A large number of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare players have been experiencing random crashes to the desktop with a dialog box appearing at the time of the crash that reads “Fatal Error: Dev Error 6178“. This error mostly appears while the map is loading. This is a very frustrating error because it makes the game unplayable for a lot of users. Keep in mind, this error is specific, however, related Errors in Modern Warfare Include the Dev Error 6068.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a 2019 first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision. The game was praised for its gameplay, campaign (being considered by critics as one of the best in the franchise), multiplayer, graphics, and overall improvements to the Call of Duty formula.
How to fix Dev Error 6178?
Dev Error 6178 could occur due to various reasons such as outdated graphics drivers, program conflicts, corrupt game files, incorrect game settings. This guide will discuss 12 different methods that could troubleshoot Modern Warfare. These methods have helped fix the error for a lot of users. Hopefully, they will also help you in getting rid of the error and get you right back into the game in no time.
Update Your Graphics Driver
If you are getting Dev Error in Modern Warfare, there is a big chance that the error occurred due to outdated graphics drivers. You should always update your GPU drivers to the latest version whenever it becomes available. Updating your graphics drivers can sometimes help solve the game crashing issue and also fix other performance problems. Here are the links for NVIDIA and AMD’s graphics driver download pages.
Disabling In-Game Overlay
Sometimes the overlay features of other applications could cause performance problems and crashing issues. NVIDIA and AMD also have their own overlays that you can turn off from the settings tab. You should also turn off any other apps’ overlay features like Origin, Discord, Teamspeak as they could also be conflicting with your game and causing it to crash. Therefore, we recommend turning off any overlay apps that you might have running in the computer background.
Close Unwanted Programs
If you have too many programs running in the background, it could affect the performance of your computer and cause games to crash. Close any background application from the system tray or the task manager that you might not be using at that moment. After doing so launch the Modern Warfare application to see if the crashing persists.
Run Game as Administrator
Dev Error 6178 could also occur due to the program not running with administrator privileges. You should try running the Modern Warfare application as an administrator. Doing this will give the Modern Warfare executable file full access to any of the game files on your PC. To run the program as an administrator follow the steps below.
- Right-click the Modern Warfare Application on your desktop and select Properties.
- Head to the Compatibility tab
- Tick-mark the Run this program as an administrator box.
- Click OK.
- Run Modern Warfare to see if the problem is resolved.
Repair Game Files Via Battle.net
Repairing Modern Warfare through Battle.net could replace any of the corrupt game files that could be causing the game to crash. We recommend trying this method before you jump to other solutions as it could easily solve Dev Error 6178.
- First, launch the Blizzard Battle.net launcher.
- Head to the games tab and select Modern Warfare.
- Click on Options, on the left side of Redeem a Code.
- Now select Scan and Repair.
- Wait for verification to complete.
After the scan completes, try running the game to see if the problem is solved.
Set High Priority in Task Manager
According to some users, the Modern Warfare Dev Error was fixed by simply changing the processor priority from Normal or Low to High in the Task Manager. We recommend you try this method out before jumping to other solutions mentioned below. Follow these steps to change Modern Warfare to High priority in the Task Manager.
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Alt + Control +Delete.
- Now head to the Details Tab.
- Search for Modern Warfare in the list of programs.
- Right-click the program and change the priority to High.
- See if the error still occurs while playing the game.
Change Graphics Settings
Some users have reported that setting the texture resolution to Normal or High can fix the Modern Warfare Dev Error 6178.
- Open Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
- Head over to Settings > Graphics.
- Under Details & Texture settings, change Texture Resolution to either Normal or High.
- Restart the game to see if the problem is solved.
Turn off Nvidia G-Sync
Some NVIDIA users were able to fix the Dev Error by disabling the G-Sync from the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Right-click on the desktop and click on NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click on the plus sign next to “Display” on the left to expand the list and choose Set up G-Sync.
- Uncheck the box next to Enable G-Sync and apply the settings.
- Restart your computer and see if you still encounter the error.
Update Windows 10
Windows Updates can help you fix any bugs that could be causing performance problems and errors. We recommend you try this method as it could fix the Modern Warfare Dev Error.
- Open the Windows Search Menu by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type Windows Update in the search box, select the Check for updates option.
- Click on Check for updates, Windows will search and download the latest update.
- After the download is complete, restart your computer to install the update.
Run Modern Warfare to see if the problem is fixed.
Play in Windowed Mode
Playing in windowed has also helped some Modern Warfare users fix the Error 6178.
- Launch Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
- Head over to Options > Graphics.
- Under Display Settings, Change Display Mode to Windowed.
- Play the game to check if Dev Error 6178 still occurs.
Enlarge Pagefile on Windows
Some users were able to troubleshoot the error by enlarging the pagefile on their Windows. if the Windows Pagefile does not have enough space, it could make games and other softwares crash.
To enlarge the pagefile on Windows, carefully follow all of the steps below.
- Press Windows key+ R, type in sysdm.cpl, and press Enter.
- In The System Properties Window, Open The Advanced Tab.
- Click on “Settings” under “Performance”. A new window “Performance Options” will open.
- Click on “Advanced” and then press “Change”. A new window “Virtual Memory” will open.
- Deselect “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” and select “Custom size” under the drive of your choice.
- Set the initial size for your paging file in MB according to the paging file size for the drive already listed (if applicable), then enter your custom maximum size, which shouldn’t exceed 4 times the size of your RAM for system stability. Don’t forget to click “Set” so that the changes will apply.
- Restart your computer.
Note: Ideally, the size of your paging file should be 1.5 times your physical memory at a minimum and up to 4 times the physical memory at most to ensure system stability. if your PC has 8 GB RAM. You can calculate your minimum paging file size with this equation: 8 GB x 1.5, and your maximum paging file size with this one: 8 GB x 4. The totals would be 12 GB and 32 GB of RAM respectively.
Reinstall the Game
Sometimes Battle.net is unable to identify some corrupt game files during the repairing process. The only way to solve this problem is by completely reinstalling the game. Make sure to not pause the download process as it could damage the game file that is being downloaded, this is a known issue in Blizzard’s Battle.net client.
- Launch Blizzard Battle.net client on your computer.
- Find and click on Call of Duty Modern Warfare from the list on the left.
- Now on the right side, click on the Options drop-down menu and choose Uninstall Game.
- After the game uninstalls, download Modern Warfare again.
- Run the game to see if Dev Error is resolved.
That concludes our Modern Warfare Dev Error 6178 troubleshooting guide. All of these methods were proven to be very effective in fixing the Fatal Error 6178 by a large number of Modern Warfare users. We hope you are also able to successfully troubleshoot this error by following these solutions. If the error still occurs after trying these solutions, contact Battle.net Support and they will help you in identifying the exact cause of the problem after you provide them with all of the necessary information.
Are you experiencing performance issues in Modern Warfare and want to know the best settings for high frame rate and maximum performance? Then check out our guide on How To Get High FPS In Call of Duty: Warzone.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍