Nintendo 64 Online Already Having Problems on Switch
From input lag to FPS issues, Nintendo's new service has had a rocky start
Nintendo recently unveiled their Nintendo Online Expansion pack service that offers more features to the Nintendo Online experience. This included virtual emulation on the Nintendo Switch not only for the Nintendo 64 but also the SEGA Genesis. The service, which is priced at $49.99, has garnered a lot of flak from gamers all around, with many advocating in the favor of free emulators that are available on PC, Mobile and various other platforms.
The fiasco hasn’t ended there however, because now that people are getting their hands on the N64 emulation on Switch. It turns out it isn’t actually as perfect as people thought it would be. Many users have reported issues like Input Lag, Frame drops, sound delay and texture issues. Following is a general list of the issues that players have been facing.
- Input lag ranging from “slightly noticeable” to “I can’t play Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 like this”.
- Bizarre button layout that essentially reverses the placement of A and B, and has weird C-Button placement above them.
- Framerate issues and more input lag hindering games like Yoshi’s Island and Star Fox 64.
- Sound delay in addition to input lag, most reports of this happening are related to Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64.
- Texture issues in Mario Kart 64.
- Controller Pack error in certain games (Winback, Mario Kart 64) since they didn’t emulate any version of it.
- Music issues where the tracks sound sped up or garbled.
Considering the heavy $49.99 price point, people are understandably angry at Nintendo. Most of these issues don’t even exist on a lot of free emulators today and you can usually have a trouble free experience with emulating these games on a PC or smartphone so its almost kind of embarrassing for Nintendo to make a mistake like this.
Just know that you probably know who’s to blame when your next favorite classic ROM site gets shut down.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍