Sports games are multi-faceted in their gameplay approach and design philosophy. What it means is that games in this genre constantly strive to spice up the format on their annual release every year. These titles let you experience one of the most realistic sports simulations with their stellar and engaging gameplay. One of which is, of course, the cult-classic soccer game, Fifa 23, which is another yearly entry in the long-running series for which we have prepared some fixes to prevent it from crashing and the anti-cheat error to stop occurring.
How To Fix FIFA 23 Crashing
FIFA 23 crashes can result from various issues, including corrupted game files and platform-related problems. We’ve compiled several solutions to address these crashes, including those related to the anti-cheat system. Follow these steps carefully to potentially resolve the issue and enjoy uninterrupted gameplay. Verify if crashes persist even during smooth gameplay to ensure a comprehensive fix for FIFA 23 crashing and anti-cheat errors.
Restart The Game Or Console
It shouldn’t come off as a surprise that the first method in order to fix the game from crashing is to go for a quick restart or two from the main home screen. It is by far the quickest option that you will have at the first chance of any game crashing or posing an issue for you. Thankfully if you’re on either of the Next-gen consoles or PC and have the game installed on an SSD, you should have no trouble loading it up to check for any errors.
- You will first need to completely shut down your system and make sure it is fully powered off.
- Close off any power circulating to it from the main output source, and just in case, remove the cord too to make sure there isn’t any excess electricity running through it.
- Give it roughly between two to three minutes so that your hardware doesn’t have any potential power in it.
- Now go ahead and just plug everything back into place again and boot up the platform.
- Head back into Fifa 23 and evaluate if the fix helped you or not so we can move on to the other solutions.
Update The Game To The Latest Version
Since Fifa 23 has several online elements within its gameplay mechanisms, you will need to proactively keep the game up-to-date with the latest version in order to run it efficiently without any crashes. Furthermore, updating it will also iron out any bugs with the game and the anti-cheat software to remove any error occurrences from it.
Checking for new versions of the game should be easy enough on the Xbox, and PlayStation platforms, as all you have to do are to check within the options of the game from either of their main hub screens. You can follow the instructions below to check for updates across each platform:
PS4 & PS5:
- Locate the Fifa 23 application on your main screen or head to the game library.
- Press the options on it from your Dualshock or Dualsense controller.
- It will open up a pop-up menu that will show you a list of options related to the game.
- For now, just select the “Check for Updates” option, after which you will be able to verify if you have the latest version of the game downloaded or not.
- Navigate towards the My Games and Apps section located somewhere on the home screen of your Xbox console, which is essentially the library.
- Scroll downwards, and you should be able to spot the setting to manage the updates of your applications and games installed on the system.
- To save you from the hassle, just select the Update All option which will automatically add any pending updates of your games to the download queue, including Fifa 23.
In most cases, the update should be automatically added to your updates but if not, just opt to check for it instead manually. Thankfully, Steam users do not have to worry about doing that, as the updates are added automatically to your downloads tab located at the bottom of your screen.
Verify The Integrity of Game Files
The most well-known solution behind any game crashing on a PC is to verify and restore any of the corrupted or deleted game files in the main directory. While downloading or playing the game, you may experience a power outage, or the game may end up disrupting fixed scenarios, and thus it ends up corrupting one of the vital files of the game that are necessary to run it without any hitches.
Follow the steps mentioned below to verify the game files via Steam:
- First of all, you will need to open up Steam by either searching it in the windows search bar or, preferably, just having it pinned under your taskbar for easy access.
- Locate the game in your library list and right-click on it.
- It will open up a small pop-up menu where you need to click on the Properties option.
- It will open up a new menu where you can modify and interact with a variety of options of the game.
- For now, just navigate into the Local Files menu, as shown in the image above.
- Here you just have to click on the Verify integrity of Games Files option to initiate the process.
- It can take upwards of 10 to 15 minutes and is mostly dependent on the size of the application.
- Once it is completed, you will be notified by the launcher if there are any missing files that are needed to be re-downloaded again. Otherwise, if everything else checks out, you won’t have to download anything and can go back to Fifa 23 to check if the crashing and anti-cheat error has resolved itself.
But if you are playing the game on the Epic Games store, then follow the steps we have mentioned below to verify the game files on that launcher:
- Launch the Epic Games Store by searching for it in your windows bar or have it pinned as discussed previously.
- Be aware that you can find the recently played games on the left side of the launcher, but those are primarily there for the Quick Launch feature, so do not select them. Instead, head into your library section on EGS.
- Now just find the Fifa 23 application here and click on the three small dots next to the title to open up the settings menu of the game.
- From the list of options, simply click on Manage, as shown in the image above.
- Here you will be presented with the option to Verify the files and select it to begin the process.
- Similarly to Steam, you will have to wait a few minutes, or depending on the size of Fifa 23, and it can take roughly 15 minutes for the process to be complete.
- If you head back into the game, confirm whether or not these procedures that we have entailed helped you in fixing the pesky crashes; if not, then continue along with the other solutions.
Rebuild The Database On PS4 Or PS5
The following method is more or less intended for PlayStation users, and it revolves around allowing the rebuild database feature to clean the RAM of the console in order to free up the system cache. It will also help boost the other functions too, such as the UI and the operating system of the console. The process is pretty simple to do and works relatively the same for both the PS4 and the PS5:
- You will first need to make sure the system is completely powered off.
- We need to basically open up the Safe Mode settings of the PS4 or PS5.
- On your console, press and hold down the power button after the initial boot-up sound to hear the 2nd one, which will indicate that it will be opening the Safe Mode menu.
- Connect the controller via USB to the console to access the settings
- Here you will be able to scroll through a few different options, such as manually being able to install software updates and even factory resetting the system too.
- For now, just select the 5th labeled option here called “Rebuild Database” to begin the process.
- The console will now restart, and you should be presented with a progress bar where the rebuilding database will take place and should only last for a couple of minutes on the PS4. If you’re on the PS5, then it should take less than a minute at max.
- Now head back into Fifa 23 and investigate if the issues have resolved themselves or not so we can carry on with the rest of the fixes.
Update the Graphics Card Drivers
The Graphics Card is the central piece of your gaming rig on a PC, and most games will run efficiently on it if the drivers are up-to-date with the latest version installed. The drivers are essentially the building blocks that allow the operating system to work in conjunction with the hardware of the system. You will need to take into consideration that new drivers will periodically release every now and then for your GPU.
The two main Graphics Card companies, AMD and Nvidia, will release new updates every so often, so keep in mind that if you have either of their graphic cards installed, then they will surely release new updates for it. It is worth mentioning that you can easily toggle to manually scan for new driver updates by opening up the control panels of both these cards with Nvidia’s GeForce Experience or AMD’s Radeon control panel.
Disable The Background Applications
It might sound jarring to an extent, but we would highly encourage you to remove and disable any of the software or applications running in the background of your PC. These may include third-party applications most often used by gamers, such as the OBS Recording software and Discord app too. They can unintentionally cause conflicts with your gaming applications and their performance.
It is done because these applications may unnecessarily consume resources as they are running in the background of your computer. It will make your CPU and RAM usage spike, which we want to avoid while playing heavy games such as Fifa 23, as it might cause it to crash due to the amount of burden on the components. To counteract this, you can close the applications from the Task Manager and permanently turn these apps off.
Run Fifa 23 As Administrator
If you have been an avid PC gamer, then you must’ve heard you used the workaround of having applications and various other software run under administrator settings. What it does is that it allows them to have complete access to the systematic components of your PC as well as the operating system. It may seem like the most unconventional method, but it is worth giving a shot to see if it lessens any chances of crashes in the game.
Simply follow the step-by-step instructions listed below in order to run Fifa 23 under the admin settings by default on your windows operating system:
- First of all, you will need to locate the main directory of Fifa 23 on your system.
- You can head straight into the folder, or you can even modify the local files of the game from the store launchers, too, which will redirect you into the directory nonetheless.
- Once here, right-click on the executable file titled “.exe” and select the Compatibility options.
- Here, you will just need to check the box which will Run This Program as Administrator, as shown in the image above.
- Don’t forget to save and apply these settings and then head back into the game. It is also reported to be a working fix for the anti-cheat error in Fifa 23, so we highly suggest trying this method out for yourself.
Reinstall The Game
Lastly, if nothing else seems to nudge you in the right direction, then our workaround for you will be to delete and redownload the game from scratch. The currently installed copy might just be experiencing the worst end of the stick with outdated or corrupted game files, so the best bet will be to reinstall it again completely. At launch right now, the game is around 40 Gigabytes, but we estimate it might grow bigger with the passage of time.
Thankfully if you have the right amount of bandwidth available, then you should really face absolutely no trouble in downloading the entire game again. We recommend doing it last once you have tried every other method we have mentioned as a last resort tactic. It will also remove any doubt whether the game was indeed corrupted or not, so we advise doing it once as the last-minute option to see if it fixes the crashes in the game.
Since the anti-cheat software comes pre-installed with Fifa 23, it will also remove that and download a fresh copy of it, thus removing any errors from it, too, if it had any in the first place.
If these fixes help you out in any way in curing the game from crashing and preventing the anti-cheat error, then be sure to let us know about it in the comments section below. The game is available now for purchase on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Origin, EGS, and Steam. As always, eXputer wishes you luck!
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍