- Dredge has now topped over one million copies sold. The milestone was quite a surprise for the team; the initial expectations for the project were quite humble.
- It sold over 100,000 copies just in the first 24 hours after launching, which was the goal for the whole year.
- Black Salt Games is currently working on The Pale Reach expansion pack for Dredge. It is slated to release on November 16, 2023.
The popular indie hit Dredge has seemingly surpassed the massive one million milestone. The achievement has surprised the devs because the initial expectations were quite low. Game Developer learned about the milestone during an interview at PAX Australia, unveiling that Black Salt Games did not even consider approaching such a juncture during the game’s development.
We hoped to maybe sell 100,000 copies in our first year. That would have been amazing. That was a top estimate when we were setting our expectations. We smashed through those targets,” said producer Nadia Thorne.
To put things into perspective, the sales climbed the 100,000 goal only in the first 24 hours instead of a year. Dredge has been such a success that the devs have been able to pay off their debts and focus on securely supporting future expansions. As per the statement on the blog, the original goal was to cover the development costs in the first year after release. However, the goal was easily surpassed during the first month.
Other Interesting Reads:
- Sony Was Offered The FIFA License Back In The 90s But Rejected It.
- 2 Months After Release, Players Have Abandoned Overwatch 2’s PVE Mode.
- Dark And Darker Hit With DDoS Attack; Fans Frustrated As Game Becomes Unplayable.
To our delight, in just one month of pre-orders and a month of full release, we have sold five times the amount we initially aimed for. This not only covers the expenses incurred over the past 30 months of development but also ensures that we enter the upcoming years without any debt.”
Over 60 percent of the Dredge sales have been on PC, followed by PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox consoles. Black Salt Games initially considered that even selling a million copies in the whole year was a “crazy” target. The total number of sales has now exceeded over a million ever since the entry came out earlier this year, serving as a huge surprise to the devs.
It is an extraordinary position to be in and akin to finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.”
These massive milestones have allowed the team to pour their success and new resources into crafting the new DLC, The Pale Reach, for the Lovecraftian horror fishing simulator. The expansion is slated to release later this year on November 16, 2023. Dredge originally came out on March 30, 2023, for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series S, and PC.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍