V Rising is a vampiric lore-based game in which your main focus is building your castle and acquiring the best equipment like armor and weapons. The game also has somewhat of a currency in the form of Blood Essence. While Greater Blood Essence is its superior form.
This guide will be discussing V Rising server settings and how to set up your custom server. If you have already tried setting up servers of games before, then the server settings won’t be a problem for you.
However, if it is your first time then our guide will cover all basics of setting up a V Rising server in depth. If for some reason you have any type of error with your server then refer to the V Rising server errors solution error fix guide.
Three Server Configurations in V Rising
First, if you want to enjoy V Rising with your friends then you will require a dedicated V Rising server. Now, there are three possible ways to set up a dedicated V Rising server. Some ways are free to use while others require you to pay a minor fee. The three basic options to set up a V Rising server are:
- Renting a server through G Portal
- Using Steam itself
- Using Steam CMD
Renting A Server Through G Portal (Paid)
Using G Portal to set up your server has its pros and cons. The pros are that it is the same thing that V Rising uses to run its official server. And that G Portal gives you a hassle-free, easy-to-use, and high-performing server experience. But like all things, pros need to be balanced with cons. But in this case, there is only one con. That is, you have to pay to use G Portal to rent servers.
However, G Portal is very easy to use. All you have to do is visit the official website of G Portal and head to the V Rising server page. Next, just select the server option that suits your needs. Also, you can configure your server through an option in G Portal.
Setting Up A Server Through Steam (Free)
Here is another way to set up your dedicated V Rising Server and this time it is through Steam itself. First, go open your steam library and type “V Rising Dedicated Server”. Next, install it. Now right-click the app and select “manage” and then “browse local files”.
This takes you to your server files. After that, you have to follow the Server Settings in V Rising that we will discuss in detail later.
Setting Up A Server Through Steam CMD (Free)
Usually, steam players use Steam CMD to set up their dedicated servers in various games. The same strategy also works for V Rising dedicated servers. If you wish to set up your dedicated server through Steam CMD then follow our steps.
- First of all, you need to download Steam CMD.
- Then extract the zip file.
- Next, run “staemcmd.exe”.
- Now, type in “login anonymous” and proceed further to login into Steam CMD.
- Furthermore, type “App_update 1829350”. This will download all the server files.
- Now to exit the app type “exit”.
- Now find your V Rising dedicated server files in your Steam CMD folder under steamapps/common.
V Rising Server Settings
Now, that you have acquired the server files, you need to make a few changes to make it custom for yourself. First of all, you will need to add your server name.
And to that simply right-click on the “start_server_example.bat” file and then edit it. First, add a server name that will be shown in the server list. To add a server name you have to type in your server name after “-serverName”.
Next, you require a save name. The name will be shown in your save files. To add the save name just repeat the above process. But instead of the “-serverName” type “-saveName” after the name you have chosen. After you have completed the above steps just save the file and then exit the file.
Now make your way to “VRisingServer_Data/StreamingAssets/Settings”. Here rest the four very crucial files that you need to edit.
- The first file is “banlist.txt”. Type here the player’s name whom you want to ban from the server.
- The next file is “adminlist.txt”. Here you have to type the names of the players that you want to make admins of the server.
- The third file is “ServerHostSettings.json”. Open the file and edit it to change the server settings.
- The last file is “ServerGameSettings.json”. Open it edit to change the game’s settings.
Open “ServerHostSettings.json” then edit in here the server name and save name. Keep in mind that the names should match the names you typed in the “start_server_example.bat” file earlier. Furthermore, you can add a password and description here. The password is so that only players you want can join through it. While the description is the text that is shown in the server list to describe your server.
While you are at it, remember to take note of the numbers of “Port” and “QueryPort” as you will require these later for the firewall access and port forwarding. Now you can save and exit the file. If you like you can also edit the “ServerGameSettings.json” file to set PVP or PVE. Also, you can change various other aspects of the game.
“ServerGameSettings.json” File Editing Option
Now, we will discuss some of the most important aspects of V Rising that you can change through editing the “ServerGameSettings.json” file. It will basically change the in-game mechanics of the game like clan size and more. Here are some of the important commands that you can change in the file:
- First of all, “ClanSize”. Here you can set the limit for the overall number of players in a clan.
- Next is “BloodBoundEquipment”. If you “true” this section then upon death you will be able to keep your inventory.
- Now, “SunDamageModifier”. Changing the setting in here will change the amount of damage the sun does to a player. By default, it is set to 1.
- Furthermore, the “CastleLimit”. Here you can set the number of castle hearts a player can have. By default, the number of castle hearts is 2.
- Next, “CastleDecayRateModifier”. This section will determine the rate at which the castle heart will decay.
- Then there is the “CanLootEnemyContainers”. If you set the setting to “true” then players can loot other players’ containers.
- After that, there is also “GameModeType”. Basically here you can choose the type of game mode. PVP or PVE.
- Next is the “DayDurationInSeconds”. Now here you can set the number of seconds it takes to complete a whole cycle of day and night. By default, it is set to 1080.
- Now next up is double trouble. “VSPlayerWeekdayTime” and “VSPlayerWeekendTime”. These can be altered to set times and days on which players can attack each other. These are only possible for PVP servers.
- Well, it is just your lucky day as we have got another double file. “VSCastleWeekdayTime” and “VSCastleWeekendTime”. These can be altered to set times when players can raid other players’ castles.
Starting The Server
Now that you have completely set up your dedicated server, you will be wondering how to start it. Well, starting the server is not so complicated. All you have to do is to open the “start_server_example.bat” file. After opening it a black window will open with a bunch of text. If these lines appear then you have done it. Your server has started perfectly and works fine.
Closing Down TheServer
Now if for some reason you have to close your server down then just click on the black server window. Then click “Ctrl+C”. After a short time, a prompt will pop up. “Terminate batch job (Y/N)?”. If you want to close the server then simply type “ y “. This will effectively close the server down.
Now to make your server joinable you may have to tweak a bit your firewall and port forwarding.
Port Forwarding and Firewall are very important if you run into any type of joining error or any type of server issue. These two things need to be done correctly so that people can easily join your V Rising Server.
First of all, to make your server easy for others to join you need to set up Port forwarding. And for that, you first need to know your router’s IP address. By the way, the process of port forwarding is different for everyone according to their router.
Now, finding your router’s Ip address is very simple. First on your keyboard press “Windows Start Button+R”. Now the run tab will open. Then type “cmd” in the Run tab. Next, type “ipconfig” in the tab that appears. Now take note of the number next to “Default Gateway”.
The number is usually “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.1.1”. While you are at it, also take note of your IPV4 number.
Now that you have found the IP address, you will use the number to login into your network tool. Type the IP address in the internet browser tab. This will lead you to the network tool. Where you will follow the steps provided by the network tool for the Port forwarding.
After that use the “Port” and “QueryPort” numbers that you noted earlier in the “ServerHostSettings.json” file. You will also require the IPV4 address that you noted earlier.
Now that the Port forwarding has been done, you will require to allow the port through the firewall. This will definitely allow others to join the dedicated servers. If you are using Windows then follow the following steps to allow the port through the firewall:
- First of all, reach the run tab by pressing “Start+R” and then type “wf.msc” in the run tab.
- Now select “Inbound Rules” and then press “New Rule”.
- Furthermore, select “Port” and then press “TCP”. Now here type the ports that you found in port forwarding. Separate them by commas.
- Next, click “Allow the Connection”. Then on the next screen that pops check all the boxes. After that name the new add-on and then hit “Finish”.
- Now repeat the same steps to set up another add-on for the same ports. However, this time using “UDP” instead of “TCP”.
Joining A Dedicated Server in V Rising
Now, Joining a dedicated V Rising server is a very easy process. All you have to do is start the game and then find Display all Servers & Settings under Find Servers which is further under Online Play.
Now make sure that you have selected the right filter options. Next, type your server’s name and just hit “Join”.
Alternative Method To Join A Server
Well now for those who can not seem to join the server using the first method, fortunately, there is an alternative way. First, you have to hit the “Direct Connect” option in the join server section in V Rising. Now depending on your case type the IP address.
- The first case is if you are joining from the PC from where the server is running. In this case, use “127.0.0.1” to join directly into the server.
- The next case is if you are not on the same network as the machine on which you are running the server. For the situation, you will have to type the server machine’s external IP Address to join.
- Now, if you are joining from a PC that is on the same network as the machine that runs the server. In this case, you will have to type the server’s IPV4 address.
Turning Your Private V Rising Game Into A Dedicated Server
Yes, it is possible to turn your private V Rising game into a Dedicated server. However, to do that you will have to follow the following steps:
- First, make a new server with a new save file name. After that, start the server.
- Now join the server and create a new character.
- Next, make your way to “save-data/Saves/v1/[your server’s save name]”. Now in this location delete all the files except the “SessionId.json” file.
- Furthermore, type “%Appdata%\..\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\Saves\v1” in your windows search tab. Here are located all your V Rising saves. To identify which one is required just open each folder”s “ServerHostSettings.json” file to look for the save name.
- Now that you have located the required file, just make a backup of these files, just in case. Next, copy-paste these files to the location of “save-data/Saves/v1/[your server’s save name]”. These will basically replace the files that you deleted.
- Now come back to “%Appdata%\..\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\Saves\v1”. From here copy “ServerGameSettings.json” and “ServerHostSettings.json” files.
- Now make your way to “%Appdata%\..\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRisingServer”. Here you will find a settings folder. If there is no settings folder then create one. Now, this folder and paste the two .json files.
Now, if you have followed the above steps correctly then you should be able to join the server. And you get to keep all your progress from the private world.
Well, we hope that you found the guide very detailed and informative as we tried our best to cover everything required to set up your own dedicated server and how to tweak its settings.
Players that have been playing multiplayer online games for a while may know that these types of games work on a server-based system. And V Rising is no exception. If you love blood-sucking vampire games then V Rising is the game for you.
It received 9/10 from Steam and 7/10 from IGN. V Rising is a Massive Multiplayer Online game that also follows the trend of servers. Well if you are new to V Rising then read V Rising Ultimate Guides for a better understanding of the game.