Many players have reported experiencing the “Elden Ring Stuttering issue” on various platforms. This issue has continued since Elden Ring was first released in the market, with no official resolution from the developers. In some cases, the stuttering can be accompanied by crashing as well. Elden Ring’s stuttering gets especially bad when players try to load into a new area. The stuttering itself is highly inconsistent, making the frame rate go from 60 to as low as ten within a few seconds. This makes Elden Ring nearly impossible to play sometimes.
What Causes Elden Ring To Stutter?
Several different factors can contribute to this Elden Ring Stuttering issue. These are the main culprits:
- If your PC’s hardware is not strong enough to run Elden Ring properly, you will likely encounter stuttering, frame drops, and crashing.
- Corrupted or missing important game files for Elden Ring can also lead to stuttering.
- An outdated version of Windows or your GPU’s device drivers may also cause stuttering in Elden Ring.
- The anti-cheat associated with Elden Ring is also known to cause various types of stuttering issues.
- Significant dust build-up can lead to overheating in your PC, which causes stuttering.
The very first thing you should do is verify whether your PC meets the minimum hardware required to be able to play Elden Ring. Here are the requirements:
Elden Ring System Requirements
Minimum Hardware Requirements
These requirements are the bare minimum, and using better hardware is recommended. You should be able to play Elden Ring from low to medium graphic settings with these:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB or AMD Radeon RX 580 4 GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 / AMD Ryzen 3 300X
RAM: 12 GB
Disk Space Required: 60 GB
Operating System: Windows 10
Recommended Hardware Requirements
If you have hardware equivalent to or greater than this, you should be able to play Elden Ring on medium to high graphic settings:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB or AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8 GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: 16 GB
Disk Space Required: 60 GB
Operating System: Windows 10
Fix Elden Ring Stuttering Issue
Because many different things can cause Elden Ring to stutter, pinpointing an exact culprit can be difficult. This is why it’s recommended that you explore all the solutions provided below.
A few quick things you can check off the list include updating Windows and your GPU’s device drivers. In case your PC has an excessive amount of dust built up, you should clean it thoroughly before moving on to more technical solutions.
Disable Microsoft RRAS Root Enumerator
This is one of the most effective ways of eliminating the stuttering in Elden Ring and most other games. The Microsoft RRAS Root Enumerator serves as a legacy driver used for the functioning of MIDI devices or hardware repair. If you are not a professional who owns an old system, this driver is entirely unnecessary, and you should disable it. Not only does it cause stuttering in various games, but it can also consume your system’s processing power.
Here’s how you can disable Microsoft RRAS Root Enumerator:
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard to open the start menu. In the search bar, type Device Manager and click on the result.
- In the device manager, click on the view option at the top to open a list of options.
- From the list of options, click on Device by Connection.
- You should now be able to see the Microsoft RRAS Root Enumerator.
- Right-click it and select Disable Device. You can also choose to uninstall it if you wish to.
Verify & Repair Game Files
Corrupted or missing game files can cause various issues with Elden Ring. These files are essential in making sure that Elden Ring operates as intended. If a single one of these files is not doing its intended job, Elden Ring will malfunction. This can likely lead to stuttering and other problems.
- Launch Steam and click your game’s library.
- Find Elden Ring from the library and right-click it.
- From the list of options, select properties.
- Now navigate to Installed Files and click Verify integrity of game files.
- Steam will automatically search for any bad game files and replace them.
Enable V-Sync & Triple Buffering In NVIDIA Control Panel
Some players have reported that enabling Triple Buffering and V-Sync with the fast option fixed the stuttering in Elden Ring. Though, this is specifically for NVIDIA users. If you use an AMD GPU, you can move on to the next method instead.
Here’s how you can enable both of these options:
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop and open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Make sure you are inside Manage 3D Settings. Here, switch to the Program settings category.
- Under “Select a program to Customize,” pick Elden Ring and click Add.
- Below “Specify settings for this program,” you will find a list of options.
- Scroll down until you find Triple Buffering and Vertical Sync.
- Turn on Triple Buffering and set Vertical Sync to Fast.
Disable Easy Anti-Cheat
Elden Ring’s Easy Anti-Cheat has been known to cause many issues with the game. For many players, it is the culprit behind their stuttering issue as well. This is because the Easy Anti-Cheat uses a lot of your system’s resources, which can be used to run the Elden Ring instead optimally.
Do note that if you disable Easy Anti-Cheat, Elden Ring will only be available to play offline. If you are a player who mainly uses Elden Ring’s online features, then this method is not for you. However, it’s perfect for players looking to play through Elden Ring’s single-player modes with optimal performance. Here’s how you can disable Elden Ring’s Easy Anti-Cheat:
- Launch Steam and enter your games library. From the list of games, locate Elden Ring.
- Right-click Elden Ring to open an options menu.
- From here, highlight Manage and click on Browse Local Files. This will take you to the Elden Ring game folder on your PC.
- Double-click the folder called “Game” and locate start_protected_game.exe.
- Right-click start_protected_game.exe and rename it to anything else. Simply adding an extra letter in the file name will work.
- Once done, locate eldenring.exe. Right-click this file and copy + paste it into the same folder.
- Now proceed to rename eldenring.exe’s copy to “start_protected_game.exe.”
- You will notice the Elden Ring logo change to the easy anti-cheat logo.
- You can now launch Elden Ring as you normally would through Steam.
Lower Elden Ring’s Graphic Settings
At this point, the likely culprit behind the Elden Ring stuttering issue is insufficient system hardware. The only way to fix this is to upgrade your hardware or try to play Elden Ring on low graphic settings. You can follow the settings mentioned in our Best Elden Ring Settings guide. This will ensure that you get the highest performance and FPS possible without sacrificing the visuals.
You should also verify that your PC does not have unnecessary background programs open. These can use up a lot of your PC’s processing power. Similarly, disable 3rd-party in-game overlays as well. The majority of these overlays are not helpful for the average player and can take up more power than you might think.
Did You Fix Elden Ring’s Stuttering?
The stuttering in Elden Ring has plagued the game since the day it was released. Despite having strong PCs, many players were unable to find any solution to their stuttering problem. It is likely because Elden Ring is such a resource-heavy game, with tons of processing power required just to load into a new area. But after going through this guide, you can be confident that the pesky stuttering issue will be resolved permanently.
Multiple things can cause Elden Ring to stutter. This can include insufficient system hardware, bad game files, easy anti-cheat causing conflicts, and Microsoft RRAS Root Enumerator.
You should ensure that your PC meets the hardware requirements. If it does, but the stuttering persists, try verifying game files and disabling the easy anti-cheat or the Microsoft RRAS Root Enumerator.
The RRAS Root Enumerator is a legacy driver for MIDI devices. It is used to troubleshoot or update old systems.
- A Connection Error Occurred Elden Ring
- Elden Ring Anti Cheat Error
- Elden Ring Connection Error When Summoned
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍