- Sledgehammer Games once planned to brew an Uncharted-style Call of Duty cinematic title. It was going to be a dark and gritty experience in third-person set in Cambodia.
- A short 15-minute demo was also created for the project, but things did not proceed further with the game. It was shelved away as the devs chose to develop Call of Duty: World War 2.
- Some work had allegedly begun on Advanced Warfare 2, and it also had a demo and prototype but was soon canned.
- The devs are currently working on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It is slated to release on November 10 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, and PC.
Sledgehammer Games once explored a different genre for the Call of Duty franchise and wanted to brew more of a cinematic-esque sort of entry. The former Sledgehammer Games dev Bret Robbins recently appeared in an interview with MinnMax on YouTube. He iterated that the studio wanted to explore an Uncharted-styled COD title.
It was sort of like a third person, almost like an Uncharted meets Call of Duty idea, and we did a prototype for it and we made a demo. Um yeah, it was cool. It was fun. I think someone should go and make that game,” said Bret Robbins.
Bret defined the Uncharted-styled COD game as a dark experience in third-person set in Cambodia. Unfortunately, things did not pan out further after the internal demo. The dev team did not develop anything further than a 15-minute playable demo, and everyone quite liked it.
Yeah, that was the idea; it was going to be pretty gritty, you know, kind of a more brutal third-person war experience, but you know, we didn’t get that far with it, honestly. Like, we had the demo, but we didn’t really even go so far as to kind of map out what the whole game was going to be; it was, uh, an experiment.”
Call of Duty team soon moved on to the other titles in the series, and the prospect was shelved away to collect layers of dust. However, the former COD developer is still interested in an uncharted-styled cinematic entry in the IP.
- Nintendo’s 10-Year Deal With Microsoft May Cover More Activision Games Than Just Call Of Duty.
- Shocker: Sledgehammer Games is Developing a New Call of Duty Title.
- Legacy Call of Duty Games Dominate Xbox Store’s Best Sellers List After Server Fixes.
Previously, the Sledgehammer Games co-founder Michael Condrey shed more details on the project when he worked at the studio. Bret Robbins also talked about Advanced Warfare 2 in the interview. Some work had allegedly begun on the project but was soon canned. The sequel to the highly popular entry never surpassed the steps after the demo and prototype and ended up forgotten like the other cinematic title.
COD: War World 2 eventually became the focus of Sledgehammer Games, as the devs found it to be a better choice. All in all, the current focus of the team is on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It is slated to release on November 10 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, and PC.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍