Baldur’s Gate 3 allows players to choose their class, which further allows players to mix and match specific best builds of their choice, such as the Paladin class. Players might want to know an optimal Baldur’s Gate 3 Paladin Build, which focuses on the race, background, ability allocation, and the progression-based spells that players can go for; therefore, a detailed walkthrough might be required!
Baldur’s Gate 3 Paladin Class Overview
Regarding Baldur’s Gate 3 Paladin Build, players might first want to know what the Paladin class can do. The Paladin class focuses on being an excellent support to teammates and surviving in combat.
- The class will have its primary ability set toward Strength. When it comes to the Saving Throw Proficiencies, it will be focused mainly on Wisdom and Charisma while having proficiency with Simple and Martial Weapons.
The Paladin class has a few features, most of them being proficiencies, most of which are listed as follows.
|Paladin Class Features||Effects|
|Wisdom Saving Throw Proficiency||Players are able to add their proficiency bonus to their Wisdom Saving Throws|
|Charisma Saving Throw Proficiency||Go ahead and add up your proficiency bonus to the Charisma saving throws|
|Light Armor Proficiency||If players end up wearing Light armor, then it won't give any disadvantage on their attack rolls or spells.|
|Medium Armor Proficiency||Wearing medium armor won't affect your attack rolls or spell-casting|
|Heavy Armor Proficiency||Heavy Armor won't give players any kind of disadvantage for their attack rolls or spells.|
|Shield Proficiency||If you wear a shield, then it won't cause your spells or attack rolls to be affected.|
|Simple Weapon Proficiency||Players can add proficiency bonus to attack rolls using simple weapons.|
|Martial Weapon Proficiency||Players are able to add proficiency bonus to Attack Rolls with their martial weapons.|
Other than this, you will also gain access to an effect known as Lay On Hands.
- Lay On Hand: Players can use their blessed touch to heal any creature and cure it if it has any disease or is poisoned.
- Divine Sense: Apart from this, you also get Divine Sense, which helps players gain an advantage on their attack rolls against creatures classified as the undead or celestial.
Other than that, players will also gain access to four subclasses, for which they will need to pick one for their Baldurs Gate 3 Paladin Build Guide and stick with it.
- Oath of Devotion: One of the first subclasses will focus on having the Holy Rebuke and the Oath of Devotion Tenets as initial features.
Holy Rebuke can provide any of your teammates with an aura that is vengeful that can deal 1d4 Radiant damage to any enemy that attacks them using a melee attack.
- Oath of the Ancients: The Oath of the Ancients will have the Healing Radiance and the Oath of Ancients Tenets as initial features.
Healing Radiance can allow players to heal themselves and all teammates close by for 5 hit points.
- Oath of Vengeance: When it comes to Oath of Vengeance, it will have Inquisitor’s Might and Oath of Vengeance Tenets as the features of choice.
Inquisitor’s Might will allow you to cast out your weapon attacks, unleashing an extra 2 Radiant damage, and can cause opponents to become dazed for one turn.
- Oathbreaker: Lastly, the Oathbreaker subclass will have Spiteful Suffering as the feature, allowing opponents to take in Necrotic damage.
Another thing that players should know is that as you progress from level one up to level 12, you will be able to unlock a few action skills, class features, and feats.
|Actions and Features||Unlock Level||Effect|
|Divine Sense||1||Players will be able to gain advantage on their Attack Rolls against any kind of undead, as well as celestials.|
|Lay on Hands||1||Players can use their touch in order to heal a creature and cure it of everything.|
|Channel Oath Charges||1||Players get the ability to channel their power that has been stored in their Paladin Oath.|
|Divine Smite||2||You can cast out an extra Radiant damage to fiends as well as the undead.|
|Divine Health||3||The divine magic that you have can be used to prevent you from getting any major diseases.|
|Lay on Hands Charge||4||Get an extra Lay on Hands in order to heal either the player or your teammates.|
|Extra Attack||5||You gain an extra attack after carrying out a weapon attack.|
|Aura of Protection||6||You and your teammates will get a bonus to Saving Throws.|
|Lay on Hands Charge||10||Players will get an extra Lay on Hands in order to heal yourself or your teammates.|
|Aura of Courage||10||Opponents won't be able to Frighten you or your teammates.|
|Improved Divine Smite||11||The attacks that you launch out will be infused with divine might.|
Best Paladin Build In Baldur’s Gate 3
Below is an overview of the Baldur’s Gate 3 Paladin Build that players want to follow to get to the main with the Oath of Vengeance sub-class.
|Baldur's Gate 3 Paladin Build||Description|
|Subclass||Oath of Vengeance|
|Class Features||Proficiencies in Wisdom Saving Throw, Charisma Saving Throw, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor, Shield, Simple and Martial Weapon.|
|Ability Points||Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution.|
|Oath Spells||Bane, Hunter's Mark, Hold Person, Misty Step, Relentless Avenger, Haste, Protection From Energy|
For your Baldur’s Gate 3 Paladin Build, you have many race options to choose from, including Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Human, Dwarf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Gnome, Dragonborn, and Half-Orc.
- You can go for the Half-Orc race for a class that is so centric towards the Oath of Vengeance as the subclass.
Half-Orcs are known for their intense emotions and impulsive nature, often displaying kindness or anger towards others. They possess the following features.
- Menacing: Players will be able to gain proficiency while using the Intimidation skill.
- Relentless Endurance: Anytime you have only 0 hit points remaining but are not already assassinated outright, you can drop down to one hit point instead of 0.
- Savage Attacks: Anytime you gain a crit hit using an attack launched by a melee weapon, you can roll one of the weapon’s dice one more time and cast extra damage.
- Darkvision: Players can see in the dark in a range of 12 meters.
- Intimidation: Charisma-based skill.
Oath Of Vengeance Subclass
Moving on, the next thing that players will need to figure out is what subclass they want to go for and to get the most out of your Paladin build, you should choose the Oath of Vengeance class.
- The primary ability of the subclass is, while the Saving Throws’ proficiencies are primarily focused on being that of Charisma and Wisdom.
The subclass also has an effect known as Inquisitor’s Might, which allows players; weapon attacks to deal 2 extra Radiant damage to opponents and can even cause opponents to become dazed for one turn.
- The effect lasts 2 turns, with a range of 9 meters.
Now, when it comes to the background of your choice, you can go for the Soldier background, which has been described as one whereby you are trained in the battlefield and combat due to your experience in the militia.
- The soldier’s background will have proficiencies in Athletics as well as Intimidation.
- Athletics: It allows players to add proficiency bonuses to any roll made with Athletics.
- Intimidation: Players can add their proficiency bonus to rolls made with Intimidation.
Moving on, players might want to consider the number of ability points they want to allocate to each of their abilities and which ones they should focus on the most.
- Charisma: You want to focus on leveling charisma the most since you will utilize it for your spell-casting during battles.
- Strength: For strength, you want to allocate a few points here, too, since you are primarily a melee paladin.
- Dexterity: You can also allocate a few points to Dexterity.
- Constitution: For HP, you can go and place a few points into Constitution, but make sure not to make that the priority.
While assigning the bonuses, you want to allocate it to strength and Charisma mainly since it allows you to take advantage of them.
Spells For Paladin Build
Let’s now quickly go through the Spells you should acquire for your Paladin Build in BG3!
Level 1 Spells
For your level one spell, you can get to choose between the ones that are mentioned below.
|Level One Spells||Effects|
|Bless||Players can bless a total of 3 creatures, and gain a 1d4 bonus to both their saving throws and Attack Rolls.|
|Command||Command any creature.|
|Compelled Duel||Players will use a command to cause any opponent to be compelled to only hit you.|
|Cure Wounds||Heal any creature that you end up touching.|
|Divine Favor||Player's prayer is able to empower them with divine radiance, and weapon attacks will deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage.|
|Heroism||Go ahead and bolster yourself or any teammate using your health, and the opponent will no longer stay Frightened.|
|Protection From Evil And Good||Protect a teammate against your attacks of any kind.|
|Shield of Faith||Surround a creature using a field of magic that will enhance their Armor Class.|
|Searing Smite||Players can deal bonus fire damage.|
|Thunderous Smite||The weapon that you are wielding will ring with thunder as you attack opponents.|
|Wrathful Smite||The weapon you are wielding will absorb the wrath as you attack enemies.|
You can choose Compelled Duel, Shield of Faith, and Cure Wounds from Level 1. You can even go for Bless and Searing Smite for your fourth and fifth prepared spells slot.
Level 2 Spells
Next up, when you get to level 2, you can unlock a few spells listed below.
|Level 2 Spells||Effects|
|Aid||Players can bolster their fellow teammates with toughness and resolve in order to heal and enhance their overall hit points.|
|Branding Smite||The wielded weapon will gleam with radiance and marks your opponent with light, and doesn't allow it to turn Invisible.|
|Magic Weapon||Players are able to infuse any weapon using arcane energy and it gains +1 bonus to Damage as well as attack rolls.|
|Lesser Restoration||Players can cure any creature from either from poisoned, paralysis, diseases or being blinded.|
|Protection From Poison||Interact with a creature to neutralize all kinds of poison from it.|
Reaching Level 3
As you reach level 3, you will be able to get two Action Skills called Abjure Enemy as well as Vow of Enmity.
- Abjure Enemy: Players can cause enemies to become Frightened, become all the more vulnerable, and can be easily hit.
- Vow of Enmity: Players can gain an advantage on their Attack Rolls against opponents.
Players can look at a few spells when they reach level 3 as a Paladin main, which are as follows.
|Level 3 Spells||Effects|
|Blinding Smite||If the attack ends up attacking an enemy, it deals radiant damage.|
|Crusader's Mantle||Creatures that are friendly in an overall 30 feet radius will end up casting out radiant damage.|
|Daylight||Players can cause an item to become enchanted, and it is able to get rid of all and any kind of darkness around you.|
|Remove Curse||Interact with a creature or any object that can allow you to remove all Curses that are affected it.|
|Elemental Weapon||A weapon will end up becoming magical with a total of +1 bonus towards the Attack Rolls.|
|Revivify||Players can revive a teammate.|
|Warden of Vitality||Paladin-type spell.|
Now, as you reach further, you can access a few oath spells listed below.
- Hunter’s Mark
- Hold Person
- Misty Step
- Relentless Avenger
- Protection From Energy.
And that’s just about it! All that players need to know about the Baldur’s Gate 3 Paladin Build, so let’s wrap up the guide! While you’re here, why not read up on Baldur’s Gate 3 Character Creator guide, which will go into detail about all features of the character creator? Apart from that, the Baldur’s Gate 3 Cleric guide will entail everything that you need to know about the Cleric class!
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Companions
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Strange Ox
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Halsin
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Wildheart Barbarian
- Ranger Baldur’s Gate 3
- Best Builds Baldur’s Gate 3
Build Inspiration: SpudTheKing on Youtube
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍