Updating Windows is crucial, especially if you’re gaming on it. Microsoft releases tons of stability and performance enhancements in the form of Windows Updates. If you work on your PC, it might feel like a bother to restart your PC and install those Windows updates. However, performance improvement and security updates are definitely worth having. Here’s how you can update your Windows.
Update Windows In Settings
The most convenient and preferred way to update any window is using the settings app. Here’s how we can update the window by using the Settings app:
- Click on the start option present in the lower left corner.
- Now tap on the setting option, which is a gear-shaped icon.
- Tap on the Update and Security icons.
- Select the window update tab present on the left sidebar.
- Tap on the check for updates icon. If there is any new update present, it will be started to download automatically.
- Once the updates are installed, restart your device.
By doing so, you have updated your window through settings.
Windows Update Assistant
You can use two types of update assistants depending on your Windows. If you’re using Windows 10, then use Windows 10 Update Assistant, or you can use the Windows 11 Update Assistant. To update Windows by using Windows Update Assistant, make sure to follow the simple steps given below:
- Open the window update assistant download website.
- Tap on the download now option. It will install a window update assistant on your PC.
- Once the download is completed, open the downloaded file.
- Tap yes on the message that is shown on the screen.
- The window update assistant will be launched.
- Check for the updates and tap on the Update Now option.
- Choose the next option and then tap on Restart Now.
By doing so, window update assistant will install the new and latest version of Windows on your PC.
Microsoft Update Catalog
The Microsoft update Catalog is another platform to install all types of updates. Here are the ways by which we can use it:
- Open the Microsoft update Catalog in your browser.
- On this website, you can select the update you want by just entering the KB number of the update. If you are unaware of the KB number, look for easy terms like Windows 10 or Windows 11.
- Tap on the install icon present with the update you want to download.
- The new window opens, and all the updated installing links appear.
- Once the update is installed, double-tap the downloaded file to install it on your PC. You will have to extract files using file extraction software if your file has a CAB extension.
So by following the above steps, you have updated your window using the Windows Update Catalog.
You can easily download window updates by using Windows PowerShell as well, but to do that, make sure to follow the simple steps given below:
- Open the PowerShell window with admin rights.
- For setting the X execution policy, type the following command:
Set-execution policy remotely signed
- It will enable you to show all the modules that must be installed. Click A to accept all.
- Now add the following command: Install-module PSwindowsUpdate.
- Now press Y and enter.
- This will install the PowerShell Windows update package.
- Now you have to import the module. To import the module, use the following command: Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate.
- Now add the following command: Get-WindowsUpdate
- Wait for some time. After that, a list of updates will appear.
- Now type the following command:
- Install-Windows Update and press enter.
- Now type A and enter. By doing so, PowerShell will start the updating process, and after that, you can restart your PC if needed.
Windows Media Creation Tool
Windows creation tool, or Windows update tool, updates your PC to the latest version. However, do note you’ll need a USB flash drive to update your Windows from this method. Here are some steps which you can follow to upgrade your Window and PC:
- First, visit the official Microsoft website and download Windows 10 media creation tool from there.
- After downloading the media creation tool, double-click on the file to run the tool.
- Then choose to accept the option shown on the page given below.
- Now wait for some time so that the media creation tool can prepare some things, and then you can continue further.
- The What do you want to do page appears. On that page, choose Upgrade this PC.
- And then press the next button.
- Now media creation tool will install some files and check your system. This step might be time-consuming.
- Go through the license terms and then press Accept.
- You have to wait a bit for the tool to search for updates.
- The tool will review your system again and confirm you are ready to download.
- Then you will get a page that will show you all the previous choices you have made and other details of the update. Select Change What to Keep, and then you can choose the files you want to keep after the update.
- You have to choose if you want to keep personal files or apps or keep nothing during the update. After you have made a choice, press Next to continue.
- Then you have to make sure that every application which is running currently must be closed. After you are done, select the Install option.
- During installation, your system will restart several times. Make sure not to turn off your system.
After following these steps, you can update your Window to the latest version.
Benefits Of Updating Your Windows
- Updating Windows makes your system error and bug-free.
- By updating Windows, the system will have upgraded features and some new ones.
- Resources usage is improved, which results in improved PC response.
- It also improves hardware and software compatibility because, in old versions, many new applications may not be compatible.
- Advanced gaming systems and functions are also formed, and many new tools may be added by updating Windows.
Disadvantages Of Updating Your Windows
As there are many advantages of updating Windows, on the other side, it also has a few disadvantages. Some of them are given below:
- After updating Windows, some previous versions of software programs and applications may not function properly.
- Sometimes, to be eligible for an update (to Windows 11), you must upgrade your hardware components.
- If your PC isn’t powerful enough, your system may get slowed down after an update.
If you don’t update your Windows, you may become the target of malicious attacks and face errors. It depends on the current version of your Windows. If you haven’t updated for quite some time, it’ll take longer for your Windows to get updated to the latest version. After updating your Windows, some applications or programs may not apply to the system anymore, and there is also a disadvantage that updating your Windows may slow down your PC.
If you don’t update your Windows, you may become the target of malicious attacks and face errors.
It depends on the current version of your Windows. If you haven’t updated for quite some time, it’ll take longer for your Windows to get updated to the latest version.
After updating your Windows, some applications or programs may not apply to the system anymore, and there is also a disadvantage that updating your Windows may slow down your PC.
Check out more Windows guides that we’ve covered on eXputer:
- Windows Optimization Guide
- Update Your Drivers
- How To Test Your Network Connection
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Windows
- Disable Third-Party Application Overlays
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍