The Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf is a network error caused by either, your personal network connection, or an outage at Xbox. The Error is quite common, and even though this error has affected most people in the Xbox community, there are not many proper solutions available online. The Error Code usually shows up at login. The user would be connected to the internet. However, when they log in, Xbox would tell them they are not connected to the internet.
- You’ll encounter Xbox error code 0x800704cf while signing in or when installing and playing a new game. There are several reasons that can trigger this error including internet connectivity issues at your end, or Xbox server outages.
- First, you should make sure about the Xbox Server Status to see if the issue is at their end. After that, you can try testing your connection, restarting your console, clearing up local storage, cleaning your MAC address, or altering your DNS.
- You can also try playing a game without signing in. This is a sneaky little hack a few users came up with.
- If all else fails, contacting Xbox Support might be your last option.
How To Fix the Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf?
The origination of this error code comes from simple problems. Similarly, the solutions are pretty simple too. Using one of our quick methods, you will be back on track with your gaming.
Check Xbox Server Status
First things first, let us clear out the possibility that the issue resides in Xbox’s cooperation. For this, you simply have to click this link. If everything is working perfectly, you should be seeing this on your screen.
If you see anything other than this, that means your network is not an issue. You will just have to wait for this one out but do not worry. You will be back to gaming with your friends in no time.
Check Your Internet Connection
Connection Errors from the user’s end are one of the most common causes of this error. Users will try everything and anything before checking their connection. So, it is important to test your connection, before tying any other methods, which might cause other problems.
For this, grab a device that is close to your Xbox, and run a YouTube video on it. For example, this one. If this runs smoothly, then you can move on to the next fix.
Otherwise, unplug your internet modem, and wait for around 20 seconds. Plug it back in, and check your internet connection again. If the issue persists, it is time to contact your internet service provider.
Test Your Internet Connection
As we mentioned before, even if you are connected to an active internet connection, the connection must also meet the minimum requirements. It should also not keep getting cut off from time to time.
We recommend using an internet connection with more than 20mbp/s, but if it is below 10mbp/s, we might know what the problem is. You can check your internet connection speed by clicking this link.
If your internet connection falls below the threshold, you might want to contact your internet service provider as they are failing to provide a decent internet connection. We hope this will resolve the Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf.
Restart Your Console
This trick has been used for ages, and surprisingly, the majority of the time, it has worked. Restarting your Xbox is extremely simple, yet very effective. This can solve minor issues, just like this one. However, do not just normally restart your console like you always do.
Remove the power cable from the back of your device, and wait for at least 30 seconds. Once done, plug the cable back in and fire up your Xbox.
This will start a power cycle, which refreshes the system and helps avoid temporary glitches or errors that were previously showing up.
Clear Up Local Storage
Clearing out your local storage might be a good idea if all the above-mentioned methods failed to work. This solution has worked for numerous users. Follow the simple steps listed below.
- Launch your Xbox, and click on Settings.
- Next, navigate to All Settings, and click on System Settings. It will be on the left-hand side.
- Press Storage.
- Now just press Clear Local Saved Games.
You are all done! Launch your Xbox again and try to log in. Hopefully, the issue was resolved.
Try Playing a Game Without Logging In
This fix is a quick workaround, which has solved this error code for many users. The steps are quite simple.
- Log out of your profile.
- Reconnect your Console to a network.
- Pick out any game of your choice and launch it.
- You will be asked to log in.
- Simply select your profile and try signing in.
The same error should not persist this time around.
Further Read: How to Fix Xbox Error Code 80153048
Alter Mac Address and DNS
This method is a bit more complicated than the rest but will work if all else fails.
- First, launch your Xbox, and navigate to Settings.
- You will be greeted with the General Section of the settings. In it, there would be an option for Network Settings. Click it.
- Now that you are in the Network Settings, there will be an option for Advanced Settings in the bottom left. Press that.
- Next up Click the option for Alternate Mac Address.
- When you press this, there will be an option to Clear Mac Address. Click that option. This will restart your console.
- The error should be gone now, however, if it is not, navigate back to the Advanced Settings of your Network Settings.
- This time, click on DNS Settings.
- You want to manually change your DNS settings, so click that option.
- Set your Primary IPv4 to 126.96.36.199.
- Now, change your Secondary IPv4 to 188.8.131.52.
If you follow these steps thoroughly, we are positive your Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf will stop appearing. We know all of this might seem a bit complicated, but trust the process!
Contact Xbox Support
When all else fails, there is nothing left to do except contact Xbox Support. Do not be disappointed, as this specific tech support staff is highly reputed, and we are sure your experience with them will go smoothly. Simply click this link.
What Causes Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf?
There are multiple causes for this specific error. All of them can be divided into two categories. A network issue at your end, or an Xbox or Xbox-related outage.
Limited Internet Connectivity On Console
One of the most common reasons why this error shows up is when your console is not connected to the internet or your internet service provider has an outage, and has failed to provide you with a proper connection. You need to ensure your console has an active internet connection.
Slow Internet Connection
You may be connected to an active internet connection, but if your connection fails to meet certain requirements, this error can show up. Also, your connection cutting in and out can be the reason for this error. We would recommend a stable connection of 20mbp/s to ensure that the problem is not from your end.
Down Xbox Servers
Even though Xbox cooperation is one of the biggest names in the gaming industry, it still faces server outages from time to time. This prevents login capabilities of users all across the world. You just have to wait it out, if this is the issue.
Outages At Other Xbox Services
Oftentimes, Xbox’s server status seems to be fine. And even though your internet connection is working well, you still face this error. This might be because there is an outage in certain Xbox services, which are not part of the Core Services provided by Xbox Live.
How Do I Prevent Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf Error?
There are a few easy steps you can follow to avoid encountering this error in the future. We know how frustrating network issues can be, and we are here to make sure it does not happen again.
- Make sure your Internet Connection has a speed of above 20mbp/s.
- Always have a few GBs of storage left over. The recommended amount would be 10GB.
- Do not mess with your DNS settings without supervision from a computer technician.
- Do not Alter your MAC address.
We have listed every possible way to fix this annoying network error, and we are quite positive that at least one of them worked for you. We understand how annoying it is to come home after a long day, and not have a peaceful gaming session. If we helped you fix your error, do let us know in the comments!
If you are an avid user of Xbox One, we suggest keeping up with Xbox One News and Updates. This section of our website will alert you to any news or errors that have been coming up.
How to Fix Xbox Error Code 0x800704cf - FAQs
The Microsoft / Xbox cooperation is home to one of the best technical minds in the world. We are sure it will just take a couple of hours max before this error goes away.
No, all your storage and progress will remain the same.
No, all fixes posted here are tried and tested. They are guaranteed to not cause any further problems.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍