Having higher intellect attribute, Warlock is the spell-caster and high damage dealing class in World of Warcraft. The strength of this class lies not in direct damage-dealing but somewhere else completely, which usually is crowd-controlling by applying various debuffs and DoT effects on enemies. While the overall characteristics of the Warlock class remain the same throughout the game, picking a race for this class from Alliance or Horde side offers selective benefits and our best race for Warlock guide entails everything you should know.
While doing a raid, experienced players always take at least three warlocks with them, and here are a few reasons as to why:
- They are the best handlers for curses, soulstones, or hearthstones.
- They have CC effects such as Banish, Curse of Tongues, and Fear.
- More health than most other races.
- They have multiple ways to take damage and even obtain extra life for survival.
Now, these are some solid reasons pointing at the necessity of having Warlocks in your party. However, each race comes with a set of advantages that give an edge in the field. This guide will help you understand the best race for Warlock in PvE and PvP for both Alliance and Horde.
Related WoW Guide: How to Get to Nazjatar
Best Warlock Race In Alliance
Gnomes are the best warlock race for Alliance in both PvE and PvP due to their racial advantages. Other than racial advantages, all the warlocks are the same. There are only three Races that can be great warlocks for the alliance, and they are Gnomes, Dwarfs, and Humans. Now let’s look at all of their racial advantages to see why Gnomes are the best race for being warlocks.
Human Race Traits
- Perception: This increases your Stealth detection for 20 seconds and has a cooldown of 3 minutes. It is great for PvP if utilized properly, but it is useless in PvE.
- Diplomacy: This skill helps you gain a 10% extra reputation, which is useful for buying or acquiring the items you need. But otherwise useless.
- Sword & Mace Specialization: These two skills increase your weapon skills for swords and mace by 5, but a warlock has no use for such skills.
- The Human Spirit: This increases your spirit by 5, which has quite the opposite effect on most raids since players with warlock choose builds with “Demon Sacrifice/Ruin” talent.
Gnomes Race Traits
- Escape Artist: This rids you of any immobilizing or movement speed reduction effect. It’s great for PvP since it has a cast time of 0.5 seconds and a cooldown of 1 minute, but not that useful in PvE.
- Engineering Specialization: This increases your engineering skills by 15. It’s pretty self-explanatory, but if a gnome is taken to 315 engineering level, the Gnomish Battle Chicken and Arcanite Dragonling will be level 63 instead of level 60 when summoned.
- Expansive Mind: Expansive Mind increases your intellect by 5%, and intellect is one of the most important stats for a Warlock since with every 60 points of intellect, your mana pool and spell crit chance increases by 1%.
- Arcane Resistance: Lastly, Gnomes have Arcane resistance, which increases your arcane resistance by 10 points. This can be pretty decent in PvP against those sneaky polymorph attacks, but it’s pretty much useless in PvE.
Dwarf Race Traits
- Stoneform: This instantly removes all magic, poison, disease, bleed, and curse effects and also reduces all the physical damage taken by 10% but only for 8 seconds. A great skill to remove the effects imminently but the timing is too short with a cooldown of 2 minutes, making it not a great fit for a warlock.
- Might of the Mountain: This skill increases both bonus damage for critical strike and healing by 2%. A great passive for a warlock but 2% is not that big of a deal.
- Frost Resistance: This passive skill allows Dwarfs to take 1% less frost damage. Again not that significant number just 1% won’t make much difference.
Best Warlock Race In PvE
Humans and Dwarfs have no real racial advantages as warlocks, but Gnomes on the other hand are completely fit to be Warlocks. As a Gnome, you get a 5% increase in your intellect which directly increases your crit chance so they are the obvious choice as the Warlock race in PvE.
Best Warlock Race In PvP
In PvP, on top of Expansive Mind, Gnomes have Escape Artist plus it’s hard to click on them. Humans on the other hand have no advantage.
Best Warlock Race In Horde
Three races are gonna make great Warlocks in Horde as well, Undead, Troll, and Orc. But things get a bit complicated here. All three races Orcs, Troll, and Undeads have their own unique advantages, and they are all equally useful in different situations. But Undead can be considered a tiny bit superior to Orc and Trolls as a warlock race in PvP, but in PvE, they all are pretty much equal. Here is the list of all of their racial advantages and why all of these races are almost equally useful as warlock.
Orc Race Traits
- Blood Fury: This instantly increases your melee attack power by 25% for 15 seconds, but decreases the healing effect on you by 50% for 25 seconds. Well, this advantage is not going to help you in any way as a warlock.
- Hardiness: This grants you a chance to resist stunt by an additional 25%. In PvE battles, this is not a huge advantage since most of the stunts are event stunts meaning you can’t resist them. However, in PvP, this can be a game-winning passive racial skill.
- Axe Specialization: This racial passive increases your Axe skills by 5, which practically does nothing for a warlock.
- Command: This increases the damage dealt by your pet and Hunter by 5%, which again isn’t that huge and won’t make much difference in both PvE and PvP. But it’s worth keeping in mind.
Undead Race Traits
- Will of the Forsaken: This will make you immune to Charms, Fear, and Sleep for 5 seconds. It can also be used when you are already affected by the Charm, Fear, or Sleep effect. A very useful spell in PvP only, but it can be utilized in some PvE battles as well.
- Cannibalize: This restores 7% of your total health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. This only works on Humanoid or Undead corpses within 5 yds and if you make any moment, do an action or take damage, the Cannibalizing will stop taking effect. This effect can be used during combat and be very useful in PvP battles but is pretty useless in PvE.
- Shadow Resistance: This will increase your resistance with Shadows by 10 points. This skill is useful against Warlocks and Shadow priests in PvP, and it’s decent in PvE as well.
Troll Race Traits
- Berserking: This increases haste by 10% for melee, spell, and ranged for 10 seconds. Can be useful if utilized properly in both PvE and PvP.
- Regeneration: The effect of health regeneration is increased by 10% and will recover 10% of total health, plus it’s effective even in battles. Great effect but not a significant surge still worth it.
- Beast Slaying: When slaying beasts, the experience you gain is increased by 20%. A great racial advantage but useless for a warlock in both PvE and PvP.
- Da Voodoo Shuffle: The skills allow you to reduce the overall duration of any movement impairing effects by 20%. A great advantage in both PvE and PvP but is outclassed by other races advantages.
Best Warlock Race In PvE
For Horde, any of the races is fit to be Warlock in PvE. For Orcs, the 5% increased pet damage is useless since your DPS is not affected by your Pet. Then for Undead, the Will of the Forsaken can be useful in certain boss fights, which technically makes them better. Lastly, Trolls have the Berserking effect which makes them invincible for a while. But that choice is for you to make between all these races.
Best Warlock Race In PvP
In PvP, Undead are superior to Orcs and Trolls for obvious reasons. The Will of the Forsaken will help you get out of Charms, Fear, and Sleep effects, and then the increased shadow resistance is useful against the enemy’s Warlocks and Shadow Priestess.
At the end of the day, the race you choose is not going to make a huge difference and the fact is it won’t impact your performance much. However, if you want that picture-perfect setup then go for the best races as we have mentioned above. Otherwise, you can always play whatever race you want in the game.
We hope you found our best race for Warlock guide useful, be sure to check our following World Of Warcraft guides.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍