- Cyberpunk 2077’s release back in 2020 was far from ideal, but the first-person RPG has picked itself up from the ground ever since and made efforts to mitigate the disaster it once was. In 2023, the game is actually enjoyable to a decent extent.
- Developer CD Projekt Red — the famed studio behind the work of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — teased an expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 called Phantom Liberty in September 2022 and made its release official at the Xbox Games Showcase this year.
- Although we’re still a week or so away from the expansion’s launch, the first hour of its gameplay has seemingly leaked online, showcasing a specific quest and its subsequent progression.
Cyberpunk 2077 is making headlines again, but thankfully, not for the same reasons as the ones back in late 2020, which was the time of its official release. Its upcoming expansion DLC called Phantom Liberty, which is seemingly looking quite promising, has been leaked online in recent times. A sub-one and a half hour gameplay video has been uploaded on YouTube, and it sees the protagonist completing quests.
Warning: It’s strictly spoiler territory from here on out. If you’d like to jump into Phantom Liberty blindly on September 26, we suggest skipping past the leaked video.
The footage showcases the opening sequence of Phantom Liberty, and a number of different jobs, namely Dog Eat Dog, Hole in the Sky, and Spider and the Fly can be observed on the right side as the gameplay forwards the story progression. The leaked footage does not let one put their finger on the visual capacity of Phantom Liberty, but as per earlier reports, those aren’t going to disappoint anyway.
- CDPR Lead Condemns Gamers For Comparing Starfield With Cyberpunk 2077
- CDPR To Fix The Witcher 3’s Next-Gen Issues In The Near Future
- Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty Is Rumored To Be At The Xbox Showcase
From the looks of the expansion and coming from the developer itself, Phantom Liberty overhauls Cyberpunk 2077 entirely. Pawel Sasko, the Quest Designer for CPDR’s first-person shooter, had the following to say in an interview regarding the claim in question.
All the core, main systems of the game have been redone or updated in a major way. The biggest ones are the perks and skill trees, which have been rebuilt completely, and the next one is we’ve added vehicle combat which enables new car chases. We’ve also redone the loop and whole progression of the game; the difficulty curve is different, the tiers and drops of loot is different, the archetypes of enemies has been redone for more variety. Those are the core things that we’ve changed.”
Moreover, in case you’ve been wondering why Phantom Liberty will serve to be the first and last expansion for Cyberpunk 2077, an explanation for that has also surfaced, to a certain extent though. Surprisingly, this otherwise surprising decision is influenced technically and doesn’t derive itself from other parameters, such as wanting to end the mainline story or lack of ambition.
The decision has already been made – as we’ve announced, we’re not going to make a 2nd or 3rd expansion; this is the only expansion for the game; it has nothing to do with how satisfied we are with sales; rather, it’s a technical decision,” said the CD Projekt Red SVP of Business Development, Michał Nowakowski.
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty is scheduled to come out on September 26, 2023, for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, and PC.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍