- Mortal Kombat 1 will not have cross-play functionality at launch, restricting players to the platforms for which they have bought the game.
- The official Twitter account has confirmed that the team is hard at work to add the feature in a post-launch update.
- MK1 has been subject to a rather unusual streak of leaks, with multiple significant pieces of information surfacing online prior to its launch.
Mortal Kombat 1 will not feature crossplay functionality at launch. This news comes directly from the official Twitter account, where a developer revealed that the feature is in the works, stating, “We are hard at work at implementing the feature into the game and it will be coming post-launch.”
Launch is just around the corner and we can’t wait for everyone to sink their teeth into #MK1. Regarding Kross-Play, it will not be available at launch, but know we are hard at work at implementing the feature into the game and it will be koming post launch. pic.twitter.com/M8Kvi4QkMe
— Mortal Kombat 1 (@MortalKombat) September 12, 2023
Unfortunately, this means that players on each of the platforms will be caged in online matchmaking until the feature is implemented. The main drawback of this restriction is that players might face added delays when looking for matches, especially on platforms where the install base is expected to be low. For example, MK1 players on the Nintendo Switch might face prolonged wait times in comparison to other platform users.
Some players have voiced their concerns about the launch of Mortal Kombat 1 without crossplay. They argue that one of the main drawbacks of MK11 on PC was not having access to a wider pool of players for matchmaking. While the upcoming entry may be receiving the feature in a patch after launch, the initial down phase appears to pose a problem for some.
One of the biggest drawbacks of mk11 PC was not having access to a wider pool of players, I honestly don’t know how they can justify launching without cross play
— BDog (@bailey_gnar) September 12, 2023
NetherRealm’s confirmation regarding MK1 receiving crossplay in the future is reassuring. However, it doesn’t alleviate the immediate obstacles that players on all platforms will face. At the time, there is no confirmation on the release date of this post-launch update. Therefore, we advise players to plan their purchases in order to get the most value out of the game.
- Players Are Not Happy Over How Van Damme Looks In Mortal Kombat 1
- Mortal Kombat 1 Story Mode Leaks As 3 Hours Of Gameplay Surfaces Online
- The Entire Mortal Kombat 1 Roster Has Seemingly Leaked Online
- Mortal Kombat 1 Trophy List Revealed Ahead Of Launch
Elsewhere, MK1 has been subject to a rather impressive streak of leaks, ever since its single-player mode was leaked via Brazilian retailers. Within the last week, the game’s entire roster in addition to three hours of story gameplay surfaced online. Furthermore, its trophy list was revealed ahead of the launch as well. Beyond the leaks, players appear to have some grievances with the appearance of Van Damme as well.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍