It has been almost two months since the launch of Modern Warfare 2, and players are still running into all kinds of errors, issues with the audio, and lobby bugs. For many players, it has become very frustrating to constantly keep running into these problems that are preventing them from enjoying the game.
Recently, Infinity Ward put out an update for Modern Warfare 2 that fixed some of these issues. But the new update also brought its share of problems. Since the update, many players have been running into errors that are preventing them from joining multiplayer matches.
“Join Failed You Are On A Different Version. Status: Savannah” is one of these new errors that pop up when players search for matches in the lobby. This error usually occurs whenever there is a new update. Luckily, it is also one of the easiest errors to solve. Here’s how to do it.
- Many players have been facing issues with the “Join Failed You Are On A Different Version” error in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
- The error mostly pops up whenever Infinity Ward puts out an update for the game.
- The error occurs because the game is not updated to the latest version and the console version is different.
- Fortunately, the error can be easily solved by updating the game files, restarting the system, and updating the console version.
What Causes Join Failed You Are On A Different Version Error in MW2?
This error usually occurs whenever Infinity Ward releases an update for Modern Warfare 2. The error appears with a dialogue box that reads: “Unable to join game session, the host cannot be joined, or gameplay is paused” when the player tries to connect with their friends. The error occurs whenever the player’s current game version is not the same as the version of the game servers.
How To Fix MW2 Failed To Join Different Version Error?
If you play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 regularly, this error can be very annoying as it will prevent you from joining multiplayer matches. As long as all of the players in the lobby don’t have the latest version of the game installed on their respective systems, the “Unable to join game session, the host cannot be joined, or gameplay is paused” error will occur.
If you keep running into this frustrating error when trying to play with friends, don’t worry. You can fix this error very easily by following these simple steps. We also recommend you share these solutions with your friends so that they can troubleshoot this error and join your multiplayer lobby. Let’s jump right into it.
Make Sure the Modern Warfare 2’s Servers are Running
Before jumping to other fixes below, you need to ensure that the COD: Modern Warfare 2 servers are up and running, as doing so might save you time. Head over to the official public server status page to see the current status of the game servers. There is a big chance that your problem might be caused by a server outage, as the servers go under maintenance now and then.
Try playing the game over another ISP or mobile internet
Another reason for the MW2 error may be your ISP. We recommend playing the game on your mobile internet or any other internet device to see if it helps you fix the server error in COD: MW2.
Try using a VPN
VPNs can sometimes be useful when trying to fix game server errors. For instance, you can potentially spoof your location and access servers in other countries. Using a VPN can help you bypass the game servers, potentially solving the “Join Failed You Are On A Different Version” error in MW2.
Update The Game
This is an important step to fix the “Join Failed You Are On A Different Version” error, whether you’re on the console or the game’s PC version. All of the players in the lobby must update the game on their systems to ensure that everybody is updated to the latest version of the game. Otherwise, if the game versions are not in sync, the error will occur. To update the game to the correct version of Modern Warfare 2 on your console or PC, follow the steps below:
If you’re running Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the PC. Follow these steps to update the game on your Battle.net and Steam game launchers.
Players who are running Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Battle.net launcher and need to update to the latest version should follow the steps below:
- Launch the Battle.net launcher on your PC.
- Head over to the Installed games tab in the side panel.
- Select Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and click on the gear-shaped icon next to the Play button.
- Click on Check for Updates button in the drop-down menu.
Battle.net launcher will search for any updates and then Update the game to the latest version.
If you have Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Steam games launcher, try following these steps to update the game.
- Launch Steam on your PC and log in to your profile.
- Go into your games Library.
- Click on Properties and go to the Local Files Tab.
- Choose the Verify Integrity of Game Files… option.
- Steam will then start verifying the game files and replace any files that might be outdated with their latest version. It may take some time for this process to finish.
If you’re running Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox or Playstation console, follow the steps below:
Playstation 4 and Playstation 5
To update Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Playstation 4 or 5, your Playstation must stay connected to the Internet. Without it, updates are simply impossible. Once connected to the Internet, follow the steps below to update the game.
- Turn on your Playstation Console.
- Go to the Home screen.
- Head over to the Games Tab.
- Scroll through the list and find the game you want to update.
- Highlight the game and press the Options button on your controller.
- Click on Check for Updates from the drop-down menu.
If an update is available, your Playstation will download and install it.
Xbox One and Series X/S
To update the game on your Xbox console, follow these steps:
- Go to the My Games and Apps section of your dashboard.
- Highlight the game you want to update.
- Click on Manage game and add-ons.
- See if an update is available for the game.
- If an update is available, click on the Update button.
Restart The Game
One of the easiest ways to fix “Join Failed You Are On A Different Version.” error is for everyone in your lobby to restart their game, including you. Doing so will load the latest playlists and potentially solve the error for everyone in the lobby.
Updating the Console Version
Another way to fix the MW2 different version error is by updating the console version. Here’s how to do it if you have an Xbox or Playstation console:
To update the Playstation console version:
- Open Settings, then go to system.
- Click on System Software and go to Console Information.
- Check below the system software version. If “Up to date” is shown, if it is, then you have the latest version installed.
To update the Xbox console version:
- Make sure your console is connected to the Internet, then press the Xbox button to open the guide and select Profile & system (your account icon) > Settings.
- Go to system> Updates & downloads > Update console.
- If there is a greyed-out No console update available instead of an Update console button, your console is already up to date.
Clear Your Console Cache
Clearing the console cache removes the temporary data and files from the cache and allows a fresh set to be downloaded and stored. Here’s how you can clear the console cache on the Xbox or Playstation Consoles.
- Shut Down the console completely; do not put it in sleep mode.
- Once the console is turned off, remove the power cord from the console.
- Leave the console unplugged for 5 minutes.
- Plug the power cord back in.
- Turn on the Playstation 5.
Restart Your System
As simple as it may be, restarting your system can sometimes fix the problem with the game updates by resetting the cache. If all else fails, try restarting your system, as it could potentially resolve the Join Failed Error by forcing any updates upon restart.
That’s it for our guide on how to fix the “Join Failed You Are On A Different Version” error in MW2. Contact Activision support if you still cannot resolve this error after following the fixes above. They will help you identify the problem’s exact cause after you provide them with all the necessary information.
COD MW2 and Warzone 2.0 players have also been experiencing other bugs and errors with the game. Some of these bugs include the Proximity Chat Not Working, A player that your platform denies error, and Lobbies not filling up. If you’re also experiencing these bugs, head to the Error Fixes category on our website.
We hope you were able to successfully troubleshoot the MW2 Different Version Error by following these solutions. For more informative articles related to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, stick around at eXputer!
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍