Having an active antivirus on your operating system may protect you from certain viruses. However, oftentimes, they interfere with game files, which causes multiple errors. To avoid having these sorts of errors in the future, we have crafted a detailed guide on how to whitelist the game directory in all antivirus software.
Since Windows Defender is Window’s own antivirus software, it is quite easy to navigate through it. Follow the steps given below to whitelist game files from Windows Defender.
- Press Win, and search for Check For Updates.
- Next, click on Windows Security.
- Now, under Protection Areas, click on Virus & Threat Protection.
- Under Virus & Threat Protection Settings, click on Manage Settings.
- There will be a heading for exclusions. Under that, click on Add or Remove Exclusions.
- Now, select whichever game folder you want to whitelist and add it.
- Restart your PC to make sure the changes persist.
There you have it. Now your game folder is whitelisted from the Windows Defender Antivirus Software.
Avast is a very popular antivirus software, and whitelisting certain folders from it is really not that hard. To do so, follow the steps given below.
- Press Win, and search for Avast Antivirus.
- Once you have opened it, navigate to Settings, which sits on the right side of the options bar.
- After doing so, click on Add Exceptions.
- Next, browse your files to find the game folder you want to whitelist.
- Finally, click on Add Exception.
Boom! Your game folder is now whitelisted in the Avast Antivirus software.
Bit Defender Firewall
It is not hard to navigate through the settings of the Bit Defender Firewall software. To white list game directories in this antivirus software, follow the steps below.
- Press Win, and search for Bit Defender Firewall. Open it.
- Upon opening, you will see an option for Protection. Click it.
- Under the Safe Files Tab, click on Application Access.
- From there, you can select the game folder you want to exclude. Browse through your files to find it.
- After selecting the folder, close the application.
Yep, it’s really easy to Whitelist a Game Directory in the Bit Defender Firewall Antivirus.
To whitelist your game directories in Kaspersky, follow the simple and easy steps below.
- Press Win, and search for Kaspersky. Open it.
- Now click on Settings, which sits in the left corner.
- There will be an option for Additional. Click it.
- Now, proceed to Threats & Exclusions.
- Click the option for Specify Trusted Application, which would sit below Manage Exclusions.
- Now, press the Add button on the top left.
- After that, click on Add In The New Window.
- Click Browse to find the game directory you want to exclude.
- After selecting the game directory, click on the Add button, which will now be on the bottom right.
- Press OK.
- Click on Save to save these changes.
We know this was a bit long, but there we have it!
Similar to Kaspersky, whitelisting a game directory in Norton Antivirus is a long process. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Press Win, and open Norton Antivirus by searching for it.
- Once opened, go to its settings.
- Now, navigate to the Antivirus tab.
- Once there, go to the Scans And Risk tab.
- There will be an option for Items to exclude from Scans. Click the configure option in front of it.
- Now, click on Add Folder.
- Find the game directory you want to exclude from Norton Antivirus.
- Make sure the checkbox for including the folder is checked.
- Once you press OK, you will be brought to the exclusion management window again. Press OK on the management window to finalize the changes.
- Now, press the configure button that sits in front of the option for Item To Exclude From Auto-Protect, Sonar, and Download Intelligence Detection.
- Now repeat the process of adding a folder here as well, just like how you did for Items to Exclude From Scans.
- Close the application.
After a long process, you are done!
Unlike the antivirus software above, Avg Antivirus is fairly easy to navigate. Follow the steps below to exclude game directories from Avg Antivirus.
- Press Win, and search for Avg Antivirus. Open it once you find it.
- Go to Settings.
- Upon entering Settings, click on General.
- Once you are in General Settings, go to Exceptions.
- Now, click on Add Exception.
- Now type the file path to your game directory. Then click Add Exception.
There you have it! It really was that simple.
McAfee is also a popular antivirus software. To add your favorite game’s directory to the list of exceptions here, follow the steps listed down below.
- Press Win, and open McAfee by searching for it.
- Click on settings, and then proceed to Firewall.
- Now, proceed to select Internet Connection For Programs.
- Now browse to find the directory you want to exclude.
- Press Save when you select the desired game directory.
There you go! All done.
Malwarebytes is a very popular Antivirus software, that is used all around the globe. To whitelist game directories from this software, follow the steps given down below.
- Open Malwarebytes by searching for it after pressing Win.
- Now select Settings and choose Allow list.
- Click Add File if you want to exclude the exe file or Add Folder if you want to exclude the whole folder.
- Follow the path and select the file/folder you want to make invincible for further scan.
- Run the program after selecting Confirm.
- Close the Application.
If you follow these steps carefully, you will have successfully whitelisted the game directory from MalwareBytes.
Unfortunately, whitelisting a game directory in Avira is a long process. So, follow the steps listed below carefully.
- Open Avira by searching for it after pressing Win.
- Now, open up the Avira Settings.
- Once you are in Settings, go to the PC Protection tab.
- Click on Exceptions.
- You will see an option for Browse. Press that and navigate to the game directory you want to whitelist.
- Once chosen, click on Add.
- Finally, click Apply.
There you have it. You are all done!
Benefits Of Whitelisting Game Directory in Antivirus Software
When you whitelist a game directory of whichever antivirus software you are using, you can reap many benefits. The biggest ones are listed down below.
All Antivirus programs take time to perform scans for various files. This consumes system resources, which results in poorer performance. Once a game folder is whitelisted, you can skip the scanning stage, resulting in a faster loading time and smoother experience.
Reduced False Positives
Antivirus programs can occasionally flag legitimate game files or processes as potentially harmful, triggering false positive alerts. Whitelisting the game directory prevents such false positives, as the antivirus recognizes and trusts the approved games, minimizing interruptions or unnecessary scanning.
The biggest benefit of whitelisting game directories in Antivirus software is fewer errors. New patches and updates often trigger Antivirus software without reason, causing network errors. By whitelisting the game directories, you will never be afraid of this happening.
We hope we helped you whitelist your game’s directory in whichever antivirus software tool that you use. We would also encourage you to read our guide on the best optimization techniques for gaming in Windows 10 to have the best gaming experience.
A whitelist folder is the folder that contains all folders or files that have been excluded for checking by whichever antivirus software you use. Make sure only to whitelist those folders or files that are guaranteed to be safe.
You can do so by whitelisting them in your antivirus software. To do that, read our article!
Disabling antivirus does not have a direct effect on the FPS. However, disabling antivirus improves the overall stability of the system, which can lead to more consistent FPS. It also reduces network-induced errors.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍