SEGA, the creator of many famous titles in the past such as the Sonic Series, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Tetris, comes out with the fourth rendition of the Valkyria Chronicles series, announcing it in Irvine, California on 19th June.
Valkyria Chronicles is a series of, currently, three titles with the first one coming out back in April of 2008. It first came out on the behemoth of that time, the PlayStation 3. Now, ten years later, SEGA announced the third sequel to the acclaimed title. The trailer for this can be seen below
The trailer came out, back in November of 2017 and now the game has finally been scheduled for a release in this fall. Along with this, there have been special features announced too, for the upcoming title. The features include (as quoted):
- A Coming-of-Age Story in a Time of War – Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles but focuses on a whole new cast of main characters. Players will take command of the eager, young Commander Claude Wallace, engineer/heavy weapons extraordinaire Riley Miller, hotheaded Darcsen Raz, ice-cold ace sniper Kai Schulen, and more. Together, they will experience the painful realities of war-but will the bonds of Squad E’s friendships survive the frozen battlefield?
- The Next Generation “BLiTZ” Battle System – The part overhead turn-based strategy, part RPG, and part real-time 3rd person shooter “BLiTZ” battle system returns to the field. New features include an explosive new class called the Grenadier, numerous offensive/defensive battleship support options, chances for a unit to have a “Last Stand” action before death, and more. Plus, fight the imperial threat with more units on larger-scale maps than ever before.
- CANVAS Aesthetics – The series’ signature hand-drawn visual style is back and overhauled for the newest generation. Inspired by watercolour compositions, the CANVAS Graphics Engine blends visual elements of reality and imagination to create an expressive world filled with colourful emotions. Watch the journey of Squad E unfold like an interactive painting!
- The Return of a Legendary Composer – The illustrious Hitoshi Sakimoto, the original composer of the Valkyria Chronicles series and countless other emotional epics, returns to provide a sweeping orchestral score for Valkyria Chronicles 4.
For EU and UK gamers, there will also come a special edition with a special sticker with Ragnarok on it. The special edition, battlefield hero themed edition is called Memoirs from Battle. The special edition comes bundled with special artwork book, which is of the same theme as that of Claude’s Journal, along with a replica of the Hafen. There are also some exclusive features to the $99.99 special editions (as quoted):
- Exclusive Vinyl Statue of the “Hafen” Tank – Triumphantly bursting onto the scene, the “Hafen” tank vinyl statue is ready to conquer the snowy battlegrounds of Europa. More than just a tank, the “Hafen”, named after Claude’s hometown in Gallia, is a meaningful symbol for all of Squad E’s members. This version may not have the firepower of the original, but it makes a great centerpiece for any fan’s collection!
- “Claude’s Travel Journal” Exclusive 100-Page Themed Artbook –Valkyria Chronicles 4‘s story is told through the photos, notes, and memories captured in Claude’s travel journal. This exclusive artbook, inspired by Claude’s journal in-game, features a wide selection of the beautiful watercolor-styled art from Valkyria Chronicles 4.
- A Pair of DLC Adventures Featuring Squad 7 Characters – “A United Front with Squad 7” and “Edy’s Advance Ops” reunite fans of the original Valkyria Chronicles with the soldiers of Squad 7. Fight alongside Welkin, Alicia, Isara, Rosie, Largo, and Edy in over 3 hours of gameplay across 4 exclusive story missions, featuring fully-voiced cutscenes and unique challenges! After completing these missions, you’ll unlock those six Squad 7 members, as well as Edy’s personal submachine gun for use in your army in the main game. Bolster your forces with the renowned soldiers of Squad 7!
The title will be released on 25th September, this fall. It will be available on the PlayStation, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and STEAM, for PC.