to alleviate players of these kinds of problems, launchers such as Steam and Epic Games Store offer a method to verify the game files for any deleted or missing ones. These files are vital to the proper functioning of the game, and if by any chance they end up getting modified or altered, you soon face annoying malfunctions. Follow the steps below on how you can verify the game files on each store platform.
- From the image above, you will have to search up and open Steam from your Windows search bar, or you can have it pinned in your task for ease of access.
- Once you have opened up the launcher, navigate to the Library tab and locate the Gotham Knights application from the list of games.
- Right-click on the game and select the Properties option from the small sub-menu.
- From here, go to the Local Files section, as shown in the image above.
- You will now be able to select the Verify Integrity Of Game Files here
- The process should now begin where Steam will check the directory for any missing or deleted files, but be mindful that it will take some time, depending on the size. With games such as Gotham Knights, expect around 10-15 minutes for the procedure to complete.
- Whenever it is done, the launcher will notify you that either all of the files are validated or it will download the missing ones. Now head back into the game and evaluate if this helped you fix the crashes.
- Launch the Epic Games Store by searching for it in your Windows OS search bar, or as previously stated, you can also have it pinned in your taskbar too.
- On the main page of the store, click on the Library option at the left of the home screen.
- Here locate Gotham Knights and click on the three dots next to it when hovering over the title.
- From here, simply click on the Manage option, as shown in the image above.
- You should now be able to Verify the game files, and just like Steam, it should take at least 10 minutes to complete depending on the size of the games.
- Once the process is complete, head back into the game and verify if it helped you cure the crashes.
Run A Clean Boot
There is a convenient method that allows PC users to boot up their computers without interrupting or conflicting background apps and software. It helps your system perform much more refreshed compared to the standard bootup you usually do in your everyday life of using it.
The clean boot has been easily regarded as the most efficient way to make sure the PC is focusing on one single application or task right after the startup because both the CPU and RAM will essentially have less usage and thus will guarantee that every valuable resource from your PC is being used to run Gotham Knights as smooth as possible.
The procedure is pretty simple enough because as long as you closely follow the detailed steps given below, you should be able to complete the required prerequisites and perform a clean boot on your desktop:
- Type in “Run” in the Windows search bar to open up the Windows Command Box.
- Here, simply type in “Msconfig,” as shown in the image above.
- You will now be displayed with the System Configuration menu, and the first thing you need to do here is select the General tab at the top and here; look to the bottom of the menu to spot the Load Startup Items option, as shown in the image above.
- Uncheck the box next to it, and apply the settings to move on.
- Head to the Services tab located in between the Boot and Startup options at the top of the menu.
- At the bottom, checkmark the box labeled “Hide all Microsoft Services” and then click on the Disable All prompt to the right of the menu, as shown in the image above.
- It will basically make it so that none of the background tasks launch on your desktop whenever you boot up the PC next time.
- The last step involves opening up the Task Manager by either right-clicking the taskbar and opening it up from there, or you can simply do it by pressing the CTRL + ESC and Shift keys together.
- Navigate to the Startup tab as shown in the image above and disable all of the pre-enabled programs here, especially those with high startup impact next to them.
- Now all that’s left is to reboot your PC and head back into the game if it helped you overcome the issues.
Switch To High-Performance Power Plan
If you’re still on the fence about improving the performance of Gotham Knights and causing less room for errors to occur, then you should opt to switch the power management of the desktop. Windows 10 offers a setting where you can increase the power consumption of the system and boost the capabilities in task management and performance across the board.
However, it is advised you only enable it when you’re playing the game or trying to squeeze every bit of juice to run Gotham Knights without any hindrances. You can enable the High-performance power plan in Windows 10 by following the steps below:
- You can easily open up the Power Plan settings by searching it in the Windows search bar, as shown in the image above.
- Once here, your primary focus should be on the Choose or Customize Power Plan on the front page, as you can see from the image above.
- Under the preferred plans, you should be able to spot only a balanced or power saver plan.
- The High-Performance mode is hidden under the Hide Additional Plans option, just select it, and it should be automatically applied to the system.
- Just to be safe, restart the PC and then launch Gotham Knights to see if it helped improve the stability.
Reinstall DirectX And Redistributables
If all hope is lost, then you can also try redownloading the DirectX graphics API, which is continually updated with every new GPU driver’s release and by your operating system itself too. The redistributable includes C++, which is mandatory to run rendering commands and other elements in a video game.
Thankfully you can head to the Official Microsoft Site to download both these things and more, which will help ensure that Gotham Knights is running with the latest components on your PC. They are not too huge in size, so it should only take a couple of seconds to download at most and apply to your system directory.
The Wrap Up
Gotham Knights have had a rough launch as of late because the game has one of the worst optimizations, and to add more fuel to the fire, the developers brought the information up that the game would be locked at a 30FPS framerate at 1080p resolution on launch for next-gen consoles such as the PS5 and Xbox Series X. This obviously upset the player base who were looking forward to playing the game.
It is unclear whether or not WB Games will improve the ecosystem of the game and polish out most of the issues plaguing it. But if anything significant comes up, we will be sure to update you as soon as possible. We hope this error fix helps fix you fix Gotham Knights crashing on PC, and as always, eXputer wishes you luck!
Other Error Fixes Guides:
- Gotham Knights Failed To Join Session Error
- Steelrising Crashing on PC
- Overwatch 2 Error Code HF-5
- Grounded Multiplayer Not Working
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍