Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty has an in-depth combat system and is extremely difficult. Keeping these things in mind, players should follow a Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty combat guide for beginners to truly grasp the game’s fundamentals.
In Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, combat revolves around the “posture system” and deflecting, which is done by pressing Direction + Dodge. Successfully deflecting an enemy attack will fill up their “posture meter.” Once this meter is full, their stance will be broken, leaving them vulnerable to a critical attack, executed by making a “Heavy Attack”.
Keep in mind, however, that you also have a posture meter. This will fill up by
- Using Heavy Attacks
- Martial Arts
- Missing A Deflect
- Getting Hit
Effective Way Of Playing
- Defensive play is highly effective in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty due to the absence of animation cancel like Sekiro.
- Hold guard and deflect on reaction to enemy attacks; after a successful chain, hit with 2 attacks for safety.
- Deflect special enemy attacks indicated by a red hue, as they cannot be blocked and offer openings for offense.
- Prioritize deflecting over dodging, as dodging has poor invulnerable frames and less reward.
- Deflecting a normal enemy instantly breaks their posture, making them easier to deal with.
- Following these steps in the combat guide can significantly ease the game for players.
- Morale Rank indicates the threat level of the player or enemy in the game, affecting damage and defense.
- Higher Morale Rank makes enemies more dangerous.
- Increase Morale Rank by finding flag poles and offering healing flasks at dead player graves (online only).
- Killing strong enemies also boosts Morale Rank.
- If the player dies, Morale Rank drops, and the enemy that killed them becomes stronger.
Genuine Qi is your experience points in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. It is used to upgrade your stats called Virtues, similar to Nioh and Souls games. Your stats are
- Wood: Affects HP and increases Sword effectiveness.
- Fire: Makes your attacks deal more posture damage and increases Straight Sabre effectiveness.
- Earth: Increases your total equipment load and boosts Glaive effectiveness.
- Water: Boosts stealth and reduces the posture cost of deflecting. In addition, it augments Dual Swords and Ranged Weapons.
- Metal: Makes it difficult for your posture to drop down and increases Curved Sword effectiveness.
All of these Virtues lead to their own spell branches. For example,
- Leveling up Fire will unlock Fire Spells.
- Wood unlocks Lightning Spells.
- Metal unlocks Toxic Spells.
- Water unlocks Frost Spells.
- Earth unlocks Rock Spells.
All of these spells are very powerful in their own right. That is why we suggest that you level up other stats too, but do not forget to prioritize the stats for your main weapon. This is one of the most important steps in our Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty combat guide for beginners.
While the stealth in Wo Long is pretty barebones compared to Sekiro, it is certainly effective. You can land a critical strike on unaware enemies to kill them in 1 hit. This can be done by holding the guard button and then walking. Since this is the most reliable way to walk slowly in Wo Long, enemies will not hear you coming.
In addition, using your bow to hit enemies in the head from far away is also a great option.
Divine Beasts are similar in concept to Nioh’s Guardian Spirits. These entities, based on Chinese Mythology, will aid you in battle once your Divine Beast Gauge is full. They can be summoned by pressing Dodge + Heavy Attack to do a mighty attack that will dish a lot of damage.
We recommend that you only use this attack if you are against a big crowd, powerful mini-bosses, or fighting a boss. Divine Beasts do a lot of posture damage and normal damage, so use it to tip the scales in your favor.
Use Your Allies
In Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, you will have AI NPCs to aid you throughout the missions. You should use them smartly. For example, if you are up against a big mob, use your companion as a meatshield that draws aggro, while you dish out loads of damage.
While you are making your way through the area and you see a giant field in front of you, it is a boss fight. Now, there is always either a shortcut or a checkpoint nearby, so make sure you always unlock these to save some time.
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is the latest endeavor by the creators of Nioh, Team Ninja. It takes heavy inspiration from Sekiro in its combat, with the addition of a posture system. In addition, it takes the QoL additions from Nioh and boasts an incredibly detailed character creator. All in all, it is a worthy addition to the Soulslike genre and a must-play for all hardcore fans of Team Ninja and Souls alike.
And there you have it; with our Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty beginners guide, you will easily overcome all obstacles the game throws at you.
Take a look at the game length of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty if you are playing it.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍