Fishing with Bait in Stardew Valley is a fantastic way to earn money in the early game and catch ingredients to turn into food. Additionally, certain fish like the Walleye, Catfish, and Sturgeon are necessary to complete the Community Center Bundles that unlock various different features in the game. So it helps to get a leg up where you can.
But fishing can be a bit tricky, mostly because the mini-game involving it can be difficult for new players. It sucks when you spend time playing through it, only to realize that your reward was an insignificant catch. And this doesn’t even account for the number of times you’re likely to pull up literal trash with your fishing rod.
Bait helps in this situation by making the fish bite much more often than usual. So with this Stardew Valley Bait guide, we’ll show players how to use this item with their fishing rods.
How To Use Bait Stardew Valley
The first thing players have to know is that Bait does not work with every fishing rod in the game. Out of the four different rods in Stardew Valley, only two are capable of using it.
More From Stardew Valley: How To Unlock The Quarry.
We’ll show you how to get each fishing rod in the game:
- Training Rod: This special training rod can be purchased from Willy’s Fish Shop for 25g. It cannot use Bait.
- Bamboo Pole: The first proper fishing rod, which is given to you for free by the NPC Willy. It also cannot use Bait.
- Fiberglass Rod: A more competent rod can only be bought from Willy’s Fish Shop for 1800g after you reach level 2 in the Fishing Skill. Can use Bait
- Iridium Rod: An end-game fishing rod that can be acquired from Willy’s Fish Shop for 7500g after reaching level 6 in the Fishing Skill. You can also use Bait.
Both the Fiberglass and Iridium rods can only be bought after the player invests some time into fishing and develops the skill.
So the Bait serves no function in the game until you practice catching fish a bit and buy proper gear.
How To Equip Bait
Once you do have these rods, equipping the Bait is a simple procedure.
More From Stardew Valley: The Best Ways To Get Clay.
The game doesn’t tell you how to do this, but we’ll guide you through it step by step:
- Open your inventory.
- Left-click on the mouse or press the A, X or A buttons on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo Switch respectively, to pick it up.
- Drag the pointer over to either the Fiberglass or Iridium rods.
- Now right-click on the mouse or press the X, Square or Y buttons on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch, respectively to attach the Bait.
- You can now start fishing with the rod, with the bait equipped.
This is a straightforward procedure, but many players have trouble figuring this out due to a lack of a proper tutorial.
This has been eXputer’s How To Use Bait Stardew Valley guide.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍