Before we say anything, let me make it clear that we think NBA 2K has extremely smooth gameplay, and it runs like a charm on almost all consoles. However, some might say it is a bit unpolished, which results in errors like the NBA 2K24 error code 4b538e50. This error is primarily a network error, but it might be caused by other problems. The ambiguity is extremely frustrating, and the error results in being extremely hard to solve.
What Causes NBA 2K24 Error Code 4b538e50?
As explained in the error message, error code 4b538e50 means that something interfered with the communication between you and the NBA 2K24 servers. Although the core issue is miscommunication, there are still several factors that can contribute to its occurrence. Here is a brief list of these culprits:
- Your NBA 2K24 account might not be verified.
- Your internet connection could be too slow.
- The default DNS server of your internet might block access to the 2K servers.
- Your version of NBA 2K24 might not be updated to the latest version.
- The backend servers of NBA 2K24 might not be operating.
- You may have surpassed the maximum number of devices allowed to be concurrently active on your 2K account.
Before trying anything else, make sure to try the basic solutions. These include updating NBA 2K24, verifying the status of 2K’s servers, and restarting your PC or console. If error code 4b538e50 persists, keep trying all of the methods mentioned below until it is fixed.
Verify Your 2K Account & Check Account Limits
You might have made your account but failed to verify it. You can verify your account in two ways: by clicking the verification email or by logging directly into your account from a web browser.
If you have not received a confirmation email, you can log into your account by going over to the official 2K website. Simply signing in with your email and password will verify your account. If not, a new confirmation email will be sent to your account for verification.
On the other hand, running too many accounts on a single console will also lead to error code 4b538e50. 2K only allows up to 5 accounts on a single system. If you make a sixth account and try to log in, you will be greeted with error code 4b538e50. This is likely due to security concerns.
As of right now, there is no official method to resolve this error for accounts created after the initial five.
Check Server Status
Just like in the error message, the first thing you need to do is check their server status and make sure that the error is not on your end. You can do so by going to their status page.
However, sometimes, these official websites are sluggish in reporting current outages. In that case, it is advisable to check for third-party websites like Down-detector and verify that the NBA 2K error code 4b538e50 was not caused by a server outage/
As you can see, NBA 2K faced a massive outage at 9 a.m. today, reaching almost 2,000 reports. However, if there are no server outages currently, and you are still getting this error, you can also check out their social media page for frequent updates.
Check And Improve Your Internet Connection
Since the root cause of this error is a network issue, the first thing you do after checking the server status must be checking and improving your internet connection. First, you need to test your internet connection.
If your internet connection’s speed is below 5 MBP/S, you will be prone to network-based errors just like this one. But you do not have to worry because we have a couple of techniques that can help you improve your internet connection without spending buttloads of money.
Move Closer To Your Router
This simple technique helps save you a lot of time and money. If you are in an isolated place, your internet speed will suffer. Simply set up your computer closer to your router to get the maximum possible speed.
Use An Ethernet Cable
Using an ethernet cable is known for improving internet connections dramatically. This alone can solve all your network-based issues. You will face a hassle only at the beginning of setting everything up. After that, your internet connection will be much smoother for the rest of your computer’s lifetime.
Restart Your Modem
Restarting Your Modem not only improves your internet connection but also has security advantages. It can fix temporary glitches, which happen more often than you might think. However, you should make sure to pause all ongoing downloads and save all active tasks before restarting your modem.
Avoid Network Congestion
When too many devices are moving the same internet connection, the speed gets diluted, resulting in a much sluggish experience. This can also hinder gaming and make errors pop up. So, make sure to disconnect all idle devices that are connected to your network.
Close Unnecessary Applications
Unnecessary applications that are open on your PC may hog some speed, causing a slower internet speed overall. This can hinder your overall gaming experience, so it’s best only to have the important stuff running in the background while closing up unnecessary applications. Doing this could potentially help you overcome the NBA 2K error code 4b538e50.
Log Out Of Other NBA Accounts
You might be facing the NBA 2K Error Code 4b538e50 because of having too many NBA 2K accounts on your system. Each system has a maximum capacity to hold only 5 accounts, and if you have more than or equal to this, the first you created will not be able to access the server.
Hence, you must log out enough of them so the capacity is less than 5. However, just to be safe, we advise logging out of all of them and then logging in from the one you want to use. See if this fixes the NBA 2K error code 4b538e50
Check If You Have Required Storage
Every game updates now and then, so even if you initially had enough storage to download NBA 2K, you might not have enough for its updates. To see if you have enough storage, follow the steps below.
- Press Win, and search for NBA 2K.
- Now click on Open In File Location. See which disk it is located on.
- Next, go to My PC.
- See if the disk it was installed on has enough storage.
- If the disk on which NBA 2K is installed has less than 1 GB of storage available, you will have to delete things to make extra storage.
Now that you have extra storage, you will have to update the game manually. To do so, follow the steps given below.
- Press Win, and search for Steam. Open it.
- Next, click on the Downloads text. It will be located at the bottom of your screen.
- Now, pick NBA 2K.
- The update will now download. Wait until it is downloaded.
Relaunch the game again and see if the NBA 2K24 error code 4b538e50 still persists.
Disable VPN Or Proxy
VPNs and Proxies might add a security level to your system. However, they can interfere with certain applications. Since VPNs make it seem like that you are in a different geographical location, the application you are trying to run is not directly communicating with your PC.
This miscommunication can cause errors, just like this one. So, to solve the error, disable your VPN and Proxy temporarily and relaunch the game. Check if the error is still there, and if it is not, then move on to the next solution.
Change Your DNS Server
Communication between two servers or networks is possible thanks to our DNS servers. However, if the default DNS server that we use is not optimal, this communication of data packets can become extremely inconsistent. Not all DNS servers are made equal, with some servers offering superior transfer speeds, more straightforward routing, and a greater number of IP addresses in their database.
One of the best DNS servers that you can use is Google’s public DNS, which is 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199.
Here’s how you can change your DNS from default to Google’s:
- Press the Windows icon on your keyboard. This will open the start menu.
- Type Control Panel in the start menu’s search bar and click on the first result.
- Inside the control panel, click on Network and Internet. From here, select Network and Sharing Center.
- You will now enter a new window. Here, click Change Adapter Settings located on the left side of your screen.
- You will now see your network adapters. Right-click the network adapter that you are connected to and select Properties.
- Make sure you are in the Networking tab of the properties. Now move your attention to “This connection uses the following items.”
- In this section, scroll down until you can find the internet protocol you use.
- If you use IPv4, you will find that Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) is ticked. However, IPv6 users will notice the tick on Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Highlight the ticked protocol by clicking on it, then click Properties.
- Now, select Advanced and then click DNS.
- If you notice any DNS servers listed here, get rid of them. Once done, click OK.
- Back in the protocol properties, select “Use the following DNS server addresses.”
- For IPv4 protocol, enter 188.8.131.52 as the Preferred DNS server and 184.108.40.206 as the Alternate DNS.
- As for IPv6 users, enter 2001:4860:4860::8888 for Preferred and 2001:4860:4860::8844 for Alternate.
- After completing the process, click OK and reboot your system.
If you would like a more comprehensive guide to changing DNS servers on all platforms, read How To Change DNS Server [All Platforms]
We hope we helped you solve this error. We are aware of how frustrating it can be. If you are a true gamer, always trying to improve, do check out BEST NBA 2K23 Builds. Also, to improve your overall experience, read our guide on Best Camera Settings & Angles for NBA 2K23.
You can fix this error by trying out a plethora of solutions, like re-verifying your email address, improving your internet connection, checking for server outages, and freeing up space.
Being unable to connect to the game’s servers is a sign of a weak internet connection. You can try improving your internet connection by using an ethernet cable, reducing network congestion, moving closer to the router, and closing unnecessary applications. You can also try disabling any VPNs and Proxies, along with modifying your DNS
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍