Just got your hands on this fresh released action RPG but your experience has been cut short due to a major gameplay bug? You’re not alone if you’re currently met with the Elden Ring anti cheat error. Thousands of other players have tested their luck with the online section of the title, but to simply no avail. Sometimes it’s the “Network Status Failed” issue that impedes their experience whereas in other cases, problems related to joining summons do curious players no good.
Despite having its fair share of launch problems, Elden Ring is still an exceedingly solid IP right out the devilish gates of FromSoftware’s office. It features tip-top combat, a vast and rewarding open-world gameplay mechanic, and tons of details in the Lands Between to gamers hooked to their seats. In our review, we felt a moral obligation to hand the RPG a 10/10 and title it “The Greatest Soulsborne Game Ever.” Read on as to find out why we did all that.
If you’re a new player, we highly recommend checking out our specialized guide on the best Elden Ring starting class. Moreover, here are some best tips on how to parry in the game. You also might want to know how to two-hand weapons and deal massive damage for the days to come. Let’s get on with the anti cheat error, what it is, and how you can resolve it on your end.
What is the Elden Ring Anti Cheat Error?
FromSoftware has employed an Easy Anti-Cheat tool within Elden Ring in a robust attempt to keep things fair and just during cooperative or competitive play online. On a platform like PC where you have dedicated websites for downloading mods and such, the Easy Anti-Cheat or otherwise known as EAC can tone cheating down and let the rest of us innocent gamers enjoy their sessions in peace.
The incorporation of anti-cheat is becoming much more of a norm in titles that sport a multiplayer mode. Elden Ring employs a similar functionality as well that bars hackers from having their way online. However, the fact of the matter is that sometimes, this utilitarian appliance can cause more issues than it solves. A glaring example of this problem is the Elden Ring anti cheat error.
In its strive to prevent cheaters with third-party software from altering the game’s functionality to their convenience, the Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) program is causing consistent crashing and isn’t even letting players launch the game. During this Elden’s Ring launch period, people across different platforms, especially PC, have been experiencing this problem ad nauseam with no clear solution in mind.
You try launching the game from the desktop by double-clicking on the shortcut icon, but the system returns you with the following message, saying “Failed to initialize the game launcher.” You waited years on end for Elden Ring to drop and this is how things are at the moment. Definitely cannot have that, can you?
It appears that the problem surfaces when the tool obstructs the main configuration files of Elden Ring and tries to interrupt the launch process in some manner. It’s either that or files of the anti cheat folder itself have been corrupted. Whatever the case, the end result leaves you with Elden Ring in an unplayable state, not only excluding you from online play but the offline mode as well.
Now that you’re well aware of the gist of this issue, let’s talk about the best ways to fix the Elden Ring anti cheat error.
How To Fix the Elden Ring Anti Cheat Error
We’ve rounded up the most definite fixes for the issue at hand, so do follow them carefully for the best results.
Update the Game for a New Patch
In recent times, a slew of reports coming in for the anti cheat error not allowing players to start the game has prompted the developer FromSoftware to look into the matter. The community can definitely be compelling on certain occasions and a title at its launch period having game-crushing bugs is one of them.
Through consistent complaints, therefore, the people higher up have brought the issue into their consideration and have rolled out a patch to players on PC and the PlayStation 5. The development took flight on February 27 when Elden Ring’s official Twitter handle posted the announcement.
As you can comprehend from the image above, the latest version of Elden Ring that’s claimed to be error-free for the most part is 1.02.1. Among a bevy of other fixes, the anti cheat error has also been resolved now, so you shouldn’t have to put up with it anymore after updating your game. Therefore, you already know what to do now. Check if your version has been updated to the recent-most release.
If you’re still on v1.02, there’s a good chance that you’ll be encountering the anti cheat error relentlessly. All you have to employ at the time of writing is get your copy of the game to the latest released version and you’ll be good to go.
However, if even updating Elden Ring doesn’t do the trick for you, there is a whole bunch of other things that you can do. The following potential solutions are going to take it from here.
More From eXputer: Best Ranged Weapons in Elden Ring.
Add Configuration Files to the Main “EasyAntiCheat” Folder
If getting Elden Ring to the latest available update version has brought you no luck, there’s another fix that you can try yourself in the hope of manually fixing the anti cheat error. This method involves the addition of files or the replacement of working ones to the “EasyAntiCheat” folder present on your PC within the main Elden Ring directory. It depends on whether you have files within the aforementioned area or you’re missing them.
What you’ll do basically in this potential fix is download fully operational configuration files on the PC, check the device to see if you have the “GameLauncher” folder within “EasyAntiCheat,” and add the downloaded items to it. This may sound fairly confusing to you for now, but don’t fret. We’ll walk you through the process in a step-by-step fashion, so you can get to the bottom of this matter without breaking a sweat.
The following steps are going to take it from here.
- The first step is to use this direct Google Drive link and grab the operational Easy Anti-Cheat configuration files on your PC. There’s going to be a visible download button in the top-right corner, allowing you to download the whole folder easily.
2. You’ll soon notice that the downloaded folder will be in the form of a ZIP format. You can quickly extract the contents of the folder using any of your Windows PC’s extraction tools, may it be 7Zip or WinRAR.
3. After you’ve extracted the “GameLauncher” folder, the next step is to go inside it and copy all of its files.
4. Good going so far. You now have to get to the “EasyAntiCheat” folder that’s present on your PC, given that you already have Elden Ring installed. If you’ve chosen the default destination for the game’s installation, it’s most likely that you’ll find “EasyAntiCheat” in your Local Disk (C:). Check out the following pathway that you can use to get to the folder in question quickly.
After entering your Local Disk (C:), you’ll have to find the “Users” folder, followed by clicking on the username that you’ve set for your PC. This will lead you to a bevy of other folders, and allow you to select “AppData.” You’ll proceed by then opting for the “Local” folder within “AppData” and get closer to finalization by choosing “Roaming” next. You now simply have to scroll down the list of the subsequently appearing folders until you find “EasyAntiCheat.”
- A quick tip: It’s logical to see if you have the “Hidden items” checkbox enabled in your File Explorer’s toolbar to see if you’re missing out on some files. The “EasyAntiCheat” folder can’t surface if you’ve enabled that setting.
5. After clicking on “EasyAntiCheat,” you’ll find the “GameLauncher” folder within. Click on it and paste the files that you copied in step number 3. You’ll be prompted to replace the files already present in the “GameLauncher” folder. Do that to finalize the process.
- In the case that you do not see “EasyAntiCheat” within the “Roaming” folder even after disabling “Hidden items,” you can opt to create a new folder and give it the same name within the “Roaming” directory. Bear in mind that you’ll also have to create the “GameLauncher” folder subsequently and paste the anti cheat configuration files accordingly.
That’s about it for this solution. You can now try launching Elden Ring to see if the anti cheat error has ceased to exist. If the issue is still bent on staying that way, keep on reading to employ more fixes.
Verify the Integrity of Elden Ring’s Files
If you’re playing the game on Steam, there is a way to resolve the Elden Ring anti cheat error. The issue that’s not letting you experience the game online can be residing anywhere in the downloaded files of the title. Now, sifting through the installation files on your own can be a daunting task, but not unless you have the Steam launcher at your disposal.
This world-famous platform comprises a terrific feature that allows it to compare the downloaded game files you have with the original files on the relevant server. If discrepancies are observed, Steam’s in-built tool promptly gets to work and digs out the problem on your own end.
This is an obvious solution for many issues that may arise for a particular title, but make no mistake that it’s also one of the most effective ones. The following steps are going to illustrate how you can verify the integrity of Elden Ring’s files and possibly get back to playing and slaying.
- The first step is to launch the Steam desktop application on your Windows PC. The client should be easily accessible from the Windows Start menu or the Taskbar if you have it pinned there.
2. You now have to double-click on “Elden Ring” in the sidebar of your “Library” section to expand more of the options there. Once done, the next step is to click on “Properties.”
3. The next step is to select “Local Files” from the column to the left and follow it up by painlessly clicking on “Verify integrity of game files.” A small-scale window will appear on the screen, informing you that the validation process has begun.
4. The final step is to close the window down after the validation procedure finalizes. This will be fairly simple to do. When you see the “All files successfully validated” message on the prompt, click on “Close” and you’ll be done here.
You’ve successfully learned how to validate the game files in this comprehensive fix. The Elden Ring anti cheat error will hopefully be resolved now, but in the unfortunate scenario that it isn’t, continue below for more potential solutions.
Launch Elden Ring as an Administrator From the “Game” Directory
There’s another possible fix to the Elden Ring anti cheat error that has been making rounds across forums and communities on the internet. It has something to do with launching the game from the main “Game” folder and that too as an administrator.
In addition, there’s one more thing you’ll have to try doing while you’re in this specific directory. We’ll guide you how to proceed in the best possible way from here on out. The following instructions are going to take it from here. Be sure to follow them as advised.
1. First off, you have to open the Steam app on your Windows PC and go to the “Library” compartment. From there, double-click on “Elden Ring” in the sidebar and hover over “Manage.” You’ll then be able to reveal more options and select “Browse local files.” Doing so should launch the File Explorer window on your end while automatically taking you to the main “ELDEN RING” directory.
2. Since you’ll be seeing the main Elden Ring folder within the File Explorer system app on your device now, the next step is to click on “Game.” Check out the following screenshot for a visual explanation.
3. You’ll now be taken to the “Game” folder and this is where all of Elden Ring’s main configuration files can be found. Here, you’ll be able to pick out the “start_protected_game.exe” file somewhere at the bottom. To finally get started with this potential solution of the Elden Ring anti cheat error, double-click on the file and run it as an administrator.”
4. Right after that, the next step is to go a little up in the same “Game” folder and select the Elden Ring executable file, typically present in the form of “eldenring.exe.” Repeat the procedure of the last step here. Launch it as an administrator to see if doing so brings any positive results.
This is as far as you go for the fourth fix on this list. With some struck of luck and fortune, you’ll hopefully be able to launch Elden Ring just fine moving forward. If the problem still persists, you may need to take other measures.
Check Whether Your Antivirus is Blocking EAC
The Easy Anti-Cheat engine has a dedicated blog page that states a crucial piece of information regarding antivirus software. It’s commonplace for users to have programs on their Windows PC to wade off malware and keep them well-protected. These programs usually work great and know the difference between infectious files and system-installed ones.
However, if you have an outdated antivirus application on your system, there’s a good chance that it might be causing the “Failed to initialize game launcher error” in Elden Ring. A relation between Easy Anti-Cheat and your antivirus software can be generated in terms of the former having a security standard. The antivirus that you have might be treating the anti cheat software as a foreign and malware-ridden program.
It is possible that you’re experiencing the issue, therefore, because of this scenario. Thankfully for Easy Anti-Cheat, the developers of this software have partnered up with the most well-established antivirus brands, so users never have to encounter any problems with online playability.
What you can do in this regard is either update your antivirus app to the latest version or change it altogether if it isn’t supported by Easy Anti-Cheat. The following are some of the best antivirus software that work with this engine:
Your best bet is to try and search if there’s an update in line for your installed antivirus software. If that doesn’t do it for you, try uninstalling the program and launching Elden Ring without it working in the background. Does the problem still continue to be a menace? Keep on reading to try out more of what you can do in this respect.
Disable Steam Overlay
Steam Overlay is a launcher feature that enables players to use the platform’s various community-centric features while in-game. It primarily lets you take a quick glance at your friends, their activity, the latest and ongoing news highlights, and, of course, your achievements panel. It’s a fairly decent utility, but it’s known to interfere with the work of the Easy Anti-Cheat engine on some occasions.
That is why we need to try disabling the Steam Overlay functionality to see if it would do anything for the Elden Ring anti-cheat error. This may not work for some of you out there, but it’s definitely worth a shot.
Turning the feature off is pretty effortless. All you have to do is open up the “Properties” of the title in question, make sure you’re within the “General” tab, and click on the toggle beside “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.” That should promptly do the trick for you.
As soon as you’ve gone through the process, try launching Elden Ring again to see if you’ve managed to fix the issue. Continue to the final fix for the issue at hand if nothing has come to fruition yet.
Disable the Easy Anti-Cheat Tool — Recommended for Offline Play
We can understand where you’re coming from if all of your options have been exhausted. It seems that you will have to disable the Easy Anti-Cheat tool on your PC for the time being in order to experience Elden Ring. The major caveat associated with this, however, is that you won’t be able to play online. Unfortunately, anti-cheat measures are a definite part of Eldein Ring’s multiplayer. The title will simply refuse to go online without it.
Games of the Soulsborne franchise are definitely a whole new experience when played with other people. It certainly bears noticing that you’ll have to miss out on a major part of the RPG’s gameplay this way, but you don’t have much of a choice at this point either. To disable EAC on your PC and hopefully resolve the Elden Ring anti cheat error, you will need to perform the following steps.
- Fire up the Steam launcher and head to the “Library” section. Double-click on “Elden Ring” next and find more options to click on. Hover over “Manage” next and finally choose “Browse local files.”
2. Click on the “Game” folder next to reveal all the relevant Elden Ring files. Your job now is to rename the “start_protected_game.exe” file. You’re free to change its name even by adding one more letter, although we do recommend reverting it to something simpler.
3. The next step is to duplicate the “eldenring.exe” file so there are two of them in the “Game” folder. This can be achieved simply by copying and pasting the aforementioned file. Your task now is to rename this freshly made copy of the “eldenring.exe” file to “start_protected_game.exe.” We’re basically tricking the game client into thinking that it doesn’t have Easy Anti-Cheat installed as one of its components.
4. That’s about it as far as disabling the anti-cheat tool in Elden Ring is concerned. The final step is to open the Steam launcher, hover over to Elden Ring, and launch it as you usually would. You’re bound to see better results now.
This is how you can experience Elden Ring offline for the time being. It’s possible to enjoy the thrill of being a Tarnished wanderer without the anti cheat error getting in your way now.
We’ve now arrived at the article’s conclusion.
The Elden Ring anti cheat error isn’t creating a lot of happiness around itself, and someone who’s even remotely familiar with the joy of playing a Soulsborne game online can easily see why. The good news is that the developers have rolled out the patch for this game-crushing bug. The vast majority of Elden Ring’s player base can now go online. However, some still appear to be stuck behind the Easy Anti-Cheat wall for reasons unknown.
In this guide, we’ve managed to dish out the best solutions you can try and negate the problem and get back to playing cooperatively. If you’ve managed to make the game work, don’t miss out on these tip-top methods for fast rune farming and related exploits. As always, eXputer wishes you good luck!
Do let us know down in the comments section if any of the solutions listed above paid off for you.
Good job! Please give your positive feedback ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍