You need to get all three Chaos Emeralds on the Koco Island as well as Amy’s Memory Tokens to unlock the A Grave Mystery puzzle. Here is how to solve the A Grave Mystery in Sonic Frontiers.
- To unlock grave mystery you need to fulfill certain conditions, The game will prompt you to “Talk to Amy” once conditions are met.
- You cannot progress the main story without solving A Grave Mystery first.
- The puzzle involves aligning a beam of light by rotating four tombstones all to different directions. The hint is provided by dirt marks on the ground. Follow the specific order of rotating tombstones. Successfully solving puzzles will trigger a cutscene and activate the next boss.
- The next boss fight will be unlocked after completing A Grave Mystery which in turn unlocks the next region.
How to Unlock A Grave MysteryYou cannot interact with the tombstones required to solve the puzzle before fulfilling all the conditions. Otherwise, you will be greeted with locks on all the tombstone pillars.
Once you have fulfilled both conditions, the game will tell you to “Talk to Amy“. Upon doing so, A Grave Mystery will be available to you after a cutscene with Amy. She will be quite dejected as she is stuck in Cyberspace. After this conversation, Amy will also mention that you can interact with the region now, hinting that the puzzle is now available.
How To Solve A Grave MysteryTo start the puzzle, interact with any of the tombstones in front of you. This will take you to a bird’s-eye view of the whole puzzle. Upon tinkering with the tombstones, you will realize that you can rotate four tombstones to reflect the ray of light to solve the puzzle.
Sonic Frontiers does give a hint for the A Grave Mystery puzzle. The ground below has dirt marks that create the correct pattern for the puzzle. You need to align the ray of light along these patterns by rotating the tombstones to solve the puzzle.
You should also keep in mind that the controls we are showing in the images will vary based on the platform you are playing Sonic Frontiers on. Check your controller layout from the settings and use the appropriate inputs in case you are having any issues with the controls.
The Correct Order of the Tombstones
You need to rotate all the tombstones in the following order:
- First, select the leftmost tombstone and rotate it in such a way that it faces the northwest direction.
- Now, it is the rightmost tombstone’s turn. Rotate it toward the southwest direction. The ray of light will be joining the tombstones to the right of the screen.
- You will observe that the puzzle looks a lot closer to the desired result in the dirt marks now. So, choose the top tombstone and rotate this one toward the south direction. Upon rotating the tombstone, you should see the beam of light going through the central tombstone in the middle. This means that you are on the right track.
- Next, give the same treatment to the bottom tombstone. Rotate this one toward the south direction as well.
- After doing that, we need to redo the rotations to mimic the first two steps. Rotate the leftmost tombstone to the northwest direction again.
- Similarly, rotate the rightmost tombstone such that it also faces its previous southwest direction again.
AftermathOnce you get the right combination of tombstones, the beam of light will go through all the tombstones as shown in the image. Finally, a shinier beam will travel back from the endpoint to the central tombstone. This will indicate that you have successfully solved the puzzle.
Correctly solving the A Grave Mystery puzzle will trigger a cutscene with Amy in which you are both mulling over how to acquire more Chaos Emeralds. During the cutscene, you will also observe the Cyberspace unlocking the waterfall. The puzzle will also activate the Titan who you will have to face and defeat next to progress to the next region.
What is A Grave MysteryYou cannot progress any further in the game without solving the A Grave Mystery puzzle. This would not have been an issue if the puzzle was simply easy enough to solve. But as it turns out, the puzzle is pretty difficult, and a lot of players have been having trouble with it. Many players get stuck on the A Grave Mystery puzzle for hours at end.
At its core, A Grave Mystery is Sonic Frontiers’ take on the classic Light and Mirror puzzle formula that most veteran gamers are already familiar with. Similarly, fans of the Resident Evil series will also feel right at home with all these tombstones. This puzzle segues into a boss fight that opens up the next region.
Everyone’s favorite speed-loving hedgehog is back in Sonic: Frontiers. While the game definitely has some rough edges, fans are still quite elated to get to play a long-awaited good entry in the franchise that kept having bad episodes with each new launch until now. Sonic: Frontiers is a breath of fresh air for Sonic the hedgehog’s fans. Suffice it to say, Sega‘s take on the beloved speed maniac in a vast open world inspired by the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a welcome addition as signified by the high User Score.
That was all for our guide to solving A Grave Mystery puzzle in Sonic Frontiers. We covered everything from unlocking the puzzle in the first place to the required rotations and combinations of tombstones required for ultimately solving it. We also briefly touched on what is to come next. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
If you are having trouble with game mechanics like Parrying, be sure to check out our Sonic Frontier: How To Parry Guide. In case you want to know how to do Light Speed Dash instead, look into our Light Speed Dash. Lastly, if you are still on the fence about starting the game or are unsure about the timesink required, find out how long it takes to beat the game in our Sonic Frontiers: How Long To Beat Guide.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍