Gaining the approval of the brooding vampire Astarion in BG3 requires finesse. The approval system tracks how much each companion likes or dislikes your actions. In Baldur’s Gate 3 for Astarion, certain dialogue options and story choices will raise or lower his approval rating.
Astarion In Baldur’s Gate 3
In BG3, gaining your companions‘ approval is important in strengthening your relationships and uncovering story content. One of the trickier companions to get approval from is Astarion, the mischievous vampire spawn.
Astarion has very specific likes and dislikes, making playing a heroic good character challenging. However, putting in the effort to gain Astarion’s approval can be rewarding. It will open up the possibility for a romance with him, provide insight into his backstory, and even grant gameplay bonuses.
The approval system in BG3 tracks how much each companion likes or dislikes your actions. For Astarion, certain dialogue options and story choices will raise or lower his approval rating. This guide will explain how to navigate Astarion’s approval system and maximize your rating with him.
How To Gain Astarion’s Approval In BG3
Since Astarion is a selfish vampire, you will need to make some hard dialogue choices to get on his good side. These dialogues and decisions could also affect any of the other romance options you’re aiming for such as Gale. Nonetheless, here are the Baldur’s Gate 3 Astarion dialogue choices that will increase Astarion’s approval rating.
Here are some of the key ways to get on his good side:
- Side with the goblins when given a chance, Astarion advocates for helping them attack the druid grove rather than protecting it. Agreeing with him raises his approval.
- Astarion likes when you put your interests first and make pragmatic or cruel decisions.
- Allow Astarion to drink your blood.
- Support the use of the tadpole powers. Astarion wants to keep the mind-flayer tadpole for its powers. Agreeing with him on this gets points.
- Frequently make cruel jokes and insulting comments. Astarion enjoys belittling others and appreciates a wicked sense of humor.
- Progress Astarion’s questline and showing loyalty towards him is another way to gain his approval in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- Be deceptive, manipulative, and uncaring towards NPCs. Astarion likes when you are not overly heroic.
Gaining high approval with Astarion in Baldur’s Gate 3 requires acting in your self-interest and embracing his morally dubious tendencies. Focus on supporting him personally, and you will progress on his good side. Hence, make sure to follow the pointers above for BG3 Astarion approval.
How You Can Lose His Approval
While Astarion appreciates selfishness and moral flexibility, certain actions will lower his approval rating of you. Avoid overly noble and generous actions to maintain Astarion’s approval. Be prepared to make questionable choices to stay on his good side when necessary. Here are some key ways you can lose favor with him in Baldur’s Gate 3:
- Playing the “hero” and making decisions for the greater good. Astarion disdains selfless and noble acts. For example, choosing to protect the grove over the goblins will disappoint him.
- Sparing enemies and showing them mercy. Astarion believes in ruthless efficiency and likes seeing wrongdoers suffer. Being overly kind or forgiving will make him lose respect for you.
- Criticizing Astarion after his vampire reveal. He is sensitive about his condition. Admonishing him or driving him away will lower his approval significantly.
- Rejecting his romantic overtures. Not reciprocating if Astarion makes advances will hurt his ego and lower approval.
- Ultimately betraying him or severing ties. Turning on or abandoning him after learning his secrets can tank your approval rating.
Hence, make sure to keep these things in mind and avoid using them while communicating with Astarion. These can affect his approval of you. All in all, try being as selfish, cruel, and insensitive as you can be in front of Astarion in Baldur’s Gate 3 and you’ll gain his approval in no time!
That’s about it for our BG3 Astarion approval guide. There are tons of other NPCs you can interact with and turn them into a potential romance choice, such as Shadowheart.
- Baldur’s Gate 3: BEST Builds
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Classes Tier List
- Baldur’s Gate 3: BEST Paladin Build
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Warlock
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍