Seemingly, Final Fantasy XIV’s issue of being unable to complete the version check  has persisted for as long as the game itself. This error in FFXIV has constantly plagued players every time the game gets an update. The error refuses to let anyone go past the launcher and appears right after an update drops. But don’t fret: It’s surprisingly easy to get past this issue.
Why Is FFXIV Unable To Complete Version Check?
The error can occur before or after you update FFXIV and is generally limited exclusively to those two scenarios. It manifests a dialogue box when you open the launcher and keeps you from engaging in any interaction with the game. The dialog reads, “Unable to Complete Version Check. .”
The error generally occurs due to one of the two following reasons:
- It could happen due to a bug in the game’s updation process. The game uses a single line of text to check whether or not you are on the latest version. Sometimes, it forgets to update that line when you are done updating the game.
- Some players have also reported their carriers or DNS as being the cause. This could be due to some mistranslation from your Internet Protocols or your particular carrier acting up.
Solve FFXIV’s Unable to Complete Version Check Error
Either of the aforesaid reasons could cause the error. So, the best way to pinpoint the issue would be for you to go through with the following solutions in order and check what fixes the problem for you. Thankfully, the solutions are all pretty standard and can be performed in little to no time.
Manually Change FFXIV’s Boot File
If the error were caused by your launcher not updating that single line of code, this solution would fix the issue. Here, we will manually update the line that checks for the game version on boot. This will make it forcibly version check and let you in-game. Before we begin, close your launcher; Otherwise, this quick fix might not work for you. If you are unsure, check your hidden tray icons for the launcher. Once done, follow these steps to get going:
- Open your File Explorer.
- Go to your Address Bar and paste this address: ‘Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV – A Realm Reborn\.’
- Once inside the folder, right-click on ‘FFXIV_BOOT.cfg’ and click on ‘Open With’ and then choose Notepad to open the file.
- Once the file is open, press ‘Ctrl + F’ and search for ‘BootVersionCheckMode.’
- Change the 0 in front of the searched setting to 1.
- When done, press ‘Ctrl + S’ to save the applied changes.
This should make the launcher correctly check for the game version, allowing you to boot.
Switch To A Public DNS
If removing the boot check doesn’t kill the Unable to Complete version check error. The second most preferable solution is to switch your DNS to a public and freely accessible one. The reason why this has worked for Players is not precisely known. But it could range from simple mistranslations from your current DNS or an unreliable server connection. While there are multiple Public DNS servers available, our advice would be to pick one of the following:
- Google Public DNS (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206)
- OpenDNS (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168).
Follow the following steps to change your DNS Server:
- Search for ‘Network Adapter’ in your taskbar and press Enter.
- Scroll to the bottom and click ‘More Network Adapter Options.’
- Right-Click on the connection you are using, and click on Properties.
- Double-Click on Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Select Use the following DNS server and enter your preferred IPs.
- Click Ok to apply the changes.
Reopen your game launcher to check if the error has gone away. While at it, you might want to Test your Network Connection just to be extra sure.
Use A VPN For The Version Check Fail
If changing your DNS server doesn’t work, many players have reported that using any VPN before launching the game could also fix the issue. The reason is that if the redirecting servers from your ISP are not working correctly, it lets you bypass this restriction by appearing as if you are connecting from a completely different location. Following is a list of a few VPNs that you can try out:
Once you are done installing a VPN, choose JPY as your server location and rerun the launcher to see if the problem has been fixed. Do note that you would not need to be connected to the VPN server at all times; You are free to turn it off once you are in-game.
Turn Off Windows Firewall
One of the more niche fixes is to turn off your Windows Firewall. Microsoft‘s implementation of it in Windows is a bit shaky. Sometimes, it can act up and flag secure server IPs as well. So, it would be a good idea to turn it off to see if that fixes the issue. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Search for ‘Firewall and Network Protection’ in your taskbar and press Enter.
- Once opened, turn it off for all three network types.
- To do so, click on them and toggle the On button to Off.
Once done, reopen the launcher and see if it fixes the issue, and if it does, move to the next section.
Allow FFXIV Through Windows Firewall
If turning off your Firewall does kill the unable to complete version check error, it would be a good idea to re-enable it, as it’s an essential security tool, and add FFXIV as an exception to it. To do so:
- Repeat the previous steps to enable the three network types.
- Go back to the Main Page for Firewall and Network Protection.
- Click on Allow an app through Firewall.
- Click on Change Settings.
- Now, click on Allow another app.
- Click on Browse and go to your FFXIV game directory.
- Select your executable file for the game.
- Click on Add and then on Ok.
Did You Get Rid Of The Error?
If you could not fix your problem from the given solutions, it is most likely a server issue, and your hardware has nothing to do with it. In this case, you should wait it out or check for updates from FFXIV’s Official Twitter account. If you have suffered from some other errors related to the game, why not check one of the guides at the end to see what you could have done at that time?
Go to your Square Enix account, and click Account Information to check your current game version.
Yes, the ones recommended in the article have encrypted protocols, so there is no need to worry.
A VPN encrypts or disguises your network packets so they are safe and can’t be detected. However, they are not essential.
- FFXIV: World Data Could Not Be Obtained [FIXED]
- Solved: FFXIV 3070 Error 
- Solved: FFXIV Launcher Error 30413
- Solved: How To Fix FFXIV Error 2002 
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍