Alan Wake 2 is quite an intricate game with many mechanics which can often get confusing. It also offers many collectibles and has certain mechanics that are worth leveraging. By applying the Alan Wake 2 best tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make the most of your run.
We’ve summarized all the best tips for you below:
|Tip and Tricks||What It Offers|
|Return To Older Areas||Go back to areas visited before, to collect items that might've been missed|
|Collect The Maps||Collect maps to reveal hidden collectibles and to aid navigation|
|Don’t Hoard||Avoid hoarding resources since they are generated based on what you already possess|
|Create Manual Save Files||To avoid significant autosave gaps use Manual Saves in the Break Room to bridge them|
|Be Careful While Upgrading||To obtain upgrades, collect Manuscript Fragments for Saga and Words of Power for Alan Wake|
|Clues At Bottom Left||Symbols at the bottom left of the side screen give tips on what to do next and help locating connectibles|
|Use The Street Lamps||The points where street lights shine light down are safe from enemies|
|False Enemies||Not all shadows are hostile, shine the flashlight to make some vanish while saving up the battery|
|Use The Crime Board Often||Regularly checking the Case Board is essential for tracking progress and staying focused|
|Inventory Upgrades||Expand your inventory by finding upgrades throughout the game and use the Shoebox to manage it|
1. Return To Older AreasThe thing with many non-open-world games is that, usually, you cannot go back to the older areas. That means if you miss some sort of collectible or upgrade, you often can’t get back to it unless you have an old save file. Luckily, in Alan Wake 2, that is not the case.
- As you progress through Alan Wake 2, you will unlock more areas.
- But you will also get the option to go back to these areas at any time by walking up to your car.
Therefore, don’t worry about collecting every single item in an area, as you’ll get the chance to come back later (before the point of no return).
- Additionally, Alan Wake 2 makes it easier later down the road when you can freely switch between Alan and Saga.
2. Collect The MapsWhenever you visit a new area, you won’t immediately have its map available. Although it can be tedious to hunt for the map, ensure that you collect the map of every place you visit as they sometimes tend to show hidden collectibles or areas and overall make it easy to navigate through the regions.
- Usually, the maps can be found pinned up on boards.
- You can completely miss the map of every single area you visit if you don’t go out of your way to collect them.
3. Don’t HoardAlthough Alan Wake 2 is a survival-styled game, it is better if you don’t hoard all of your resources. That is because many resources you’ll find in different crates or stashes will be randomly generated based on what you already have.
- If you already have a good amount of ammo for a particular gun, you likely won’t receive it in the next crate you open up.
- That is why ensure you use anything that is helpful, as you’ll eventually get more of it later down the road with ease.
4. Create Manual Save FilesAlthough Alan Wake 2 has its own autosave option, there are times when there is a huge space between two significant autosave checkpoints. In such cases, you need to utilize the manual save option in Alan Wake 2.
- Manual saves can only be created in Break Rooms.
- The first one gets unlocked almost an hour into Alan Wake 2.
- These Break Rooms because extremely handy in situations where you need to defeat an annoying set of enemies.
- After defeating them, ensure you create a save to avoid the hassle.
To learn more about this, read my guide on how to do manual save in Alan Wake 2.
5. Be Careful While UpgradingWhenever there is a sort of skill tree or any set of upgrades, our first desire is to be able to unlock everything that the upgrades offer eventually. Unfortunately, like many survival games, you cannot purchase every single weapon or ability upgrade in Alan Wake 2.
- To get upgrades, you need to get Manuscript Fragments for Saga and Words of Power for Alan Wake.
- These require you to go into obscure areas in Alan Wake 2.
- But once you get enough of them, ensure you only spend them on upgrades that actually matter to you.
6. Clues At Bottom LeftThere are many indicators that you need to be mindful of in Alan Wake 2. One of the more useful ones is the different symbols that appear on the bottom left side of the screen. These symbols represent different things, such as tips on what to do next or even the location of nearby collectibles. Here is the meaning of a few of the symbols:
- Egg-like stones represent Alex Casey’s Lunchboxes nearby.
- Twin Triangle symbols mean nearby Cult Stashes.
- Radio Noises mean a Nursery Rhyme Puzzle is within the vicinity.
- Reflective Yellow Arrows point towards Words of Power.
- Spirally circle tends to mean you need to Profile someone to move on.
- Report file means that you need to visit the Case Board.
7. Use The Street LampsA lot of areas in Alan Wake 2 will tend to have street lamps that shine light down.
- Alan Wake 2 does earlier tell you that these are points where you are safe from the enemies and can also heal for a bit.
- But what you might notice is that you’ll usually be able to spot these lit-up areas before actual enemies.
- My recommendation is first to enter that area and assess the situation of the enemies rather than directly skipping past the safe area.
- That way, you’ll be able to get enough health for a new encounter and also have a good idea of the enemies’ pattern.
8. False Enemies
In the Dark Place, not all shadowy figures are hostile or solid. As Alan, when these adversaries emerge, approach cautiously and shine your flashlight briefly on them.
- Many will vanish without depleting your battery.
- However, some might attack or try to grab you and must be dealt with like regular opponents.
- When surrounded by numerous shadows, use a Hand Flare to quickly disperse them, allowing you to focus on genuine threats.
9. Use The Crime Board OftenSaga Anderson’s journey in Alan Wake 2 is guided by the Case Board, a tool located in the Mind Place for monitoring missions. From the onset, starting with the Alan Wake 2 incident, this feature becomes integral. As you gather relevant data, ranging from insights about the Dark Place updates on investigations to tracking side missions and items, it can be logged onto the Case Board, unlocking further explorative possibilities.
Make sure you visit this board often, as it gives you a good perspective of the progress and keeps you aligned with your objectives.
10. Inventory UpgradesThere are many types of upgrades in Alan Wake 2. But the most important one is the inventory upgrades. There are a few ways to get more inventory in Alan Wake 2, by collecting the upgrades spread across Alan Wake 2. But, what you should also utilize is the Shoebox in the Break Rooms to clear up your inventory while you look for the mentioned upgrades.
With that, you know all about the Alan Wake 2 best tips and tricks. There are many tricks to make your life easier in Alan Wake 2. But of course, as you play, you’ll find your own mini hacks to make life easier in the mysterious world of Alan Wake 2. If you’re just getting started, check out my guide on the best difficulty for the smoothest experience.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍