Since the dawn of Pokémon, breeding has been a fundamental mechanic in the Pokémon formula. Breeding allows you to get a competitive edge over your opponents by cherry-picking abilities to create the strongest Pokémon. Its been a straightforward process for the first few generations of Pokémon; however, with the release of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet comes new changes to the pre-existing formula.
- You can breed Pokémon by having a picnic with two Pokémon of either gender in your party.
- Alternatively, you can use a Ditto with another Pokémon to breed it.
- You can find Ditto in the West Province (Area Two) and West Province (Area Three) sections of the map.
Breeding ChangesIn Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, the basic method of Breeding is the same. Here’s an overview of how breeding works:
- Setting Up a Picnic Table: Unlike previous generations, you don’t need to visit a specific building or location to breed Pokémon. Instead, you need to find a suitable spot in the wild where the game allows you to set up a picnic table.
- Wait for Eggs: Once you’ve set up a picnic table, you simply need to wait. You can pass the time by performing actions like making a sandwich or just standing around. The key is patience. Periodically, check the basket on the picnic table to see if any Pokémon has laid an egg.
- Maximum Egg Limit: The picnic basket can hold a maximum of 10 eggs. If you already have 10 eggs in the basket, you won’t be able to collect more until you remove some.
- Transfer to Boxes: When eggs are obtained, they will normally fill up slots in your party roster. However, if your party is full, the eggs will be immediately transferred to your Pokémon Boxes.
- Egg Power Buff: To increase your chances of getting eggs, you can consume certain foods like Peanut Butter, Marmalade, Tropical, and Fruit Sandwiches. These foods provide an “Egg Power” buff, which increases the likelihood of your Pokémon laying eggs. This can be useful if you want to breed a lot of Pokémon quickly.
- Less Control Over Pairing: One drawback of this new system is that you have less control over which Pokémon breed with each other. If you have both male and female Pokémon in your party that share the same Egg Group, you may end up with eggs from various pairs.
While this new breeding system offers more flexibility in terms of location and convenience, it also introduces some randomness and may require more patience to obtain the desired Pokémon eggs. Be sure to use the Egg Power buff to improve your odds of getting eggs during your picnics.
How To Find Ditto
Since Ditto is an extremely helpful Pokémon in terms of breeding, you need to have one in your party. To do that, you first need to catch a Ditto. Sadly, Ditto is particularly difficult to find Pokémon since it can disguise itself as other wild Pokémon. However, there are a few ways to maximize your chances of finding a Ditto.Tricks to Catching Ditto:
- Press ZL and Lock On: When you’re near wild Pokémon, press the ZL button to lock onto the Pokémon you’re looking at. If you have the Pokémon registered in your Pokédex, you will also see the Pokémon’s name above its head. However, if the Pokémon is a Ditto, it will show up as “???” instead of its actual name. This method can help you identify Ditto when it disguises itself as other Pokémon.
- Learn Pokémon Behavior: Different species of Pokémon in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet have distinct behaviors when interacting with the player. Some may try to run away, some may observe the player, and others may attempt to attack. By understanding the typical behavior of a Pokémon species, you can notice when one is acting differently. For example, if you encounter a Pokémon that is usually aggressive but isn’t, it might be a Ditto in disguise.
- Telling Apart Ditto and Zorua: Both Ditto and Zorua have the ability to disguise themselves, making it challenging to differentiate them. However, they have different behaviors. Ditto will keenly observe the player, while Zorua will try to run away. By combining this knowledge with the “???” display mentioned earlier, you can identify Ditto from other Pokémon.
These tricks should help you identify and catch Ditto more effectively in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. Remember to be patient and observant, as Ditto can be quite tricky to spot due to its shape-shifting abilities.
How to Breed Pokémon
The process of Pokémon breeding has undergone many changes in recent years and has come far from the original method of joining stats, natures, and abilities together to create an ultimate competitive team.
The Original Method of Breeding PokémonIn the past, we could breed Pokémon by leaving two Pokémon of opposite genders at a Pokémon Day Care or Nursery. As long as the Pokémon were of the same egg group, you could breed them. An Egg Group is a classification of different Pokémon based on their appearance and characteristics. If two Pokémon are of the same egg group, they are compatible together.
Here’s a list of all Egg Groups
- Monster Group: Pokémon in this group are saurian/kaiju-like in appearance and nature.
- Bug Group: Pokémon in this group are insectoid (buglike) in appearance.
- Flying Group: Pokémon in this group are avian (birdlike) in appearance.
- Field Group: The largest group, Pokémon here, are terrestrial in nature.
- Fairy Group: Pokémon in this group are petite and considered very cute.
- Grass Group: Pokémon in this group are plantlike in appearance
- Human-Like Group: Pokémon in this group are fully bipedal.
- Water 1 Group: Pokémon in this group are amphibious in nature.
- Water 2 Group: Pokémon in this group are piscine (fishlike) in appearance.
- Water 3 Group: Pokémon in this group resemble aquatic invertebrates.
- Mineral Group: Pokémon in this group are inorganic in nature.
- Amorphous Group: Pokémon in this group are amorphous, having no definite form.
- Dragon Group: Pokémon in this group are draconic in appearance.
- No Eggs Discovered Group: Pokémon in this group are unable to breed.
Alternatively, players could also use a Ditto for breeding a Pokémon of any type to create a duplicate of it essentially. This feature is exclusive to Dittos as they possess the ability to shapeshift, unlike Pokémon like Zoroark, which are able to create illusions. Leaving a Ditto, as well as the Pokémon you want to breed in a Pokémon Day Care or Nursery, has the same effect. However, there are fewer possible abilities the child may possess.
Dittos fall under their own unique egg group:
- Ditto Group: As the name implies, Ditto is the only Pokémon in this group and is capable of breeding with all other Pokémon (regardless of gender) aside from those in the No Eggs Discovered and Ditto groups.
After leaving the two Pokémon together, after a while, they’ll leave an Egg. The Egg takes up one slot in your inventory and will hatch after the player has walked a certain number of steps. You can hatch the Pokémon faster if a Pokémon in your party has the Flame Body ability
- Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Money Farming Methods
- Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Pokedex List
- How To Change Clothes In Pokemon Scarlet And Violet
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍