- You can talk to a NPC to change the Tera type of your pokemon.
- Changing tera type of a pokemon requires special items.
- You can obtain tera shards through a handful of methods.
The tera pokemon you catch aren’t always of the tera type that you want them to be. This is why the game introduced a mechanic to change their tera type. In case you were wondering how to change a pokemon’s tera type in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, then look no further. We have covered all the necessary information that you need to go about this.
Changing The Tera Type
You can only change the tera type of your pokemon once you have progressed past a certain point in the story. For that to happen, all you have to do is defeat the normal-type gym leader in Medali’s Treasure Eatery.
Once you have successfully collected fifty tera shards of your wanted type, all you need to do is go to the Treasure Eatery Restaurant. Over there, you can speak to one of the NPCs, the sushi chef, who will take your shards and perform the change you want. The tera type that you change to will depend on the type of tera shards that you hand him.
Collecting Tera Shards
The tera type of pokemon can be changed in Scarlet and Violet. But it is not an easy ordeal to do so. Players have to collect a certain item that makes it possible to change the tera type in the game. This item is called a Tera Shard, and players have to collect them if they want to change the tera type of pokemon that they have captured.
These tera shards are very rare items, and rightfully so. If they were common items, the game’s balance would have been disturbed. To make sure that this doesn’t happen, there are only a couple of ways through which you can obtain these tera shards. We will now cover these methods in detail.
- Randomly find Tera Shards lying around the overworld.
- Look for red light beams to highlight potential shard locations.
- Limited in number and rely on RNG.
- Complete Tera Raids to earn Tera Shards as rewards.
- Each raid rewards shards corresponding to the Tera Pokémon’s type.
- Requires 50 shards of a specific type to change a Pokémon’s Tera type.
- Most effective method, especially for raids of 3 stars or above.
- Complete academy classes to receive Tera Shards as rewards.
- Different classes award shards corresponding to specific types.
- For example, completing Miss Tyme’s class yields 50 rock-type shards.
- Explore the cave in Area Zero for chances to find Tera Shards.
- Look for spots with unique sparkles to collect the shards.
The gimmick of this generation of Pokemon is Tera Pokemon. Like Mega Evolutions and Dynamax mechanisms before it, it gives this generation’s Pokemon a new level of complexity. Pokemon known as tera types have an additional defensive type as well as a new attacking type. This implies that a flying-type Pokemon can terastallize into an electric-type and cease to be vulnerable to electric-type attacks.
This new mechanic has delighted fans since it breathes new life into venerable Pokémon. We have now finished our guide on how to change a pokemon’s tera type in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. We hope it was helpful to you in this regard.
If you are interested in how pokemon breeding works in this game, then check out How to Breed Pokémon guide. In case you are looking for a walkthrough of the game and are a newer player, then check out Pokemon Scarlet And Violet Walkthrough. If you want to learn how to catch shiny pokemon in the game, then be sure to check out our guide on How To Find Shiny Pokémon.
Was this guide helpful? Let us know in the comments below!
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍