You finally get home after a tiring day, sit on your PC, and fire up Apex Legends only to find out that you can’t play it. The game either won’t launch or simply crashes after a few minutes in and it bugs the hell out of you. After every failed attempt at playing the game, a windows error box pops up warning about an Apex Legends engine error.
It’s frustrating seeing errors like these stopping you from having a good time with your game. If you want to solve these errors fast so you can get back to sliding and shooting, you’re at the right place.
Before we dive deeper into the possible fixes, let’s explore what this engine error is and why you have to face it.
What is Apex Legends Engine Error?
There seem to be different types of the engine error, the following are frequent:
- First Variant: Engine Error 0X887A0006 – DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
- Second Variant: Engine Error CreateTexture2D
- Third Variant: Engine Error CreateShaderResourceView
These errors mostly appear once you launch Apex Legends and it comes to an abrupt crash. Depending on your situation, any one of these dialog boxes could pop up. For some, it’s a random occurrence and for many, it happens every time they start playing the game.
The Apex Legends engine error could occur due to any one of the following reasons:
- Your game files are corrupted
- Your graphics card’s driver isn’t up-to-date or it’s also corrupted
- The game wasn’t launched with sufficient rights
- Your overclock is unstable and crashing the game
- In-game overlays are causing a problem. e.g. steam overlay, discord overwolf, etc.
- Your anti-virus is messing with your game files detection
- The game is installed on an external storage device
- GPU cannot handle higher graphics settings
How To Fix Apex Legends Engine Error
By analyzing some of the causes of the errors, we have come up with some fixes that will surely get rid of the Apex Legend engine error. So wear your troubleshooting caps and let’s follow along with these solutions.
Verify Game Files
This process is simple enough. It Verifies that your game files aren’t corrupted or missing.
This process will be different depending on which launcher you play Apex Legends on as it’s available on both Origin and Steam.
For Players on Steam
To check and repair any damaged or missing files, simply follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Apex Legends game icon on steam and right-click on it.
- Click on the “properties” option and another window will open.
- On the left tab, go to the “local files” section.
- Here, select the “verify the integrity of game files” option.
Depending on your system and storage speed, this process can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes.
For Players on Origin
Repairing damaged or missing game files on Origin is also easy. Simply follow these steps:
- Go to your game library in the origins application and select Apex Legends from the list of games.
- Click on the “settings” icon next to the play button and a drop-down menu will open.
- Select the “repair” option from the bunch and confirm to start the file verification process.
Similar to steam’s process, this can also take anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending on your system and storage speed.
After this process, the game launchers will re-download any missing or damaged files and your game will start working again. In case the verification process didn’t find any problems with your game files, check out other fixes.
Check Out More Fixes: Error Fix Guides
Running Apex Legends with Higher Privileges
Running your game with higher privileges might fix your issue quicker than expected.
Sometimes the game needs administrative-level privileges to work properly. Failing to provide these permissions can lead to problems like Apex legends engine error.
To apply this fix permanently, follow the instructions below:
- Look for the Apex Legends shortcut created on your desktop.
- Right-click on the file and click on properties
- Now go to the “Compatibility” tab and click on the “Run this program as an administrator” option under settings.
Now your game will launch with administrative permissions and may solve the crashing and engine error.
Adding Registry Values
The engine error might also occur due to a missing registry value from the system. This can happen due to multiple reasons, one prevalent seems to be the registry value getting corrupted.
There are two ways to apply this fix.
One is opening the windows registry editor, navigating to the root, and adding the value manually. However, this is a complicated process and one wrong move can damage your operating system.
The second method to apply this fix is simpler and doesn’t require much effort. Here’s how to do it.
Right-click on your desktop, hover over the “new” option, and click on “Text Document”.
This step will create a text document on your desktop. Before proceeding further, make sure to rename the file to “Fix.reg”. This will convert the text file to a registry file.
Now, we’ll add instructions to the file.
To do that, right-click on the file and click on the “edit” option. This will open the file in text view. Add the following lines of text into the file.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
After you are done pasting the text in the file, exit the file and click the “save” option on your way out.
After saving the text to the file, all you have to do is double click on it. A dialog box will pop up prompting you to continue. Simply click on the “yes” option.
And that’s it. The fix to the registry was applied quickly and easily. Restart your computer and try playing the game again to confirm if the fix worked for you.
Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
Graphics card drivers play a crucial role in gaming performance and stability. Sometimes new graphics card updates bring useful performance tweaks and fixes for your favorite games. Hence upgrading to newer drivers can help solve Apex Legends engine error too.
This fix will be different depending on if you have an Nvidia GPU or an AMD one.
Update Nvidia Drivers
Follow the steps below to update your Nvidia graphics drivers:
- Go to the Nvidia Geforce Experience application on your PC.
- Navigate to the “Drivers” tab on top.
- Here, you’ll see a prompt about new game-ready drivers update and a download button if there are updates available. Try to click on the “check for updates” option to see if there are any updates available for your GPU.
- If updates are available, click on the download button.
- After the download is complete, select “Express Installation” to seamlessly update to newer drivers.
The process will take about 5-10 minutes and I recommend you restart your system after that. Now you are successfully using the latest drivers from Nvidia which may resolve the error.
Update AMD Drivers
Updating AMD drivers is also a simple process, just follow the steps below:
- Access the ” AMD Radeon Settings Panel” application.
- Click on the “System” tab on the top right panel.
- Now, you’ll see the updates section on the bottom left of the application.
- If you have new updates available, it will prompt you with a “New Update” message. Update to newer drivers by clicking on the “New Recommended” button and selecting “Express Upgrade”.
After a few moments, you’ll have the latest AMD graphics drivers installed. Make sure to restart after the process is complete to finalize the installation.
Remove any Overclocking Profiles
Overclocking is an art in itself. Getting more performance out of your hardware and pushing it to the max is what PCMR stands for.
Unfortunately, overclocking can sometimes lead to unforeseen problems like PC crashes and game problems. When there is no workaround, the last resort for you might be to remove any overclocking from your system.
Reverting your CPU or GPU clock speeds back to stock has also been known to fix Apex Legends Engine Error.
Before proceeding, however, I urge you to take a backup of your settings and values before reverting them back to normal. In case removing overclock doesn’t work for you, at least you’ll be able to apply your overclocks back quickly without going through trial and test again.
After trying all the major above fixes, these minor ones are worth trying to see if the engine error gets resolved.
- Lower your in-game graphics settings and enable an FPS cap to see if the crashing stops.
- Alternate between display modes i.e. Window, Full-Screen, and Borderless-Fullscreen.
- Disable any adaptive sync technologies like Nvidia’s G-Sync or AMD’s Free-Sync to see.
- Try re-installing Apex Legends from your external drive to an internal one.
- Disable any in-game overlays i.e. Discord Overwolf, Nvidia Shadowplay, or Steam Overlay to see if the problem was fixed.
- Try disabling your anti-virus temporarily to see if the issue resolves. If it does work then go to your Anti-Virus settings, navigate to folder exclusion setting, and browse to the apex legends game files. This will exclude the game files from any interference from the anti-virus.
Hopefully, you successfully resolved the Apex Legends engine error by going through the fixes above. If the problem still persists, check out Apex Legends official forums for any lead, or let us know in the comments and we’d love to get back to you.
Questions about Apex Legends Engine ErrorIs apex legend engine error caused by hardware failure?
No, the engine error is a strickly software problem that has something to do with your game files. Following these fixes are sure to help you resolve it.How do I fix error PAK in Apex Legends?
It’s a similar error to an engine error that can also prevent you from playing the game. to solve the error PAK, simply delete the corrupted file and repair the game through steam or origin respectively. If only some game files are corrupted, do I need to reinstall the whole game?
Not really. If you simply repaired your game files from the respective game launcher either steam or origin, you’ll replace the corrupted files with working ones. This will save you internet bandwidth and time.Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍
Questions about Apex Legends Engine Error
No, the engine error is a strickly software problem that has something to do with your game files. Following these fixes are sure to help you resolve it.
It’s a similar error to an engine error that can also prevent you from playing the game. to solve the error PAK, simply delete the corrupted file and repair the game through steam or origin respectively.
Not really. If you simply repaired your game files from the respective game launcher either steam or origin, you’ll replace the corrupted files with working ones. This will save you internet bandwidth and time.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍