The Black Books in Skyrim are powerful and unique Daedric artifacts that were first introduced into the game with The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn expansion.
There are seven of them waiting to be found on the island of Solstheim, and they have great significance to the story of the DLC. Most of them also require a bit of effort to get to, so don’t expect them to be like ordinary collectibles in the game.
This guide will show you how you can find all seven of these powerful tomes, which rewards the player with new unique power.
All Black Book Locations
Here’s a summarized table on all the Skyrim Black Book locations:
|Nchardak Dwemer Ruins
Dragonborn Flame, and
Dragonborn Frost shouts
|Filament and Filigree
|Secret of Arcana,
Secret of Protection, and
Secret of Strength
|The Hidden Twilight
Mora’s Boon, and
|The Sallow Regent
|White Ridge Barrow
|Seeker of Might,
Seeker of Shadows, and
Seeker of Sorcery
|The Winds of Change
Lover’s Insight, and
Black Market, and
|Temple of Miraak
|Reset one skill tree and refund all spent perk points for the cost of a dragon soul
- Dragonborn Force: Your Unrelenting Force shout does more damage and may completely disintegrate enemies.
- Dragonborn Flame: When your Fire Breath shout kills an enemy, a fire wyrm emerges from their corpse to fight for you for 60 seconds.
- Dragonborn Frost: Your Frost Breath shout traps enemies in ice.
Epistolary Acumen can be found in the Dwemer Ruins of Nchardak, to the northeast of the Sun Stone.
You can access this location as part of the ‘The Path of Knowledge’ quest, which is given by the NPC Master Neloth in Tel Mithryn.
Filament and Filigree
- Secret of Arcana: Spells do not drain Magicka for 30 seconds.
- The secret of Protection: Damage is halved from all physical attacks and most magical attacks for 30 seconds.
- Secret of Strength: Power attacks do not drain stamina for 30 seconds.
This black book can be found in the nordic ruins of Kolbjorn Barrow, to the southeast of Raven Rock.
You have to complete the quest ‘Unearthed’ to get it, which can be started by talking to the NPC found within the ruins.
The Hidden Twilight
- Mora’s Agony: Summons a field of writhing tentacles that poison your enemies.
- Mora’s Boon: Completely recovers health, stamina, and Magicka.
- Mora’s Grasp: Freezes the target between Oblivion and Tamriel for 30 seconds, making them immune to all damage.
The Hidden Twilight can be found next to the Staff Enchanter in Tel Mithryn.
To unlock the room containing the Staff Enchanter, however, you first have to complete the side-quest ‘Reluctant Steward’ given by Master Neloth.
The Sallow Regent
- Seeker of Might: 10% more effective combat skills and 10% improved smithing.
- Seeker of Shadows: 10% more effective stealth abilities and 10% improved alchemy.
- Seeker of Sorcery: 10% reduction in the cost of all spells and 10% improved enchanting.
There is no quest associated with this black book.
To get it, you have to complete White Ridge Barrow’s nordic ruins to the southwest of Saering’s Watch.
The Winds of Change
- Companion’s Insight: Your attacks, shouts, and destruction spells do not damage followers.
- Lover’s Insight: +10% damage to and 10% better prices from people of the opposite ***.
- Scholar’s Insight: Reading skill books provides two skill level increases instead of 1.
The Winds of Change can be found in the nordic ruins of Bloodskal Barrow, to the north of Raven Rock.
This dungeon can be accessed through the Raven Rock Mine during the quest ‘The Final Descent.’ The quest giver is Crescius Caerellius, who can be found inside the mine.
- Bardic Knowledge: A spectral drum plays for 300 seconds and boosts stamina recovery for you and your followers.
- Black Market: A Dremora merchant spawns for 15 seconds.
- Secret Servant: A Dremora butler spawns for 15 seconds with a carrying capacity of 148 points.
Untold Legends is the second of the two Black Books In Skyrim that have no quests associated with them.
After the Word Wall in the cave Benkongerike, it can be found to the southeast of Saering’s Watch.
- Reset one skill tree and refund all spent perk points for the cost of a dragon soul.
Waking Dreams is one of the most useful Black Books In Skyrim. It is located in the Temple of Miraak, directly in the center of Solstheim.
It is found during the quest ‘The Temple of Miraak,’ as part of the DLC’s main story. You can find the quest giver Free as you approach the location for the first time.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍