Final Fantasy XIV is an award-winning MMORPG developed by Square Enix. It was the fourteenth entry in the Final Fantasy series, and it continues to hold its popularity even after all these years. However, A lot of players have reported encountering the FFXIV Error 2002; this error prevents players from joining the game lobby.
Below, we have compiled 10 proven and effective methods on how to solve Final Fantasy XIV’s Error 2002. Without further ado, let’s get right into it.
Restart the router
First, you should try restarting your router. This will flush the DNS and clear temp data, which might be causing the issue. Power off your router and unplug it. Wait for about 1 minute before plugging it back in. Then press the power button to restart the router.
Related Guides: How To Completely Stop Valorant From Crashing
Allow FFXIV Through PC and Router’s Firewall
FFXIV’s Error 2002 can sometimes occur due to Windows and router’s firewall blocking the game’s internet connectivity.
- Type Defender Firewall in the Start Menu’s search box and select Window’s Defender Firewall from the best match option.
- Click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall in the sidebar on the left side of the pop-up window.
- A list of Installed programs will show up; mark the checkbox for FFXIV’s main executable.
- Press OK to save any changes and proceed to Restart your PC.
After doing these steps, run the game and see if the error still exists. If it does, then continue the following steps to disable the router’s firewall.
- Access your PC’s router settings. This can be done by entering your default gateway IP Address in your Internet browser’s address bar.
- To find your default gateway IP, open the Command Prompt and type in the command “ipconfig /all“. Press Enter. A list of different settings and IP addresses will be shown. Copy the IP Address from the Default Gateway field and enter the IP Address in your web browser’s address bar.
- Enter your router credentials. You can find these written on your router. You can also contact your ISP to get the username and password for your router
- .Look for the Firewall option in the settings menu. Turn off the ‘Firewall’ option and save changes.
Restart your router and PC for the changes to take effect.
Exclusion of FFXIV from Anti-Virus Security
Your third-party anti-virus software could also be responsible for FFXIV’s Error 2002. Sometimes the anti-virus software can mistake game files for malicious files. You have to make sure that Final Fantasy XIV is allowed through your anti-virus security in the anti-virus’ security settings.
Alternatively, you can also uninstall the anti-virus completely. Although it is not recommended, it might help solve the Error 2002. Follow these steps to uninstall your anti-virus software.
- Press “Windows key + I” on the keyboard to open the run box and search for “appwiz.cpl”.
- Now right-click on the “Antivirus” software and click on “Uninstall”.
After uninstalling your anti-virus software, run the game and see if you still encounter the error 2002.
WTFast is a software that can improve your latency in certain games. But in the case of FFXIV, WTFast can actually be the cause of Error 2002. Many players have reported that uninstalling WTFast can fix this error. To uninstall WTFast follow these steps.
- Log in with an admin account to make sure that the uninstall goes smoothly.
- Type control panel in the search box and select the Control Panel from the best match.
- Click on Uninstall a Program option under Programs.
- Right-click WTFast, and select Uninstall. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete this uninstallation.
Restart your computer and run the game to see if the error persists.
Switching the Data Center
Sometimes the Data Center that is being used by the game might be down, which can cause FFXIV’s Error 2002. This can be fixed by switching the Data Center.
- Launch FFXIV and select “Data Center selection menu” in the settings.
- Change it to any other Data Center besides your current one.
- Login to the game again and see if you still encounter Error 2002.
- If the error no longer occurs, logout of the Data Center and change it to the previous Data Center.
Connecting to the Internet with Ethernet cable
For some users, connecting to the internet directly through an Ethernet cable fixed the FFXIV Error 2002. Although it is a very simple method, we highly recommend connecting to the internet through an Ethernet Cable because connecting through Wi-Fi can also be a cause of this error.
Restart Windows Update Services
- Type Services in the Start Menu Search box. When the result appears, click on Services from the best match option.
- On the Services Window, Scroll down through the list of services and find Windows Update.
- Right-click on Windows update and click on Restart.
Flush the DNS Cache
- Open the Start Menu and search for cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt option and click Run as administrator option in the context menu.
- Type in this command: ipconfig/flushdns and press Enter.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Reset Network Adapter
Some players have been able to fix FFXIV’s Error 2002 by resetting their Network Adapter. You can reset your network adapter through the Network reset option in the System settings.
- Open the Windows Start Menu and type network reset.
- Click on Network Reset from the best match option.
- Click on the Reset now button.
- Wait for your PC to restart.
Add Console to DMZ
DMZ is a distinct zone in your router. You can use DMZ to place your game consoles on your home network, which will allow them to bypass firewall filtering and give them full access to the internet. Adding your console’s IP address to DMZ can also help you fix the FFXIV Error 2002. To Enable DMZ for your console, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Access your router settings by entering the default gateway address in your internet browser’s address bar.
- Open the Settings menu of the router.
- Find the DMZ option in the Advanced Settings.
- Type in the Static IP Address that is assigned to the console in the box. Then click the OK button.
Restart your internet router and check if the FFXIV Error 2002 still persists.
Summary of FFXIV Error 2002
We hope that by following this guide you will be able to fix FFXIV’s Error 2002. These 10 methods are proven and effective. Please note that the FFXIV Error 2002 does not always occur because of a problem on the player’s end as Final Fantasy XIV’s servers undergo maintenance quite often.
For a similar read, check out our guide to fix Apex Legends’ Infinite Loading Screen.