If you want to maximize the use of Roach in Witcher 3, then equipping her with the best saddles and saddlebags is the best way to do so. From being able to increase her speed to the amount of weight you can carry around with you, there are many perks to choosing the best gear for your horse.
Witcher 3 Best Saddles
Saddles in Witcher 3 will affect how long Roach can run without running out of stamina. Higher levels of Saddles can help you last longer in races and overall are great for escaping enemies without worrying about your horse slowing you down. With that said, here are the Witcher 3 best saddles, how to acquire them, and the effect each one offers to Geralt of Rivia.
|Name||Effect||How to Get|
|Caparison of Lament||Boosts Roach's stamina by 100 points and has additional staggering and scaring effects on enemies.||Awarded by Master Mirror as a reward for allowing him to claim Olgierd's soul during the Hearts of Stone expansion. Choose "To be as swift as the wind" when given a choice of reward.|
|Ofieri Stock Saddle||Boosts Roach's stamina by 85 points.||Win the high-stakes race against Dulla kh'Amanni in the quest "Races: Swift as the Western Winds" as part of the Hearts of Stone expansion.|
|Undvik Saddle||Boosts Roach's stamina by 75 points.||Can be bought from the Armorer in Kaer Trolde citadel as part of the free DLC Skellige Armor set.|
|Zerrikanian Saddle||Boosts Roach's stamina by 80 points.||Won by winning the horse race "For the Goddess' Glory!" as part of the Heroes' Pursuits.|
|Mastercrafted Cavalry Saddle||Boosts Roach's stamina by 75 points.||Can be found in various locations around the game world, such as the Coast of Wrecks, or purchased from a blacksmith in Lindenvale.|
|Superior Cavalry Saddle||Boosts Roach's stamina by 70 points.||Awarded for winning all three legs of the Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby after progressing in the "Get Junior" quest line.|
Caparison Of Lament
The Caparison of Lament is a standout horse saddle, unique to the Hearts of Stone expansion of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- The saddle’s design is quite remarkable, appearing to be crafted from the hide of an unknown beast.
- Upon equipping it, Geralt’s horse Roach takes on an intimidating appearance, transforming into a spectral, black horse with eyes that glow ominously.
Axii ability Delusion
The saddle possesses a range of potent abilities, making it a valuable addition to your arsenal.
- It not only boosts Roach’s stamina by a whopping 100 points but also wields a mysterious power that impacts enemies within a specified radius.
- Every few seconds, it delivers a staggering effect similar to the Axii ability Delusion.
- Enemies approaching Roach find themselves knocked off their horses, or they may react as if scorched, fleeing in panic.
- Should Roach be close by during a brawl, the saddle’s effect can momentarily stun your adversary, providing you with a golden opportunity to land the winning blows.
The process to acquire the Caparison of Lament involves dealing with O’Dimm, also known as Master Mirror, a character introduced in the Hearts of Stone expansion.
- You obtain the saddle as a reward, but at a heavy price: you must allow O’Dimm to claim Olgierd’s soul.
- When O’Dimm subsequently offers you a choice of reward, you must select “To be as swift as the wind.”
- Once these conditions are met, the Caparison of Lament is yours, ready to confer its strange powers on Roach and help you on your journey.
Ofieri Stock Saddle
Introduced in the Hearts of Stone expansion of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the Ofieri stock saddle is a piece of horse equipment that’s steeped in intrigue.
- It shares its design with another saddle, the “Ofieri saddle,” which is identical in both appearance and stats yet curiously unobtainable through standard gameplay.
- The Ofieri stock saddle is part of a wider set of Ofieri gear, including additional horse equipment such as the Ofieri saddlebags and Ofieri horse blinders.
Acquiring the Ofieri stock saddle involves proving your equestrian skills in a high-stakes race.
- You’ll receive the saddle as your hard-earned prize for outpacing Dulla kh’Amanni in the quest aptly titled “Races: Swift as the Western Winds.”
- The quest is part of the Hearts of Stone expansion and can be started by talking to the Ofieri Salesman.
- Mention to him what a fine horse he has which will cause him to challenge you in a race.
- Be careful, as, during the race, a merchant will try to distract you by throwing barrels.
- Additionally, avoid the goats near the last bridge and try to jump during the last bridge in order to stop Roach from giving up her gallop.
Among the comprehensive gear available in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the Undvik saddle is a piece of horse equipment you’ll want to take note of. The saddle is part of the free DLC Skellige Armor set, a pack of additional content released on June 3, 2015, that embellishes your gear collection and amplifies your horse’s capabilities.
To get your hands on the Undvik saddle, you’ll need to pay a visit to Kaer Trolde citadel.
- There, you’ll find an Armorer who sells the specific piece of equipment for 400 coins.
A prized piece of horse equipment in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the Zerrikanian saddle is one of the best saddles you can get your hands on. This particular saddle is a testament to Zerrikanian craftsmanship, a far-off land known for its exotic wares and fierce warriors.
The path to obtaining the Zerrikanian saddle isn’t a simple trip to a local shop but involves a thrilling competitive event.
- You must partake in the horse race “For the Goddess’ Glory!” and emerge victorious.
- It’s a challenging pursuit, but the reward is well worth the effort.
- To join the race, you need to take part in the Heroes’ Pursuits, which can be started at various locations on Ard Skellig or by speaking to Svana in Larvik, located on Hindarsfjall.
- To compete against Astrid, the last year’s winner, you’ll need to win races at Kaer Trolde, Fayrlund, and Fyresdal.
- When you’ve triumphed in these races, return to Svana and prepare for your final challenge against Astrid.
- You’ll race towards Freya’s Garden, navigating sharp turns and shortcuts, but fret not; you can repeat the race until you secure victory.
- Upon winning, Svana will present you with the Zerrikanian saddle, a reward that significantly boosts Roach’s stamina, thus making your journey across the expansive world faster and more efficient.
Mastercrafted Cavalry Saddle
Although a really useful piece, you may find it hard to encounter the Mastercrafted Cavalry Saddle.
To lay hands on the Mastercrafted Cavalry Saddle, there are two main avenues available.
- One way is through old-fashioned treasure hunting: the saddle can be found as part of the loot scattered across the world.
- One location known to house such loot is the Coast of Wrecks.
- However, it’s vital to remember that loot availability is influenced by your progression and decisions throughout The Witcher 3, meaning you might not find it in those areas.
- The other method to acquire the saddle is by purchasing it from a blacksmith.
- While the blacksmith with the saddle in their inventory might vary, one known vendor resides in Lindenvale.
- To increase your chances, it’s advised to engage with different blacksmiths to see if they have the piece of finely-crafted equipment for sale.
Superior Cavalry Saddle
The Superior Cavalry Saddle stands as a prized piece of horse equipment that is not only aesthetically pleasing but practically significant too.
Acquiring such a masterpiece of a saddle is an adventure in itself.
- It is awarded as a prize for winning all three legs of the Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby, a prestigious horse race steeped in tradition and challenge.
- The race becomes available following considerable progress in the “Get Junior” quest line.
- The race’s initiation is announced by a crier in Hierarch Square, and picking up an invitation to the Memorial Derby sets the quest in motion.
- At the Vegelbud Residence, upon paying an entry fee of 100 coins, you are allowed to race.
- Be mindful that the races are long, and Roach’s stamina management is crucial to outpace your competitors.
- After winning each of the first two races, you receive a series of rewards, including experience points and coins.
- But the true treasure lies in winning the third race against Luc Vegelbud, in a challenging contest conducted under persistent rain.
- Victory here grants you the Superior Cavalry Saddle, a fitting reward for your efforts.
Witcher 3 Best Saddlebags
Saddlebags are slightly different from Saddles as they do not help out Roach as much as they help you. With better Saddlebags, you can increase the amount of weight that you can carry around before getting too heavy. With that said, here are the Witcher 3 best saddlebags showcased along with the effect and how to get each one of them.
|Name||Effect||How to Acquire|
|Beauclair Saddlebags||Increase inventory weight by +110||Found as loot across the Toussaint region, purchased from the Armorer at the Tourney Grounds, or obtained as a reward at an event to the west of Mont Crane Castle|
|Undvik Saddlebags||Increase inventory weight by +100||Purchased from the armorer in Kaer Trolde Citadel|
|Zerrikanian Saddlebags||Increase inventory weight by +100||Purchased from the merchant in Putrid Grove or Éibhear Hattori, or won as a reward for winning "The Heroes' Pursuits: Fayrlund"|
|Rugged Saddlebags||Increase inventory weight by +70||Won as a reward in the Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby, purchased from vendors in Hierarch Square, Oreton, Larvik, Claywich, or Crow's Perch|
|Nilfgaardian Saddlebags||Increase inventory weight by +70||Purchased from the Quartermaster at Crow's Perch|
The Beauclair Saddlebags, introduced in the Blood and Wine expansion, are an indispensable piece of horse equipment. The saddlebags stand out with their aesthetic design, reflecting the artistic flair of Toussaint, the region they are closely associated with.
|Effects||+110 Maximum Inventory Weight|
Acquiring the Beauclair Saddlebags involves exploration and engagement with the vibrant world of Toussaint.
- They can be found as loot across the region, hidden in chests, or dropped by defeated enemies.
- The exact location of these saddlebags may vary depending on numerous in-game factors.
- If the thrill of treasure hunting isn’t your preference, or you simply wish to secure these useful saddlebags as quickly as possible, there are merchants ready to cater to your needs.
- The Armorer at the Tourney Grounds, a hub of knighthood and chivalry in Toussaint, has the saddlebags for sale.
- There’s also an opportunity to receive the saddlebags as a free reward at a specific event, where a Knight Errant in Distress is located to the west of Mont Crane Castle.
Up next for The Witcher 3 best saddlebags, the Undvik Saddlebags prove to be an incredibly useful item. Introduced as part of the free Skellige Armor set DLC on June 3, 2015, the Undvik Saddlebags depict the rich tradition and cultural nuances of the Skellige Isles.
|Effects||+100 Maximum Inventory Weight|
- An intriguing characteristic of the Undvik Saddlebags is their advantage in weight over the Zerrikanian saddlebags.
- Even though both saddlebags offer the same inventory capacity boost, the Undvik variant is lighter.
The armorer in Kaer Trolde Citadel offers these saddlebags for purchase. It provides an easy option to acquire these saddlebags without having to explore far and wide or complete complex quests.
The Zerrikanian Saddlebags are a notable piece of horse equipment in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. A product of the exotic lands of Zerrikania, they reflect the unique culture and craftsmanship of their origin.
|Effects||+100 Maximum Inventory Weight|
The Zerrikanian Saddlebags can be obtained in two ways.
- The first is through purchasing them from specific merchants in The Witcher 3.
- You can visit the merchant in Putrid Grove or consult with Éibhear Hattori, a master craftsman, who has them on offer.
- This provides an accessible route for players to acquire the saddlebags without completing specific challenges.
However, if you fancy a bit of competition, the saddlebags can also be won as a prize.
- They serve as a reward for winning “The Heroes’ Pursuits: Fayrlund,” one of the Witcher 3’s secondary quests involving a thrilling horse race.
- Positioned east-northeast of Fayrlund and far south of the Rannvaig signpost, a group prepares to race.
- Engage with the race master, and he will organize the race for you.
- It’s a simple, short race that requires careful navigation and speedy riding to emerge victorious.
- Winning first place fetches you not only 25 XP and 50 coin, but also the coveted Zerrikanian Saddlebags.
The Rugged Saddlebags in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a notable piece of horse equipment designed to withstand the rugged wilderness that Geralt traverses in his journey.
|Effects||+70 Maximum Inventory Weight|
Getting hold of the Rugged Saddlebags involves multiple methods.
- One method involves participating in the Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby, a secondary quest.
- The challenging horse racing event can be joined after completing the major part of the ‘Get Junior’ quest.
- In Hierarch Square, an announcer’s call signals the start of the race.
- A 100 coin entry fee is required, and races are quite long, testing Roach’s stamina to the limit.
- Success in the second race earns you the Rugged Saddlebags.
Alternatively, these saddlebags can be purchased from various vendors across the expansive map.
- In Hierarch Square, an armorer can sell you one.
- A merchant in Oreton also stocks these sturdy saddlebags.
- Larvik and Claywich, once freed from a Bandit’s Camp on the island to the east, have merchants who offer these saddlebags for sale.
- Furthermore, Yoana in Crow’s Perch is another vendor where you can find these saddlebags.
The Nilfgaardian Saddlebags, a component of the Nilfgaardian Armor set, provide a crucial upgrade in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The horse equipment came as part of a free DLC released for The Witcher 3 on June 3, 2015.
|Effects||+70 Maximum Inventory Weight|
Acquiring these saddlebags requires a visit to the Quartermaster at Crow’s Perch, a location that you might already be familiar with from the main storyline.
- The Quartermaster is the vendor for these saddlebags, and purchasing from him ensures that you obtain an original Nilfgaardian equipment piece.
With that, you know about the Witcher 3 best saddles and saddlebags that you can use to increase your inventory space as well as Roach’s stamina. Both upgrades will make it much easier for you to navigate the world of The Witcher and enjoy all sorts of adventures!
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍