- The Recording Academy has recently decided to introduce a new category for the best gaming soundtrack.
- There were strong contenders which included Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and Call of Duty: Vanguard.
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has received a grammy for the best soundtrack.
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has certainly made history. The game was able to secure the prestigious award at the 65th Grammy ceremony that took place on the 6th of February 2023.
The recording studio felt like it seemed essential to honor the evolution of video game soundtracks. According to the studio they said, “Like music, video games have become an integral part of our daily lives, while sound and music are increasingly important aspects of gaming.”
According to their own findings that a vast majority of millennials as well as Gen Z play video games at least once a week, hence it made sense to introduce a Grammy for the Best Score Soundtrack For Video Games/Interactive Media.
While the news of this category was first announced back in August of last year the award was given this year. The competition was stiff and it seemed impossible to speculate who would win. The nominees are as followed.
- Aliens: Fireteam Elite (composer Austin Wintory)
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök (composer Stephanie Economou)
- Call Of Duty: Vanguard (composer Bear McCreary)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (composer Richard Jacques)
- Old World (composer Christopher Tin)
While each of the nominees brought something unique to the table, however at the end Assassin’s Creed Valhalla was able to secure the infamous golden gramophone. Even though this may have been a disappointing moment for other nominees this award has certainly opened new avenues.
Composer Stephanie Economou went to the stage to receive her award. In her speech, she thanked Ubisoft for giving her this opportunity and introducing her to the rich legacy of Assassin’s Creed. She also thanked the musicians who worked behind the scenes to help make the sound score.
Stephanie Economou at the end said, “I just want to recognize all of the people who fought tirelessly to bring this category of video game music into existence,” She continues, “Thank you for acknowledging and validating the power of game music. This is truly such an honor, thank you.”
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla seemed to already be in the limelight due to the recent gameplay leak and winning this award will certainly add to the allure of the game. Did you think Assassin’s Creed Valhalla was going to win the Grammy? Do share your thoughts in the comments below.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍