Minecraft Fortune Enchantment – All You Need to Know

The Minecraft Fortune enchantment can truly get you profitable results when mining in-game. Learn all you need to know about it here.

Minecraft’s Survival Mode is where the player with the highest resources is king. You venture out into the wilds of the game and brave an exhaustive variety of mobs, just to revamp your gameplay experience. However, things aren’t as simple in Minecraft as picking up your pickaxe and going with the flow. Although, you should know that equipping the Fortune Enchantment can take you to new heights in Minecraft.

Key Highlights
  • Fortune is a unique digging and mining-based enchantment introduced in Minecraft v1.0.0.
  • Applying this enchantment to your tools lets you yield more item drops when mining or digging, like getting more diamonds from a diamond ore or more crops from a field.
  • The common ways to get this enchantment is from the enchantment table with Lapis Lazuli, trading with a Librarian, or finding it from chests or fishing.
  • However, Fortune is incompatible with the Silk Touch enchantment, preventing you from steamrolling through ores and fields while also getting higher drops!
  • It also does not increase the overall XP you get from digging or mining.

There is a bevy of different enchantments in Minecraft, including the best axe enchants, but none of them are quite like the Fortune enchantment. This particular buff implements a unique effect on players’ tools that allows them to yield more resources. Quite exactly like the name of the enchantment depicts. With that said, there’s a lot more to the Minecraft Fortune enchantment than what meets the eye. 

What Are Enchantments In Minecraft? 

Enchantments are particular perks that serve the purpose of enhancing the base properties of tools, armor, and weapons. These are a way of improving the regular game experience by adding in a mix of special bonuses. To sum up the working mechanism of enchantment would be to mention how Feather Falling operates as an example. The latter is an enchantment that can be exerted on Boots to reduce fall damage.

Most enchantments except for an anointed few have power levels. Each power level increases the effects of the enchant or expands its chances of working successfully. Feather Falling has four, meaning that Feather Falling IV will provide you with the highest decrease in fall damage, which is 48%.  

You will need Experience to upgrade enchants to higher power levels though. This is one of the many resources in Minecraft that can be obtained in the form of Experience Orbs. Defeating mobs, mining, fishing, trading with villagers, smelting, and plenty of other ways can be approached for harvesting Experience. 

To upgrade enchantments, you will require an enchanted item in the first place. Armors, weapons, and other tools can be enchanted by the Enchantment Table or the Anvil if you have Enchanted Books. The benefit of the latter is that you can combine multiple enchants together to make them more powerful using the Anvil.

minecraft fortune on axe
Enchanting Table in Minecraft

That’s potentially how you get the best armor in the game to equip as well. There are certain incompatibilities, however, to look out for as well when you’re merging enchantments together. For instance, the Infinity enchantment that lets you shoot unlimited arrows from the crossbow cannot be used in combination with Mending

Talking about the Fortune enchantment in Minecraft will help you better understand what all of this fuss is about. We’ll be sure to cover everything important related to this enchantment, including the different ways you can obtain it to leave no stone unturned. Let’s get right into it. 

Fortune Enchantment Minecraft

Max LevelDescriptionBuffsHow To Acquire
Fortune Level 3Increase the chances of item drops as well as the number of item drops.
  • Fortune I gives a total of 33% chance increase for item drops.
  • Fortune II gives a total of 70% chance increase for item drops.
  • Fortune III gives a total of 120% chance increase for item drops. 
  • Fishing
  • Trading with a Villager
  • Looting Chests
  • Enchantment Table

The Fortune enchantment is a particular type of perk that lets you have more item drops compared to what you would be getting without it. Now, of course, Fortune also has power levels that it can be upgraded to. The higher the power level, the more the chances of you getting profitable results. 

Before we get into all that, it’s worth talking about the eligible tools that Fortune can be used with. This enchantment can be applied to the following tools in Minecraft: 

  • Pickaxe
  • Hoe
  • Axe
  • Shovel

Killing mobs, defeating bosses, and doing just about everything else with a sword also potentially drops resources. However, the enchantment in question cannot be applied to swords.

Fortune has power levels as described earlier. The maximum level that the Fortune enchantment in Minecraft can be upgraded to is 3.

  • The base version of Fortune provides players with a 33% chance of doubling what they get upon mining a resource block.
  • If you were to use the Fortune 2 Minecraft enchant, you would be liable to a whopping 75% increase in total to receive more drops. It wouldn’t be just the chances that are increased when using Fortune II, but the number of drops as well. There would be a 25% chance of getting double drops and a similar 25% chance of getting triple the number of items. The average, therefore, would be a 75% chance of enhancement.
  • This leaves us with Minecraft Fortune 3, which is nothing but a godsend for players looking to gather a ton of resources in a relatively shorter period of time. Fortune III gives you an average of 120% increase in drops. It also takes the multiplier level to 4, making it possible to obtain four times the original number of items from resources. You should be aware of the fact that despite humongous multiplication in these chances, there’s still no guarantee that you’ll always get more drops, even with Fortune III equipped. 

Realistically speaking though, you’ll almost always get a higher number of drops when Fortune III is applied to your tools. The enchantment works best on ores in Minecraft, especially the following: 

  • Lapis Lazuli Ore
  • Nether Gold Ore
  • Diamond Ore
  • Coal Ore
  • Amethyst Cluster
  • Nether Quartz Ore
  • Iron Ore
  • Copper Ore

Other ores that can yield desirable results include Emerald Ore and Gold Ore. The Fortune enchant also works for other types of blocks as well, including Glowstone, Melon, Nether Wart, Redstone Ore, Sea Lantern, and Sweet Berries. The most prominent two types of blocks in Minecraft that remain uninfluenced by any of the levels of the Fortune enchant are Grass and Ferns.

These two typically drop Wheat Seeds. These are important resource that allows you to breed chickens and employ a Wheat farm. That said, Fortune doesn’t affect the chances of Wheat Seeds dropping from Grasses and Ferns, but it does multiply the number of the item when it actually drops. The enchant will only come into effect when the drop actually happens. It won’t, however, change the chances of the aforementioned blocks dropping those resources. 

Fortune and Silk Touch are incompatible with each other. The latter is an enchantment that works in a unique way. It makes a certain block drop itself rather than getting you the items that the block would have typically dropped. For instance, mining the Diamond ore with the Silk Touch enchant equipped with any of your tools can get you the Diamond ore itself instead of Diamonds. You can then use these blocks for building purposes. 

We’ve talked a lot about the Fortune enchantment itself and how it operates, but we still haven’t discussed how to get it. Let’s dive right into that below.         

How to Obtain Fortune in Minecraft  

The Fortune enchantment can be obtained in multiple ways. We’re going to cover each of them in detail, so you can be flexible with your options and choose which option to go with yourself. 


fortune 2 minecraft
Fishing for Fortune

One of the first ways of getting Fortune in Minecraft is by fishing. It’s not one of the recommended methods, though, since there is a low chance of getting the enchant in question this way. Odds are you might get an Enchanted Book that comprises the Fortune enchantment. 

If you have your house, base, or any other type of homestead set up near a water source, it might be worth fishing occasionally in the hopes of getting Fortune. Who knows? Perhaps you’ll find a decked-out Enchanted Book with all the bells and whistles for your digging tools. 

Trading With A Villager 

Trading for Fortune With a Villager
Trading for Fortune With a Villager

As iterated earlier, Fortune is a fairly rare enchantment to get in the game. One of the best ways you can obtain the enchant is to explore different villages spread out across the multitude of biomes in the game. By doing this, you’ll be increasing your reach and depth and finding more traders to interact with. Some have even referred to this method as the best way to get Fortune enchantment in Minecraft!

The Librarian trader is the one to look out for in villages. This is a specific NPC that will carry the most chances of having a Fortune enchantment up for grabs. If you’re lucky, you’ll even find Fortune III by trading with a Librarian without putting in any extra effort. 

You will have to venture out into the game’s Survival Mode and gather a fair amount of Experience too while you’re at that. This will allow you to increase your chances of finding the enchant during trades. If you’re unable to locate the perk on your first go, don’t lose hope just yet and keep up the exploration. 

Obtaining Through Chests

minecraft fortune 3
Fortune III in a Loot Chest

Another method that can be approached to obtain Fortune is through Loot Chests. You’ll find these present across the survival terrain of Minecraft, so don’t be afraid to pop open those chests in the hopes of finding Fortune. This is, indeed, a rare enchantment to retrieve in the game, so it might take you a while before you can finally get your hands on it. 

It’s worth mentioning again that Fortune isn’t a common enchantment to find in Minecraft. There are four major forms of chests in the games, including OrdinaryTrapped, Bonus, and Ender Chests. The biggest chance that you have of finding Fortune would be in an Ordinary chest and that is something you’ll find quite commonly in Minecraft. 

Enchantment Table 

fortune enchant minecraft
Fortune III

This leaves us with the final method of obtaining the Fortune enchantment in Minecraft, which also happens to be quite obvious. The Enchantment Table within the game is your go-to place for slapping enchants on tools, weapons, and armor.

Without this utilitarian feature, you only have the Anvil to tend to for enchantment. But that too cannot give you enchantments on its own. You’ll only be able to combine enchants together thereby merging the effects into one single Enchanted Book using the latter and not generate one out of thin air.

You definitely can’t do without the Enchantment Table in Minecraft, therefore. It paves the way for us to employ unique characteristics to our weapons and armor and brave the Survival Mode like never before. With that said, getting into the gist of this hefty tool has its fair share of complications. Fret not though because given some easy-to-understand instructions, you’ll be using the Enchantment Table like a pro in no time.

How To Use?

First off, you need to understand that enchanting with the Enchantment Table requires Experience Levels. This is something that we’ve gone through already in one of the sections above. Gaining enough Experience Orbs allows you to level up and thereby increase the status of your Experience.

Apart from the latter, you will need two more preliminary items to obtain an enchantment successfully. These are: 

  • The weapon, armor, or tool that you’re trying to enchant
  • Lapis Lazuli

Now, Lapis Lazuli is another uncommon material that’s found deep within the earth in Minecraft. You’ll mostly locate it in the middle and lower part of the underground regions when you’re mining deep enough. Lapis Lazuli is a resource that’s harvested from a Lapis Lazuli Ore.

Having the Fortune III enchantment equipped sets you up to possibly receive more than 30 Lapis Lazuli from a single Lapis Lazuli ore. Pretty nifty, right? Another point worth mentioning that revolves around obtaining this material in Minecraft is the prerequisite of the tool you’ll dig the ore with. 

Enchantment and Experience
Enchantment and Experience

The screenshot above is a clear illustration of the Experience Levels required to obtain that specific enchantment. The higher the level, the better the enchantment will be. Let’s get into the different tips and tricks that will help you find the Minecraft Fortune Enchantment on the other side of the interface when enchanting. 

The first piece of advice that we have for you is to surround the Enchantment Table with Bookshelves. These are particular blocks that serve the purpose of manifesting better enchantments for the player in the Enchantment Table. A Bookshelf can be mined with the Silk Touch enchant equipped, traded with villagers, and crafted as well through a certain set of ingredients. 

A total of 15 Bookshelves can be placed two blocks away from the Enchantment Table in order to improve enchantment results. No more an amount of these blocks can possibly help you enhance the effects of enchanting a tool. This is the first thing that you have to make sure of to maximize your chances of finding Fortune. The other major factor being Experience, of course. 

  • Do make sure that you’ve nailed the positioning of each placed Bookshelf. A good indication to watch out for is special type of particles gravitating toward the Enchantment Table. That way, you’ll know you’ve set the Bookshelves in the right place. 

As for the second tip, always use a Fortune-eligible tool in combination with Lapis Lazuli when trying to obtain this enchant. Fortune is applied to Pickaxes, Axes, Hoes, and Shovels only if you remember from above. Try putting any of these tools alongside Lapis Lazuli to boost your chances of getting Fortune, or perhaps, Fortune III.

In Minecraft, Fortune on Axe gets you apples more frequently and helps you obtain more resources from wood-based blocks. Don’t lose hope if you aren’t able to get the enchantment in your first couple of attempts. Keep at it and make sure you don’t exhaust the rest of the required resources for the best results. 

That’s all about it for obtaining Fortune in Minecraft. We’ve talked about a number of approachable methodologies that you can opt for. Here’s hoping that all of this will prove to be helpful for your cause.  


Being mindful of the best enchantments in Minecraft surely sets you up for greatness in your survival adventures. If you wish to embark on a successful journey teeming with riches, you cannot sleep on the ever-brilliant Minecraft Fortune enchantment. It makes breathing a little easier when you’re short on resources and need to get back in the game pronto. Players have been able to revamp their gameplay experience just by sporting Fortune whenever they went out for a dig or two. 

We’ve covered all there is to know regarding this practical game enchantment, so you should be good to go now. Fortune is undoubtedly one of the rarer enchantments that you can find in Minecraft. As it is with real life, finding fortune is, indeed, hard. A mix of luck and effort, however, can definitely get you there, both in Minecraft and outside of it. Do let us know in the comments section if you were able to get Fortune III or any of its counterparts. 

As always, eXputer wishes you good luck and happy gaming!

Minecraft Fortune Enchantment - FAQs

What does Fortune do in Minecraft?

Fortune makes it possible to get more item drops from blocks that you mine and gather more resources than ever before.

What is Fortune in Minecraft?

Fortune in Minecraft is applied to tools like Shovel and Pickaxe to enchant them and get more drops from mined blocks.

How to get Fortune in Minecraft?

The best ways to get Fortune in Minecraft is by finding it loot chests, trading with Librarians, using the Enchanting Table, and by fishing.

What does Fortune do on a Hoe in Minecraft?

Fortune on a Hoe in Minecraft makes it capable of giving you more item drops, especially when you cut Oak Trees for obtaining apples.

Was this article helpful?

Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡

How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍

Matt Hunter

With four years of experience as a tech writer on a multitude of websites, Matt Hunter currently reports to eXputer with the latest in gaming.

Related Articles