For several previous Mortal Kombat games, Hanzo Hasashi has been the real character behind Scorpion, but he no longer has that role in the recent Mortal Kombat 1. After rebooting the timeline, Kuai Liang, the original Sub-Zero in MK9, MKX, and MK11, has now become the new Scorpion in MK1. And while Hanzo Hasashi doesn’t appear in the title’s campaign mode, NetherRealm Studios has left some easter eggs for his character backstory.
Hanzo Hasashi’s Origins In Mortal Kombat 1
The cutscene from Smoke’s Tower Ending in Mortal Kombat 1 shows that Hanzo Hasashi is now a young boy who trains as part of the Shira Ryu clan under Smoke and Kuai Liang, the new Scorpion.
As mentioned, Hanzo Hasashi has famously owned the role of Scorpion throughout the Mortal Kombat franchise, but the recent MK1 campaign neither shows him nor his clan, the Shira Ryu, in the story. Furthermore, Kuai Liang, the previous Sub Zero, has now become the new Scorpion, leading the Lin Kuei clan.
However, you can witness Hanzo’s new origins and backstory after completing Smoke’s Klassic Tower. Towers in Mortal Kombat 1 are a series of challenges in which you need to win consecutive fights, including the boss fight duo, Shang Tsung and Quan Chi, in the end.
Upon completing Smoke’s tower, a cutscene will appear detailing events in the following order:
- Kuai Liang (Scorpion) and Smoke have founded a new clan, the Shira Ryu, with the help of Harumi Shirai, Scorpion’s close friend.
- One night, a desperate young boy named Hanzo Hasashi suddenly attacked Smoke near Harumi’s Compound but ultimately failed.
- Seeing his condition, Smoke brought Hanzo to Kuai Liang, who accepted him into the Shira Ryu and made Hanzo the clan’s first initiate.
So far, this Tower Ending is the only part of Mortal Kombat 1 that mentions Hanzo Hasashi in any way, but it does solidify that he will likely be returning to future MK games.
How To Get Smoke’s Tower Ending
To get to Smoke’s Tower ending cutscene and see Hanzo’s first appearance post-reboot, you must first complete his entire Klassic Tower. There are five types of Towers in Mortal Kombat 1, but you must choose between the Novice, Warrior, and Champion options since they’re the only ones with Tower Endings.
Once you’ve chosen the Tower you want to complete, pick Smoke as your main character and anyone else as your Kameo Fighter. I’d personally recommend going for Cyrax as a Kameo because of his potent long-range attacks and decent damage output.
- You can choose the difficulty setting for every Klassic Tower, and higher difficulty yields better rewards, including higher XP from each fight.
- The characters you’ll fight will be random except for the last 2 matches, where the second last fight is a mirror match, and the final battle is Shang Tsung and Quan Chi.
That wraps up my brief guide on Hanzo Hasashi’s latest backstory in Mortal Kombat 1, detailing his new age, position, and potential for future MK titles. Over the past, Hanzo had undergone great character development, and giving him a clean slate now allows his story to have a new and refreshing take. For some insight, you can see how the Reddit Community in this Kuai Liang being the new Scorpion in MK1 post feels, with a much different mindset and attitude.
Be sure to check out this guide on Homelander in Mortal Kombat 1, learning about the DLC character’s release date and potential playstyle. For current in-game content, here’s a guide on how to unlock Scorpion’s Second Fatality in MK1. And if you’re interested in puzzle-based content instead, consider reading up on how to solve the ERTECA AOSCH, which is a Klue you can attempt to complete in Invasion Mode.
- Mortal Kombat 1: All Characters
- Mortal Kombat 1: Will It Have Friendship
- Mortal Kombat 1: Flipping Out Klue
- Mortal Kombat 1: How To Unlock Fatalities?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍