To get a quest in Skyrim, you need to interact with NPCs throughout the game. The quests include objectives like retrieving something, defeating a boss, or solving puzzles. Once you complete a quest, you will usually be rewarded with something valuable and rare. However, not all quests reward you the same. Therefore, depending on the reward and story, there are 20 best quests that you should complete in Skyrim.
- With the Companions quest, you will become their leader upon completing the quest.
- Completing the College of Winterhold quest will make you a wizard, giving you access to new spells, abilities, and perks.
- In order to get Aretino Family Heirloom as a reward, you will need to complete the Innocence Lost quest.
- Players who prefer getting more skills should focus on The Way of the Voice quest, as they will get to learn all words of the Whirlwind Sprint.
- Completing the Hard Answers quest will reward you with the Nightingale Blade.
- The House of Horrors may seem like a challenging quest, but The Mace of Molag Bal as a reward makes it worth it.
- In order to get an amulet that gives 30 points of health, magicka, and stamina, you will need to complete the Forbidden Legend quest.
- The Mind of Madness has three main tasks; in the end, you will find Wabbajck in your possession.
- Completing Kyne’s Sacred Trials will reward you with Froki’s Bow and Kyne’s Token.
- The Cursed Tribe quest requires you to be at least at level nine. Here, you will need to fight a giant. In the end, you will have to place the mace on the Altar. It will then transform into Volendrung, and then you can keep it.
- To Kill an Empire is the best quest overall due to the high stakes and the plot twist that happens in the end.
20. Diplomatic ImmunityQuest Location:
- The Diplomatic Immunity quest takes place in the Thalmor Embassy in Solitude.
- Completion of the quest rewards the player with a good amount of gold.
- New dialogue options with Vex and other members of the Thieves Guild are also unlocked.
- Completing the quest opens up new quests and opportunities in the Thieves Guild questline.
- Reputation and impact on the Thalmor and others will also be affected depending on the players choices.
- The Diplomatic Immunity quest is a major quest in the game and can take several hours to complete depending on the players approach.
- The quest can be challenging due to the need to sneak into the Thalmor Embassy and avoid detection.
- The player must steal the Eagle of the Falmer artifact without being caught which requires careful planning and execution and must also be careful when returning the artifact to Vex in Riften to avoid being detected.
You can start the Diplomatic Immunity quest by visiting Vex. He happens to be a member of the Thieves Guild. The quest involves infiltrating the Thalmor Embassy in Solitude in order to steal a valuable artifact. The artifact that you need to steal is the Eagle of the Falmer.
The game world believes that the artifact is in possession of the Thalmor, which happens to be a powerful and secretive organization. In order to get your hands on the artifact, you will need to sneak into the embassy, avoid detection, and steal the artifact without being caught.
However, as mentioned earlier, you will have to visit Riften. There you will meet Vex at the Thieves Guild not only to begin the quest but also to get maximum insights. Once you are done with that, travel towards Solitude so you can infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy.
Once you infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy, you should do your best to avoid any detection so you can explore the embassy with ease. You will find the Eagle of the Falmer in Elwen’s Solar, so steal it carefully. Once it is in your hands, be careful while returning to Riften. We prefer you don’t use any attack without reason and come back quietly so things go easy. After returning to Riften, return the Eagle of the Falmer to Vex in order to complete the quest.
19. The CompanionsQuest Location:
- The Companions questline takes place in Whiterun and the surrounding area.
- The title of Harbinger of the Companions, a prestigious position within the group, is the first prize for completing the questline.
- By consuming Aela the Huntress’s blood, the player can also gain access to a unique and potent form that they can employ to fight foes and improve their powers.
- After the Companions questline is finished, the potent Wuuthrad battleaxe, a legendary weapon that does more damage against elves, becomes available.
- It can take approximately 6-8 hours to complete the main storyline of the Companions questline in Skyrim.
- Due to the possibility of running across powerful foes along the road, some objectives within the questline may require the player to go to other locations in the game world.
- The questline’s last quest might be exceptionally challenging and completing it successfully can need for a character with the right equipment.
As the name suggests, you will not be the only one completing the quest; you will have some companions with you. In Skyrim, the Companions are a group of warriors based in Whiterun, and the objective is to become their leader.
To begin the questline, you will need to visit Jorrvaskr, which is the headquarters of the Companions in Whiterun. There, you will meet with Kodlak Whitemane, the leader of the Companions. He will be the one to give you your first task.
Throughout the quest, you will be required to complete various tasks for the Companions. These tasks include battling bandits, fighting monsters, and completing other missions. As you complete these tasks, you will be able to learn new skills and abilities from the other members of the Companions.
In order to progress through the quest, you will need to prove your worth to the Companions. You can do that by completing tasks and earning their trust. Moreover, you will also uncover the secrets and conspiracies within the Companions, which will lead to a final confrontation. Once you have proven yourself and completed the quest line, you will finally become the leader of the Companions.
18. The College of WinterholdQuest Location:
- The College of Winterhold questline takes place in and around the city of Winterhold.
- Completion of the questline rewards the player with the title of Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold.
- The player also gains access to powerful spells and enchantments.
- New dialogue options with members of the College of Winterhold are also unlocked.
- In total, there are eight quests which include Containment, Revealing The Unseen and The Eye of Magnus and five side quests which include J’zargo’s Experiment, Rejoining the College and Arniel’s Endeavor.
- Depending on your skills and choice it can take 6 to 8 hours to complete.
- The College of Winterhold questline in Skyrim can be challenging due to the complex magic system and the need to navigate through a variety of dangerous environments, including ruins and caves.
- Additionally, the College of Winterhold questline requires a significant investment of time and effort, as it involves completing a long series of quests, some of which are quite difficult in order to fully explore the magic school and its secrets.
Just like in some movies, you will need to disguise yourself in such a way that you can fit in a college. However, the college is a powerful organization of wizards, and your job is to become a master wizard. The quest begins when you discover the College of Winterhold, which is located in the city of Winterhold.
Before you think of starting the questline, we recommend you should be good, if not excellent, in magic. The reason for that is as soon as you enter the gate, you will be required to cast a random spell to display that you are knowledgeable. If you cannot do that, then you can perhaps buy some spells if you have enough gold.
The overall goal is to prove your worth to the college, and for that, you will need to complete minor quests given by different mages. They can range widely from finding a book to cleaning magical focal points. Moreover, through these quests, you will learn new spells and abilities while impressing others.
Apart from that, you will uncover the secrets and conspiracies within the college. Based on that, you will have to make some important decisions. In the end, you will need to prove yourself to be a master wizard by completing a final test.
17. Black Book QuestsQuest Locations:
- The Black Books are scattered throughout Skyrim’s Solstheim region which is added by the Dragonborn DLC.
- Each Black Book grants the player access to a unique “Black Book power” that can be used once per day.
- The powers vary in usefulness and can range from summoning creatures to slowing time to teleporting.
- In total, there will be seven quests, such as The Hidden Twilight, The Sallow Regent, and Filament and Filgree and two main quests of Skyrim which are The Gardener of Men and At the Summit of Apocrypha.
- The Black Book quests range in complexity, although they are typically seen of as being simpler than some of the other quests in the game.
- The enemies encountered in the Black Book quests tend to be weaker than those in the game’s main quests.
- The Black Book quests are tied to the Daedric Prince Hermaeus Mora and his realm of Apocrypha.
- The quests often involve elements of magic and otherworldly realms.
- The Black Books are visually distinct from other items in the game and have a unique appearance.
The Black Book Quests are a part of the Dragonborn sidequest. However, in order to play it, you will need to have the Dragonborn DLC. Once you are traveling in Solstheim, you will find Black Books in different locations from time to time. Some of these books will be required for the Main Dragonborn Questline, while some will be lying in dungeons.
As you read one of these books, you will be teleported to the Daedric Realm of Apocrypha. There, you will find the reign of the Daedric Prince Hermaeus Mora. Since Mora is not so much of a fighter, he will make an offer. The offer will be to navigate his perilous realm, for which he will reward you with knowledge.
Just like that, each book will have a different area, and different will be the reward as well. In total, there will be seven quests, such as The Hidden Twilight, The Sallow Regent, and Filament and Filgree. Among them will be two main quests of Skyrim, which are The Gardener of Men and At the Summit of Apocrypha.
16. Innocence LostQuest Location:
- The Innocence Lost quest is located in Windhelm city which is in the northeastern corner of Skyrim.
- The main reward for completing the Innocence Lost quest is access to the Dark Brotherhood questline.
- You will receive Aretino Family Heirloom as a reward.
- The quest also grants the player some gold and a leveled enchanted weapon as a reward for completing a side task.
- The Innocence Lost quest is comparatively short and can be completed in an hour.
- The Innocence Lost quest is easy and is designed to be accessible to players of all skill levels.
- The mission includes a few combat encounters, although they are not extremely challenging.
- The Innocence Lost quest involves investigating a murder that took place in Windhelm and uncovering a conspiracy involving the Dark Brotherhood.
- The quest has multiple branching paths and choices that can affect the player’s experience in the Dark Brotherhood questline.
- The quest is considered one of the most memorable and well-written quests in the game with a number of memorable characters and moments.
If you are not aware of the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim yet then perhaps the Innocence Lost quest will be the means of introducing it. In order to begin the quest, you will need to interact with Aventus Aretino. The quest mainly begins after the innkeeper of Sleeping Giant Inn at Riverwood hears a rumor about a child performing a black sacrament in Windhelm.
Therefore, you will be sent to talk with Aventus Aretino to find out the truth. When you travel to Windhelm and talk, you find out that it is not more than just childish shenanigans. However, Aventus will make a mistake in identifying you. He will consider that you are a part of the Dark Brotherhood.
Therefore, he will give you the task of killing Grelod The “Kind”. Once you kill him, go back to Aventus to inform him. That will conclude the quest and you will receive Aretino Family Heirloom as a reward for your efforts.
15. The Way of the VoiceQuest Location:
- The Way of the Voice quest begins in High Hrothgar, a monastery located on the peak of the Throat of the World mountain in Skyrim.
- The main reward for completing The Way of the Voice quest is the ability to use Unrelenting Force, one of the game’s most iconic shouts.
- The quest also grants the player access to the Greybeards, a group of powerful and wise monks who can offer guidance and training in the use of shouts.
- The Way of the Voice quest can be completed in 2 to 3 hours and serves as an introduction to the game’s shout mechanic and the Greybeards.
- Difficulty level of The Way of the Voice quest is easy.
- The Way of the Voice quest involves learning to use the Dragonborn’s shout abilities and discovering the secrets of the Thu’um.
- The quest features several memorable moments, such as the iconic scene where the player is asked to demonstrate their shout in front of the Greybeards.
- The quest is considered an essential part of the game’s main storyline and is required to progress to later parts of the game.
With regards to the main quests of Skyrim, the fifth quest you will face is The Way of the Voice. You are summoned by the Greybeards who live in a monastery on top of High Hrothgar mountain. However, that only happens after you demonstrate your exceptional abilities.
As you meet the Greybeards, you will have to demonstrate your Unrelenting Force Shout ability in order to impress them. After that, you will have to speak with Arngeir who is one of the Greybeards. As you demonstrate the Shout again in front of Arnegir, he will tell you that the Shout contains of three words. The one that you used is called Force which is the first word.
For the second word, you will have to meet Einarth, who will then teach you Ro. Once the training completes, you will have to demonstrate it by hitting the targets three times. The next word you will learn is Wuuld, which is the first word of the Whirlwind Sprint. Not only will it allow you to dash forward, but it will increase your speed incredibly as well. Lastly, you will need it to blast open the gate in order to complete this one of the best quests in Skyrim.
14. The Forsworn ConspiracyQuest Location:
- The Forsworn Conspiracy quest is located in Markarth, a city in the western region.
- The main reward for completing The Forsworn Conspiracy quest is access to the Markarth storyline which includes several other quests.
- The quest also grants the player some gold and a leveled enchanted weapon as a reward for completing a side task.
- The Forsworn Conspiracy quest can take up to 5 hours.
- The difficulty level of The Forsworn Conspiracy quest can vary depending on a player’s level, skill set and playstyle. However it is considered to be a moderately difficult quest.
- The Forsworn Conspiracy quest involves investigating a conspiracy involving the Forsworn, a group of rebels who are fighting against the government of Markarth.
- The quest features several memorable characters including the powerful and enigmatic Madanach.
- The quest is considered one of the more complex and intriguing quests in the game with multiple paths and choices that can affect the player’s experience.
The quest begins in the city of Markarth after talking to a man named Eltrys. It happens just after you witness a murder upon entering the gates of the city. As you approach the gates of Markarth, the guards will warn you not to get involved if you come across any suspicious activity.
Upon entering the city, you will witness an assassination attempt by a man named Weylin on a woman named Margret. Here you will have two options. The first option for you is to ignore the guards’ warning and intervene by killing Weylin before he reaches Margret.
It will result in Margret thanking you by giving you a necklace she had bought and intended to give to someone back in Cyrodiil. Moreover, it will also improve one later part of the quest. The second option you have is to choose to heed the guards’ warning and not intervene, resulting in Margret’s assassination and Weylin’s death.
13. Hard AnswersQuest Location:
- The quest is given by Karliah in the Ragged Flagon in Riften.
- It involves visiting several locations across Skyrim including the Twilight Sepulcher, the Snow Veil Sanctum and the Riftweald Manor in Riften.
- Completion of the quest advances the Thieves Guild storyline.
- You will receive a leveled amount of gold as a reward.
- You will also receive the unique Nightingale Blade or Bow depending on your choice during the quest.
- The length of the quest depends on how quickly you can navigate the different locations and solve the puzzles within them.
- On average, it can take around an hour to complete.
- The “Hard Answers” quest in Skyrim can be considered moderately difficult, particularly for players who are not familiar with the layout of the city of Markarth
- It involves several puzzles that require careful observation and deduction.
- Combat is also a factor in some parts of the quest, so having strong weapons and armor is recommended.
- The quest involves uncovering a conspiracy involving Mercer Frey, the former leader of the Thieves Guild and his involvement in stealing from the guild’s vault.
- The player must work with Karliah to uncover the truth and stop Mercer from further damaging the guild’s reputation.
Once you find Enthir, speak to him and show him Margret’s journal. Then he will tell you that it is written in Falmer language, and he will refer you to Calcelmo located in Markarth inside the Understone Keep. Once you meet Calcelmo, he will not allow you to see his work unless you can convince him through persuasion, bribery, or intimidation.
After gaining his approval, he will give you the key to the Dwemer Museum. In case of persuasion, intimidation, or bribery do not work, you can also obtain the key by completing Calcelmo’s spider side quest, stealing it from a nearby table, or completing the Book of Love quest.
Once you have the key, follow the marker to find the entrance of the Museum. You can ignore the guards if they stop you and open the gate anyway. Alternatively, you can break into the museum without talking to Calcelmo. However, it will require you to sneak or kill the guards.
Upon entering the museum, go straight ahead and unlock the door leading to Calcelmo’s laboratory. Once you are inside, check the table on the left to find a Spider Control Rod. Using the rod, you can direct a mechanical spider to your target.
The area is full of traps that you can activate by turning red valves. In that way, you can sneak past heavily armed guards and eliminate them. Moreover, you have to navigate through various rooms, eliminating the guards along the way, until you reach the main laboratory.
In the same area, you will also find Aicantar, who happens to be Calcelmo’s nephew. You can choose to rush in and kill both him and the guard or you can activate the trap, the guard will die but Aicantar will escape and bring back reinforcements later.
Regardless of what approach you choose, you can also grab the Dwemer Puzzle Cube. You will find the Cube towards the left of the Enchanter. Keep the Cube so you can give it to Delvin later. Once you do that, exit the laboratory by opening the marked door that leads to the balcony, then enter Calcamo’s Tower.
Once you are inside, pick up a piece of charcoal and a roll of paper, then examine the stone slab to create a duplicate of the Falmer translating guide. Now, in case you allowed Aicantar to escape earlier, he will return with heavy reinforcements. You have the option of either sneaking past them or eliminating them all.
12. A Night to RememberQuest Location:
- The quest begins in any tavern or inn in Skyrim where the player will encounter a drunken man named Sam Guevenne.
- The quest takes the player across various locations including Markarth, Rorikstead, and Whiterun.
- Completing the quest rewards the player with the Sanguine Rose, a powerful staff that summons a Dremora to fight for the player.
- The quest also gives the player an amusing story to tell and some humorous dialogue options.
- The length of the quest depends on how quickly the player can navigate the different locations and complete the objectives.
- On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete.
- The “A Night to Remember” quest is relatively easy compared to many other quests in Skyrim.
- It involves completing a series of tasks for the Daedric Prince Sanguine but these tasks are generally straightforward and involve little combat.
- The quest is known for its humorous and surreal elements including a drinking contest, a talking goat and a giant chicken.
- The player can choose to either help or betray Sam Guevenne which can affect the outcome of the quest.
If you are looking for fun in a quest, then perhaps you should complete A Night to Remember quest. However, make sure that you are level 14 or above to begin the quest. It is a miscellaneous quest that you can start by talking to an NPC named Sam Guevenne. You will find him in any tavern across any hold.
Sam will challenge you to a drinking contest, and if you accept and lose, you will wake up the next morning with no memory of the previous night’s events and with a task to complete. The objective of the quest is to retrace your steps and figure out what happened the previous night by talking to various NPCs and completing tasks.
Moreover, the quest will lead you on a wild and often a comical journey as you try to recover your memories and fulfill the tasks set out for you. The final task will lead you to The Temple of Dibella, where you will have to face the consequences of your actions from the previous night. You will either have to make amends or face punishment.
In the end, Sam reveals himself to be the Daedric Prince of Debauchery, Sanguine. Then he gives you his staff, the Sanguine Rose, as a reward for a fun night. Once you accept the reward, he teleports you out of the grove, ending the quest.
11. Battle for WhiterunQuest Location:
- The Battle for Whiterun quest takes place in and around the city of Whiterun which is located in the central region of Skyrim.
- The quest’s goal is to assist one of the factions in Skyrim’s ongoing civil war, the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion in seizing control of Whiterun.
- To take the city under their control and kill the head of the rival group, the player must battle their way past hostile soldiers.
- If the player sides with the Imperial Legion and successfully captures Whiterun then they will be named the Thane of Whiterun and will receive the following rewards:
- A house in Whiterun called “Breezehome” that can be purchased from the Steward of Whiterun for 5,000 gold.
- A housecarl named Lydia who will become the player’s follower and protect their home.
- The ability to request the Steward of Whiterun to purchase land and build a homestead in Falkreath or Morthal.
- If the player sides with the Stormcloaks and successfully captures Whiterun, they will be named the Stormblade and will receive the following rewards:
- A unique weapon called the Stormblade which is a leveled enchanted sword that deals extra damage to Imperials.
- The ability to ask guards to overlook minor crimes.
- The title of Stormblade and the respect of the Stormcloak soldiers.
- The quest can be completed relatively quickly by rushing through the city and defeating the opposing faction’s leader or it can be a longer and more involved process if the player chooses to explore the city and complete additional objectives.
- The difficulty of the Battle for Whiterun quest also varies depending on the player’s level, equipment and chosen difficulty setting.
- The quest can be challenging due to the large number of enemies and the need to defend or attack various objectives throughout the city.
- The quest features several major battles throughout the city including an assault on the city walls and a final showdown in the city center.
- The player’s actions during the quest can affect their standing with various factions in Skyrim including the Jarls of various cities, the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood.
- The quest is available in both the vanilla version of Skyrim and the Special Edition with updated graphics and gameplay improvements.
No matter which faction you are a part of, the Battle for Whiterun quest will be available to you. However, the quest will be different for you, and it will depend on whether you are on the Stormcloacks’ side or on the Imperial side.
If you chose the path of Stormcloacks, you would find yourself speaking with Ulfric Stormcloak about the previous quest. Then you will be given orders from Galmar Stone-Fist to join the Stormcloak army in an attack on Whiterun. Furthermore, after meeting with fellow soldiers at a camp outside the city, you will lead the assault on the gate.
Once you reach the drawbridge, you will have to climb to a balcony. There you will see a switch; activate it in order to lower the bridge. After you enter the city with the soldiers, you will have to make your way to Dragonsreach. There you will engage in a challenging battle with Whiterun’s elite fighters. Once the battle is won, you will speak with the city’s leader, Balgruuf in order to accept his surrender.
10. The House of HorrorsQuest Location:
- The House of Horrors quest can be initiated by speaking to a Vigilant of Stendarr named Tyranus who can be found in Markarth near the Abandoned House.
- A unique artifact called the Mace of Molag Bal which is a powerful mace that absorbs the stamina and magicka of its victims and has a chance to paralyze them.
- The House of Horrors quest is a relatively short quest and can be completed within 30 minutes to an hour.
- The House of Horrors quest is easy and can be completed by players of any level. However, there are some enemies that can pose a challenge to low-level players, such as the conjured creatures summoned by the Daedric Prince Molag Bal.
- In order to complete the House of Horrors task, you must investigate a Markarth abandoned mansion that locals claim to be haunted.
- When the player first enters the home a Vigilant of Stendarr, Tyranus is there searching for any indications of Daedric activity.
- To learn the truth about the haunted home and the Daedric Prince Molag Bal’s role in it, the player will then be led through a series of riddles and conflicts.
If you like getting yourself into mysterious and a bit thrilling situations, then perhaps you should complete the House of Horrors quest. The quest is related to Molag Bal, and you can begin the quest in Markath. As the quest begins, you will find yourself in front of a haunting abandoned house. You will also find Vigilant Tyranus there, who will ask you for some details regarding the house.
Once you talk to him and offer your help, the quest will begin, and you both will get locked in the house. There, you and Tyranus will hear a strange voice telling you both to kill each other. Although the wise option would be to ignore the voice, Tyranus does the opposite. He begins panicking and decides to kill you. When that happens, you have no other option but to kill him instead.
After killing Tyranus, the voice then guides you to go further into the house so you can get your reward. As you reach the basement, you will find a rusty mace. Activating it will lock you up in the place, and there you will find out who is behind the voice. The voice happens to be of Molag Bal. Moreover, the mace that you activate happens to be his weapon that a priest of Boethiah desecrates earlier.
9. Hail Sithis!Quest Location:
- The Hail Sithis! quest can be initiated by speaking to Nazir in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary after completing the questline’s previous quest Breaching Security.
- A new location to use as a base for the Dark Brotherhood.
- The ability to repeat the quest for additional gold rewards.
- The Hail Sithis! quest can be completed in an hour.
- The Hail Sithis! quest is not particularly difficult. However, there are some enemies that can pose a challenge to low-level players such as the Draugr and Dremora that appear in the dungeon.
- The Hail Sithis! quest involves traveling to a new location called the Night Mother’s Crypt which serves as a base for the Dark Brotherhood.
- The player will be tasked with exploring the crypt and completing several objectives, including retrieving the Blade of Woe and killing the undead Draugr that infest the crypt..
You will receive the quest from the Night Mother, whom you will find in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. As the quest begins, you will need to talk to Nazir, who is a member of the Dark Brotherhood and a Redguard assassin. Then you will have to visit Amaund Motierre in order to find out the location of Emperor Titus Mede II.
Kill Commander Maro
Your next objective will be to board The Katariah ship so you can reach the Blue Palace. Once you get on the ship, there will be an optional challenge. The optional challenge will be to kill Commander Maro. In case you don’t have an outstanding bounty in Solitude, you should definitely go for it.
When you see Commander Maro, let him hit you first. If you let him hit you first, his own men will end up turning up against him. With that, you will be able to defeat him easily and continue your Hail Sithis quest in no time.
Kill the Emperor
Now your objective will be to kill the Emperor. Since the Emperor knows that he is not so hard to defeat, he gives you another offer. The offer is to kill the person who gave you the Hail Sithis quest in the first place. After that, you will need to go back to Motierre. This time, your intention will be to know about your final payment and its location.
8. Blood on the IceQuest Location:
- The Blood on the Ice quest can be initiated by entering the city of Windhelm and heading to the graveyard at night.
- The quest will begin automatically if the player has not already completed the Blood on the Ice quest in the city.
- The ability to purchase the house Hjerim in Windhelm.
- The Windy Edge unique enchantment for weapons.
- The Blood on the Ice quest is a relatively long quest and can take 3 to 4 hours to complete.
- The Blood on the Ice quest can be challenging due to the multiple twists and turns in the storyline.
- Additionally, there are some difficult enemies that can pose a challenge to low-level players such as the necromancers and draugr.
- Investigating a series of killings which have occurred in Windhelm is the focus of the Blood on the Ice quest.
- In order to identify the murderer, the player will be entrusted with investigating crime sites, questioning witnesses and assembling evidence.
The storyline will take some unexpected turns along the road including the discovery that the killer is a skilled necromancer. In the end, the player will face the necromancer and put a stop to their fear.
The Blood on the Ice is one of the best side quests in Skyrim. Throughout the quest, you will find yourself within the boundaries of the city of Windhelm. In order to unlock the quest, you will have to visit Windhelm city a certain number of times. You can do that in two ways, the first one is to simply enter and exit the main gate of the city, and the second is to use the fast travel option.
Once you unlock it, it begins after you visit the graveyard district that is near the Temple of Arkay. The first thing that you will need to do is talk to Wuunferth, the Unliving. You will find him at the Windhelm Palace. He will tell you all about the recent murders that have happened recently in the city.
Investigate The Murders
Now, it will be time for you to take a look at what is happening at the back end. So, you will need to visit the graveyard in order to investigate the crime scene. You will need to find out any evidence possible so you can get some clues about the killer. While searching for evidence, you will then come across a dagger that will be covered in blood.
Once you get the dagger, go back to Wuunferth. Upon seeing the dagger, he will tell you to visit Calixto Corrium. He happens to be the owner of the Windhelm Museum of Natural History, and the reason for visiting him is to get insights into the dagger.
When Calixto gets to see the dagger, he gives you the key to the museum so you can investigate the dagger on your own. As you keep on investigating for the dagger and more evidence, you come across a note written by Calixto himself.
After that, you will need to go back to Wuunferth once again in order to show him the note. Upon looking at the note, he will reveal that the killer behind the murders is Calixto. Now your job will be to bring Calixto to Justice.
Confront The Murderer
When you confront him back in the museum, you will have two options. The first one will be to kill him, while the second option will be to take him to Wuunferth. If you pick the second option, Wuunferth will tell you what happened and give you a reward alongside it.
7. Forgotten NamesQuest Location:
- In Forgotten Names quest, beneath the College of Winterhold, players will find The Midden Dark and a circular room with a gauntlet-like statue at its center, as well as a table providing more information on the room’s history.
- Reward for completing the quest is a Daedra Heart or Velehk Sain’s Treasure Map, 2 Scimitars, Hammerfell Garb1 and Redguard Boots.
- The Forgotten Names quest is a short quest that can be completed in 30 minutes.
- The Forgotten Names quest is not difficult as it involves exploring a dungeon and defeating several draugr enemies.
- The Forgotten Names quest involves exploring the ruins of Folgunthur and uncovering the mystery behind the disappearance of the Three Heroes who once quested to slay a powerful dragon priest.
- The player will navigate through a series of puzzles and traps, defeat several draugr enemies and ultimately confront the dragon priest Rahgot.
Beneath the College of Winterhld, you will find The Midden Dark. There you will enter a room with a circular shape full of skeletons and blood. Go toward the center of the room, and you will see a small statue that looks like a gauntlet. To get more information on what happened in the room, see the table next to you.
You will see an incident report along with a key that describes a summoning ritual that failed earlier in the room, along with four rings. The key will lead you to the four rings that are locked inside a chest in the Arcanaeum. And so your job will be to get the four ornamental rings. The four rings are Katarina’s Ring, Treoy’s Ring, Balwen’s Ring, and Pithi’s Ring.
You can either use the key given or pick the lock to get the rings. Once you get your hands on the rings, return to the Midden Dark and use them on the gauntlet. It is important to note that these rings are owned, and taking them without permission would be considered stealing.
Gauntlet And The Pirate
However, there is a certain sequence in which you will have to place rings on the gauntlet. You will need to place:
- Pithken’s Ring on the Little Finger
- Balwen’s Ring on the Ring Finger
- Treoy’s Ring on the Middle Finger
- Katarina’s Ring on the Index Finger
Once you place all the rings on the respective finger, the gauntlet will curl into a fist and Velehk Sain, a Dremora pirate will be summoned. He will offer a deal to you, where in exchange for his release, he will give you a treasure from his pirating days.
The deal will have two options: Release and Kill. The first option will be to release Velehk Sain. If you do that, he will disappear while giving you a treasure map that leads to a hidden stash of treasure located west-northwest of Winterhold, and north of Saarthal on an island with a statue of Talos. The treasure will only reveal itself if Velehk is released.
The second option that you can choose is to kill Velehk Sain. You can do that in order to loot his corpse for two scimitars, a Daedra heart, Hammerfell garb, and Redguard boots.
6. Forbidden LegendQuest Location:
- The Forbidden Legend quest can be initiated by reading the book Lost Legends which can be found in various locations throughout Skyrim including bookstores and libraries.
- Unique “Gauldur Blackblade” weapon.
- Gauldur Amulet artifact which provides a boost to health, magicka and stamina.
- Access to the Word Wall containing the Dragonrend shout.
- The Forbidden Legend quest is a long quest that can take 2 to 3 hours to complete depending on the player’s playstyle.
- The Forbidden Legend quest is a moderately difficult quest as it involves navigating through several dungeons, solving puzzles and defeating powerful enemies including draugr, mages and a dragon priest.
- The player will need to navigate through several puzzles and traps, fight off a group of mages and eventually confront a powerful draugr enemy known as Jyrik Gauldurson. After defeating Jyrik, the player will need to track down the remaining pieces of the Gauldur Amulet and defeat the other Gauldur brothers.
- Once all three brothers have been defeated, the player will be rewarded with the unique Gauldur Blackblade weapon.
To begin the Forbidden Legend quest, you will first need to visit Riverwood. There you will come across a book with the name Forbidden Legend, and you can either read the book or talk to the owner of the Sleeping Giant Inn to begin the quest.
The objective of the quest is to find the Gauldur Amulet. For that, you will need to first travel to Folgunthur, which is just southeast of Solitude. There you will find yourself in a ruin full of enemies and puzzles. Fight the enemies and solve the puzzles so you can reach the tomb of Archmage Gauldur.
Find The Amulets
Once you are able to enter the tomb, you will find the Gauldur Amulet there. Once it is with you, go back to the owner of the Inn so he can give you the next mission of the quest. It turns out that there is more than just an Amulet in Gauldur’s collection. Now you will need to find Gauldur Blackbow and Gauldur Blackblade.
For the Gauldur Blackblade, you will need to go to Saarthal. On the other hand, for the Gauldur Blackbow, you will need to go to the ruins of Geirmund’s Hall. The journey to these artifacts will be the same as it was for the Gauldur Amulet.
Once you get all the amulets, you will then need to travel to the tomb of Archmage Gauldur. There, you will find three plates, and on each plate, you will have to place these amulets. Once all the amulets are placed correctly, three bosses will summon in front of you. However, each boss will fight one at a time against you.
Fight The Bosses
The first boss will attack you by summoning draugrs. When you defeat the first one, the second boss will play from behind. He will shoot arrows from there while creating clones of himself that attack you. Lastly, the third and final boss will summon an ice creature by using magic.
Defeating them all will reward you with an amulet that gives 30 points of health, magicka, and stamina. Moreover, you will find a locked chest at the bottom of the pool. Apart from that, the quest is quite challenging so we recommend you reach an adequate level before fighting against these enemies.
5. Waking NightmareQuest Location:
- The Walking Nightmare quest can be initiated by speaking to Erandur in the Windpeak Inn in Dawnstar.
- The Skull of Corruption, a unique staff that deals significant damage to enemies and has the ability to create a clone of the target and gold.
- The Walking Nightmare quest is a moderately long quest that can take around 1-2 hours to complete.
- The Walking Nightmare quest is a difficult quest that involves navigating through a large, maze-like dungeon filled with enemies, traps and puzzles. The player will also need to fight a powerful enemy at the end of the quest.
- The Walking Nightmare quest involves helping Erandur, a former member of the Daedric Prince Vaermina’s cult, to stop a nightmare plague that is affecting the residents of Dawnstar.
- Once the source of plague is found, the player will need to defeat a powerful enemy known as the Nightmare while also dealing with waves of enemies that will appear throughout the fight.
In order to begin the Walking Nightmare quest, you will first need to go to Dawnstar. There you will find a priest at Windpeak Inn with the name Erandur. He will lead you to the Nightcaller Temple, but on your journey, and you will come across deadly spiders, so make sure you fight them off.
Once you reach the temple, as you start walking in, the orcs and mages will start waking up. As they wake up, they will come toward you with the intention of attacking. After getting rid of them, you will come across a mysterious book. However, Erandur is able to understand the book and concludes that in order to live through another person’s memory, you will have to find a potion.
Once you drink the potion, you will walk down the hallway. However, it will only be a dream and so you will wake up. As you wake up, you will find yourself on the other side of the barrier which you could not pass before. After that, keep on progressing toward the skull. On your way, you will see a couple of Erandur’s friends.
However, you will have to kill them before Erandur starts destroying the skull through a ritual. As he is performing the ritual, you will have two options. The first option is to let the skull be destroyed by letting him complete the ritual. If you do that, he will be available in the game as your companion. However, remember that letting the skull be destroyed will not count for 15 Deadric Artifacts for the Oblivion Walker trophy.
In case you want the Oblivion Walker Trophy, then perhaps you will have to go for option 2. The second option is to kill him and take the skull simply. And this will end one of the best quests in Skyrim.
4. Kyne’s Sacred TrialsQuest Location:
- The Kyne’s Sacred Trials quest can be initiated by speaking to Froki Whetted-Blade at his cabin in the wilderness south of Ivarstead.
- The ability to call upon Kyne’s Sacred Trials at specific locations to test your hunting skills.
- Froki’s Bow, a unique bow that deals extra damage to animals and creatures.
- The title of “Huntsman” or “Huntress.”
- The Kyne’s Sacred Trials quest is a short quest that can take around 45 minutes to complete.
- The Kyne’s Sacred Trials quest is a moderately difficult quest that involves hunting and defeating several animals and creatures including a legendary beast at the end of the quest.
- The Kyne’s Sacred Trials quest involves helping Froki Whetted-Blade to perform several sacred trials that test your hunting skills and prove your worthiness to Kyne, the goddess of the hunt.
- The player will need to hunt and defeat several animals and creatures including a cave bear, a saber cat, a wolf pack and a legendary beast known as the Guardian of the Vale.
The Kyne’s Sacred Trials quest is one of the best five quests in Skyrim. It takes place in Froki’s Shack, where you have to talk with Froki Whetted-Blade. First, he will tell you to kill the guardian Mud crab, Wolf, and Skeever who happens to be the big ghost version of the animals. Not only are they spread out on the map, but you will also be able to spot them on the map. All you have to do is kill them after you locate them on the map.
Once you are done with killing these three guardian animals, you will have to return to Froki and inform him. As he hears that, he will assign you another task. The new task will be to kill the guardian Mammoth, Sabre, and Bear. Keep in mind that these guardian animals will be a lot tougher than the ones you killed earlier.
Just like the last time, report back to Froki, telling him you have killed these three guardian animals as well. After that, he will tell you to kill the Guardian Troll. You can find the Troll in Graywinter Watch. Not only is this troll the toughest of all, but you will also find it accompanied by a couple more normal trolls.
3. The Mind Of MadnessQuest Location:
- The Mind of Madness quest is initiated by speaking to Dervenin, a strange man wandering around the streets of Solitude.
- Wabbajack, a unique staff that has unpredictable effects on targets.
- The title of “Champion of Sheogorath.”
- A leveled amount of gold.
- The Mind of Madness quest is a moderately long quest that can take around 1 to 2 hours to complete.
- The Mind of Madness quest is a difficult quest that involves solving puzzles, navigating a dangerous and surreal world and defeating several enemies.
- The Mind of Madness quest involves helping the Daedric Prince Sheogorath by entering the mind of Pelagius Septim III, the mad emperor of Tamriel and curing him of his insanity.
- The player must navigate a strange and surreal world filled with puzzles, illusions and bizarre characters, all while being pursued by the embodiments of Pelagius’ fears and anxieties.
Not only does the name of the quest sounds cool, but it is also one of the best three quests in Skyrim. The quest starts in the city of Solitude. There, a servant will come seeking your help to save his master. The master happens to be stuck in one of the abandoned corridors of the Blue Palace.
If you completed the Wolfskull cave quest perfectly, you might have the key that Falk gives. If you don’t have it then you can ask any maid for the key by telling her that Falk told you to clean up the corridor. Once you get your hands on the key, make your way to the second floor, and then you will find yourself in the mind of Pelagius.
Now, in order to get the Wabbajack, you will need to speak with Sheogorath. Moreover, before you leave, you will need to follow three tasks.
The first one is Paranoia which will be on your left. As you follow the path, you will find two creatures fighting below you. Use the Wabbajack that you have by firing it at the figures sitting next to a man. Once you do that, the figures will turn into wolves and attack the man.
Moreover, the second task is Anger, on your right. There, you will see a figure with confidence in it, along with an attacker. Then, use the Wabbajack by shooting it at the figure twice. Doing that will make the figure big and the attacker small, allowing you to win the challenge.
The third and last task is Night Terrors, which will be down the middle path. You will find Pelagius sleeping in there on a bed. However, you will need to wake him up. For that, you will need to shoot a Wabbajack at him. Do not worry because when you shoot, a wolf will appear between you and him. Shoot the wolf, and you will see it turn into a sheep.
When that happens, shoot another Wabbajack at Pelagius, which will spawn another creature. Keep on repeating the process but make sure you don’t shoot Sultry Maiden or young Pelagius. After seeing a couple of scenes, you will get back to the Blue Palace with the Wabbajack, and the quest will end.
2. The Cursed TribeQuest Location:
- The Cursed Tribe quest is initiated by speaking to the orc named Atub at the orc stronghold of Largashbur which is located in the Rift region of Skyrim.
- The Volendrung, a unique warhammer that has the ability to drain the stamina of enemies and absorb their health.
- Access to Largashbur which can be used as a player home.
- The Cursed Tribe quest is a long quest that can take around 1-2 hours to complete.
- The Cursed Tribe quest is a moderately difficult quest that involves fighting several strong enemies including a giant, a troll and a powerful orc warlord.
- The “Cursed Tribe” quest involves helping the orc tribe of Largashbur lift a curse that has been placed on them.
- The player must summon the Daedric Prince Malacath to help lift the curse and retrieve the Volendrung artifact from a dwarven ruin.
- The player must then help the orcs defeat their enemies and confront Chief Yamarz who has betrayed the tribe.
Before you think of the Cursed Tribe quest, you should know that it is a part of the Daedric Quests and requires at least level nine to begin with. First, you will need to go toward the south of Riften to Largashbur. There you will meet Atub, who will then tell you about the giants attacking their outpost continuously. Moreover, their leader has also fallen sick due to which you need to bring a Troll Fat and Daedra Heart.
In order to fight with the giant, you will be traveling with the Orc leader toward North East of Riften. Moreover, you will offer him a couple of choices, the first one will be to tell him to get the mace from the giant all by himself. However, the second one is to let him bribe you.
Since the Orc leader is not fit enough to take the mace from the giant all by himself, you will still need t fight with the giant even if you pick option one. However, if you pick option two and come back with the mace, the leader will turn on you anyway.
As you return, you should talk to Malacath and Atub, who will instruct you to place the mace on that altar. Once the conversation completes, you will see the mace turn into a Volendrung. Moreover, as it transforms, you can then take it off the altar.
1. To Kill An EmpireQuest Location:
- The “To Kill an Empire” quest is part of the Dark Brotherhood questline in Skyrim and takes place primarily in the city of Solitude in the province of Haafingar.
- Upon completing the quest, you will receive a significant amount of gold and also receive a unique item called the Emperor’s Robes which has a high value and can be used or sold.
- On average, the quest can take around 30 minutes to an hour to complete.
- The difficulty of the quest can also vary depending on your level and equipment.
- The quest involves infiltrating a heavily guarded area, so it can be challenging for lower level characters or those without good stealth abilities.
- There are also several optional objectives within the quest that can make it more difficult or complex.
- The objective of the quest is to assassinate the Emperor of Tamriel, Titus Mede II.
- The quest involves several stages including gathering information about the Emperor’s whereabouts, infiltrating his ship and ultimately carrying out the assassination.
- The quest has significant consequences for the Dark Brotherhood and the wider political landscape of Skyrim.
No doubt, the To Kill an Empire quest is number one on the best quests list of Skyrim. In order to play the quest, you will first need to complete the Recipe for Disaster quest. Once you are done with that, you will get the quest in Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary from Astrid.
He will map out the plan for you, and the objective will be to pose as The Gourmet so you can infiltrate the Emperor’s Tower in Solitude. The plan continues, and he wants you to put poison in Emperor’s meal and then simply escape the tower.
The first thing you will need to do is report to Commander Maro in Solitude and use your Writ of Passage to gain access to the Emperor’s Tower. Once you are there, find Chef Gianna and put on a chef’s hat to go further. She will ask you to help her make The Gourmet’s signature dish, Potage le Magnifique.
Gianna will ask you questions that require expert input, so be careful. Moreover, when asked for the final ingredient, suggest the poisoned root that you received from Astrid. She will then lead you to the dining room, where you will watch Emperor Titus Mede II die from eating Potage le Magnifique.
When that happens, you will then be attacked by Commander Maro’s men in Penitus Oculatus. He will reveal that you killed a double and that an assassin has betrayed you. It means the Sanctuary by Falkreath will no longer be a Fast Travel location. Therefore, you will have to fight your way past the Penitus Oculatus and return to the vicinity of the Sanctuary, where you will be attacked by more of Maro’s men.
All in all, these are the best quests in Skyrim that will challenge your skills and provide you with great rewards. Moreover, apart from the skills and rewards, you will also be able to dive deeper into the lore of Skyrim. And that will eventually open doors for curiosity and answers.
Moreover, if you are not aware, the 2023 VR Mods of Skyrim and Best Skyrim PC Mods In 2023 have changed the game. Not only that, but if you get your hands on the Nightingale Armor along with the Best One-Handed Weapon, you will be able to complete most of these quests with ease.
- How To Cure Vampirism Skyrim
- Skyrim – All Dragon Priest Mask Locations
- Skyrim: How To Get Serana As A Follower
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍