Optimization and performance issues are not something unusual nowadays, but more often than not, the issues can be fixed by meddling with the in-game settings as well as the other GPU & CPU graphic options. In today’s guide, we discuss all the best settings to improve the performance of the Farthest Frontier.
Before we start discussing the best settings to boost Farthest Frontier‘s performance, we need to make you aware of the system requirements. With time, the requirements rise because of the leaps in technology.
So obviously, one of the most common issues for insufficient performance is the hardware. We have listed the recommended and minimum requirements below, which can give you an idea of what the recommended hardware is required for running Farthest Frontier.
Minimum requirements mean the absolute minimum you should have before you decide to dive into a game. It doesn’t mean that hardware below the minimum won’t run the game. The game will boot up, but the performance will be unacceptable.
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
- Processor: Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz | AMD FX 8120 @ 3.9 GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 | AMD R9 290, with 3 GB VRAM or better
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 4 GB available space
Recommended requirements usually give you an idea of what your hardware should be to run the game at high settings and 60fps.
- OS: Windows 10 (64bit versions only)
- Processor: Processor: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.5 GHz | AMD Ryzen 5 1600x @ 3.6 GHz
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 | AMD RX 590, with 4 GB VRAM or better
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 4 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX-compatible using the latest drivers
Best Farthest Frontier Graphics Settings
Now there are tons of graphics options in Farthest Frontier, and some affect the performance more than others. The list of graphics options Farthest Frontier offers is given below:
- Refresh Rate
- Soft Shadows
- Soft Particles
- Depth of Field
The easiest way to gain maximum performance is to lower all the graphics options, and this, most of the time, ends up solving performance issues. Also, consider reading our guide on Farthest Frontier Endings and learn how to get them.
Anti-Aliasing and shadows often have a huge impact on performance, and putting the shadows to low and anti-aliasing to FXAA will most likely give you a performance boost.
Besides these settings, toning down the resolution from 1080p to 720p can also drastically increase performance. Now, there is no guarantee that just changing the graphics settings will increase performance. Sometimes the game is highly unoptimized, and at other times, it is the default settings of your PC are set to that hold back the hardware.
So if lowering the settings didn’t work, keep following our guide in order to maximize your FPS in Farthest Frontier.
Update GPU Drivers & Windows
Having outdated windows and drivers can sometimes cause a lot of problems, not only for the games but also for the rest of the applications installed on your PC. Below, we have listed how to update your GPU drivers and windows. While you are it, why not go through our guide on how to destroy wolf den and the best ways to kill bears in Farthest Frontier?
As soon as a new game arrives on the market, more often than not, both NVIDIA and AMD release new GPU drivers that optimize the GPUs for the latest games. So make sure to check that your GPU drivers are up-to-date since having outdated drivers installed can vastly impact the performance of the game.
GPU drivers can be updated by visiting the official websites of NVIDIA and AMD or in the case of integrated GPUs, the official Intel Websites. The versions of drivers can simply be checked from the GPU control panel.
In the case of integrated GPU, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows+R
- Write “dxdiag” and press Enter.
- After the new window pop-up, select the display tab.
- There you can check the integrated GPU you have along with its drivers.
As far as Windows are concerned, by default, they are automatically updated with time, but if for some reason you have the auto-update turned off, then manually check if new updates have arrived or not.
You can check for new Windows updates by simply typing “Check for updates” in the windows search bar. Before reading any further, consider reading our guide on Farthest Frontier heavy tools and learn how to unlock them.
Best CPU Settings For Farthest Frontier
Before we dive into GPU settings, let’s discuss the optimal settings for CPU. Most of the time, the default settings for the CPU do not give you the maximum performance. While you are at it, consider reading our guide on how to make Beer in Farthest Frontier.
Windows, by default, keep the programs from consuming most of the CPU, but if the need arises, you can change the settings and give your game the highest priority.
With the arrival of Windows 10, Microsoft decided to put Game Mode in their Windows to enhance gaming performance. What this basically does is, forces your PC to put all its resources into enhancing game performance. Enabling it is very simple, and the process is given below:
- Simply write “Game Mode Settings” in your window search bar and press Enter.
- A new window will pop up where you can turn on the Game Mode.
CPU Graphics Settings
While you are in the Game-Mode settings, you’ll be able to spot a graphics settings link right below the Related settings tab, as shown in the image below.
Once there, you can also prioritize specific games, which can also help in giving you a few FPS boosts. The process is simple; just simply follow the steps below:
- After clicking on Graphics Settings, the first thing you need to do is to turn on the “Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling”.
- Then, click on the Browse button below the “Graphics Performance Preference” tab.
- Locate where the game is and press Enter
- After you are done with it, the game will pop up in the Graphics Performance Preference tab, but you are not done yet.
- Click on the game, select options, and set it to High Performance.
Best GPU Settings
It’s always recommended to optimize the GPU settings from the GPU control panel if you have dedicated AMD or NVIDIA GPUs installed. Altering and changing the settings in the GPU panels helps the GPU in deciding which aspects of the game should be prioritized. Overall, this can decrease the visual quality of the game to some extent, but you will end up having a much more stable performance.
To tweak your NVIDIA GPU settings, click on the 3D settings tab in the NVIDIA control panel and select “Manage 3D Settings”.
Once there, you will be able to see a huge list of graphics options that you can change. It is strictly advised to follow the guide here in this scenario and not make any extra changes unless you have a clear understanding of what you are doing.
- If you want to make the following changes to Farthest Frontier only, click on Program settings and select the game from there and if you want these changes made to all the games available on your PC, stick to the Global Settings tab.
- After you are done selecting the Global or Program settings, Click on the Power Management Mode and change it to Maximum performance. This will ensure the GPU is being used to its maximum potential.
- Select the Image Sharpening Mode and turn it off. This will tone down the sharpness of post-processing that hogs up your resources.
- Click on the Max Pre-Rendered Frames and set the value to 1. This will make sure that your GPU works on the next immediate frames rather than processing what’s ahead.
- If your monitor supports G-synch and Threaded Optimization, make sure to turn them on as well.
- Select the Display Mode and set it to Single Display Performance Mode. Now all of your resources will be focused on a single monitor instead of being distributed evenly between all the monitors.
- Set the Texture Filtering Quality to Performance Mode.
If you are an AMD GPU owner, you can change the settings from AMD’s Radeon Control Panel. Simply follow the steps below for the best Farthest Frontier settings:
- Right-click on the desktop and open the AMD’s Radeon Control Panel.
- Select the Global Graphics tab to change the game settings.
- Once there, turn off all the proprietary post-processing options that are turned on by default. The options include Radeon Anti-Lag, Radeon Chill, and Radeon Boost.
- You can also turn off the Vertical Synch if you have no problem with screen tearing,
- Select Image Sharpening, Anisotropic Filtering, Maximum Tessellation Level, Frame Rate Target Control, and OpenGL Triple Buffering and disable them.
- Select Surface Format Optimization and turn it on.
- Click on the GPU Workload Settings and select Graphics Mode for maximum performance.
- After that, click on the Texture Filtering Quality and select Performance mode.
- Lastly, select Tessellation and Shader Cache and set it to AMD Optimized mode.
Verify Game F3iles
Well, if updating the drivers and changing graphic settings doesn’t fix the performance issue, then the fact that the game files are corrupted isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Luckily, steam can verify all of your game files and re-download any missing files as well as fix the corrupted ones.
To verify the game files through steam, simply follow the steps below:
- Launch Steam
- Go to your Library and select the Farthest Frontier
- Press Right Click while having “Farthest Frontier” selected and click on Properties.
- Clicking on Properties will open a new window.
- Select Local Files and click on “verify the integrity of the game files”.
- Steam will begin the verification process.
This will verify all the game files and restore the game to its former status. This process is 100% safe and doesn’t interfere with your in-game settings and save files.
Deleting Junk Files
Junk files are basically temporary files that consume unnecessary space on the PC. This tip is helpful for those who have not cleared their junk files for a few months. You can clear the junk files on your PC by the following method:
- Type “Disk Cleanup” in your windows search bar.
- Press Enter and run Disk Cleanup.
In case you are using third-party software like CCleaner and want to check if the junk files are gone, simply follow the steps given below:
- Press Win + R to open the run box → type “prefetch” → remove all junk
- Press Win + R → type “%temp%” → remove all junk
Disable Background Apps
Having other taxing software, especially browsers, open in the background can affect the performance a lot. This forces the PC to divide its resources and can decrease the overall performance of the game. Similarly, sometimes unnecessary software are running in the background without you knowing, which also has a drastic effect on your performance.
Whatever the case closing this software is as simple as it gets. Simply follows the steps below to shut down background apps.
- Write “Task Manager” in the Windows search bar and press Enter.
- A window will pop up where you can see all software running in the background.
- See if there is any application that is consuming ridiculous amounts of CPU or Memory.
- Select the app, right-click and close the app by choosing the “end task” option.
Installing The Game On SSD
With the passage of time, it is becoming hard for developers to optimize their games for HDDs because of HDD’s slow loading speed. SSD is slowly becoming the new norm in most modern hardware and is recommended for most games.
So if you have an SSD installed, transfer the game there since SSDs can help in improving the load times of in-game assets, which ultimately results in a higher framerate.
For any issue, whether it regards optimization or in-game balancing, always email your problems to support. The feedback, most of the time, is highly appreciated. If the problem is on the game’s part, the developers will roll out its fix in upcoming patches.
This concludes our guide on the best settings for Farthest Frontier. We hope our guide helped in fixing your performance issues.
Farthest Frontier is the latest entry in the long line of city-building games developed and published by Crate Entertainment. The game is all about properly managing resources to keep your population happy and your industry running. The tasks include managing and repairing buildings, having good crop rotation, curing diseases if anyone falls ill, avoiding food shortages, and earning gold in Farthest Frontier.
The management can be a tough task if you are new to the genre, so consider reading our best city building and best tips & tricks guide for Farthest Frontier. For more on Farthest Frontier, check out our review on Farthest Frontier to know what our thoughts were on the game.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍