Almost seven years after Final Fantasy 15, another addition to the franchise is set to be released and holds exciting development for fans. More notably, the Final Fantasy 16 plot offers interesting elements such as a new protagonist, a different realm, and even time skips to keep you hooked on the story. With a whole new roster of characters and elements, there is much to be discussed!
Related: Final Fantasy 16 Voice Actors
All Important Elements In Final Fantasy 16 Story
The Final Fantasy 16 plot is quite ambitious as it tries to tie in multiple realms and different time periods of the protagonist into an exciting tale. It also adds a unique twist on the summons and political agenda behind those that can control them. I have listed here all the key elements that are part of FF16’s mega story landscape.
1. Realm Of Vlisthea
Valisthea, the setting for Final Fantasy XVI, is a vibrant world divided between the two continents of Ash and Storm. It’s dotted with magical Mothercrystals, which provide aether energy, the life force for its populace. This enchanting world, however, has a layered history. It was once dominated by a technologically advanced sky-based civilization that met its demise 1500 years ago. Now, the remnants of this civilization are scattered across Valisthea, and it’s treated more as a legend than a historical fact.
2. The Plight Of Valisthea
Despite the seeming tranquility and magical abundance, Valisthea is faced with a significant problem: the depletion of aether energy, referred to as the Blight. Overuse of the Mothercrystals leads to this energy crisis, driving nations into conflict over resources and leading to a drastic impact on magic users who risk petrification from excessive magic use.
3. The Kingdoms Of Valisthea
There are multiple surrounding Kingdoms in Valisthea which will have many implications for the plot of Final Fantasy 16. They are the following:
- The Grand Duchy of Rosaria: Located on the Storm continent, this kingdom is the home of our protagonist, Clive Rosfield. Rosaria houses the Dominant of the Phoenix Eikon, Clive’s younger brother, Joshua.
- The Holy Empire of Sanbreque: This empire, also on the Storm continent, is ruled by Dion Lesage, the crown prince and the Dominant of Bahamut.
- The Dhalmekian Republic: Another significant power on the Storm continent, the Dhalmekian Republic is a prominent political entity with Hugo Kupka, the Dominant of Titan, as a key figure.
- The Kingdom of Waloed: Waloed dominates the Ash continent, led by King Barnabas Tharmr, the Dominant of Odin. The kingdom also has a spy, Benedikta Harman, who is the Dominant of Garuda.
- The Crystalline Dominion: A neutral power residing between Ash and Storm, the Crystalline Dominion holds a unique position in Valisthean politics.
- The Iron Kingdom: An outlier, the Iron Kingdom, governed by the Crystalline Orthodox, is located off the coast of Storm and speaks its own unique language. It’s known for its isolationist tendencies.
4. Understanding Eikons
Eikons, in the realm of Final Fantasy XVI, are powerful magical creatures that are central to the fabric of Valisthea’s society and lore. Each Eikon is linked to a specific elemental force, and this association helps maintain a balance in the world. These elemental forces can be as diverse as fire, embodied by the Eikons Phoenix and Ifrit, to ice, represented by Shiva.
Notably, each Eikon is unique. However, this equilibrium is disrupted by the appearance of Ifrit, a second Eikon of fire. This anomaly unsettles the balance, stirring a conflict that is central to Final Fantasy 16’s plot.
5. The Role Of Dominants
Dominants are the human hosts for the Eikons. Unlike most people in Valisthea, they can wield magic without needing the support of crystals. This inherent power makes them valuable assets in society, and they often play key roles critical to the nation’s politics and military.
- The status and perception of Dominants, however, vary dramatically depending on the location of their birth.
- In some societies, Dominants are revered and respected, often taking on the role of political leaders.
- For example, Clive’s younger brother Joshua, the Dominant of the Phoenix Eikon, is the designated successor to their father’s duchy.
- In other societies, Dominants are seen as a threat or weapon and are subject to abuse.
- Some of them might even be killed or used as tools of war.
These contrasting perceptions underscore the stark differences in cultural norms across Valisthea’s kingdoms.
6. Dominants And Their Eikons
Some of the key Dominants and their associated Eikons in Final Fantasy XVI include:
- Joshua Rosfield: Joshua, Clive’s younger brother, is the Dominant of the Phoenix Eikon, known for its healing, fire-based powers.
- Dion Lesage: The crown prince of the Holy Empire of Sanbreque, Dion is the Dominant of the powerful Eikon Bahamut.
- Hugo Kupka: A key political figure in the Dhalmekian Republic, Hugo is the Dominant of the Eikon Titan.
- Barnabas Tharmr and Benedikta Harman: The king of Waloed, Barnabas, is the Dominant of Odin, while Benedikta, a spy from the same kingdom, is the Dominant of Garuda.
- Jill Warrick: Clive’s childhood friend, Jill, is the future Dominant of the ice Eikon, Shiva.
- Cidolfus Telamon: Cidolfus is the Dominant of Ramuh and aspires to create a safe haven for victimized magic users.
- Clive Rosfield: Although not officially a Dominant, Clive is a unique case as he can acquire and wield the power of multiple Eikons in combat.
The concepts of Eikons and Dominants, their interplay, and their profound impact on the socio-political landscape of Valisthea are integral to understanding the rich narrative of Final Fantasy XVI.
Final Fantasy 16’s Protagonist
Clive Rosfield’s story is a compelling blend of personal tragedy, survival, and power struggle. His journey, marked by loss, revenge, and redemption, forms the heart of the Final Fantasy 16 plot. As the main character, Clive embodies the complex interplay of societal roles, personal tragedy, and the consequences of power within the rich tapestry of Valisthea’s socio-political landscape. Here is everything we know about him so far.
Clive’s Early Life
Born as the first son to the Archduke of the Grand Duchy of Rosaria, Clive enjoys a high status in Valisthea.
- Despite his noble birth, he doesn’t inherit the mantle of the successor to his father’s position.
- This role passes to his younger brother, Joshua, who is designated as the Dominant of the Phoenix Eikon.
- Clive’s life is irrevocably tied to his brother from an early age.
- He serves as Joshua’s knight and protector, a role that underlines his unwavering loyalty and sense of duty.
Throughout Final Fantasy 16, Clive’s narrative spans three different periods: his teenage years, his twenties, and his thirties.
- The transformation from a dutiful young knight to a hardened warrior is central to his character development.
- The murder of his brother Joshua during an attack on Rosaria catalyzes a dramatic shift in Clive’s life.
- Stricken by grief and anger, he embarks on a quest for revenge, thrusting him into the heart of the Eikon wars.
Clive’s Unique Abilities
What sets Clive apart in the world of Valisthea is his unique ability to acquire and wield the power of multiple Eikons in combat, despite not being a Dominant himself.
- This particular capability offers him a distinctive advantage and makes his role pivotal in the unfolding narrative of Final Fantasy XVI.
- In the progression of his journey, Clive appears to become the Dominant of the destructive fire Eikon, Ifrit, suggesting a symbolic duality between him and his slain brother.
- His challenge lies in harnessing this destructive power to combat the world-devastating force known as the Blight.
With that, you now know everything about the Final Fantasy 16 plot and story! There are a lot of exciting things to look forward to, especially with the whole Eikon and Dominants dynamic. The tale of revenge, along with the many different characters, will definitely keep players hooked.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍