In the sprawling adventure of Baldur’s Gate 3, players encounter the mysterious Arcane Barrier during the Auntie Ethel quest. This formidable obstacle, guarding the entrance to the next quest segment, and two legendary gear rewards, can be dismantled using the best spells or by navigating intricate control panels, setting the stage for a pivotal confrontation with Auntie Ethel.
What Is Arcane Barrier In Baldur’s Gate 3In Baldur’s Gate 3, the Arcane Barrier is an energy-based hurdle faced by players, notably within the quest involving Auntie Ethel that stops players from progressing to the next segment of the quest. To clear this barrier around the Arcane Tower, players must either damage the Arcane Cannons with spells like Eldritch Blast or find a way to turn them off via control panels.
Players embark on this quest to confront and ultimately defeat Auntie Ethel. One must obtain the Bitter Divorce Wand to bypass the barrier, though a known bug might prevent progress if certain actions are taken out of sequence.
How To Clear The Arcane Barrier In BG3?
To clear the Arcane Barrier in Baldur’s Gate 3, players must follow a series of steps:
- Start the Auntie Ethel Quest: This quest is pivotal as the barrier is encountered within its storyline.
- Confront Auntie Ethel: As the quest unfolds, players will interact with Auntie Ethel and Mayrina, and the narrative will require the rescue of Mayrina multiple times.
- Defeat Auntie Ethel: This is crucial as the barrier is linked to her presence. Some players have found success by causing her to plummet from the middle of the zone, though there are other ways to combat her using environmental elements and strategies.
- Obtain the Bitter Divorce Wand: Once Auntie Ethel is defeated, players must find the Bitter Divorce Wand. This item is essential as it allows players to pass through the Arcane Barrier and continue their quest.
To successfully bypass the Arcane Barrier around the Arcane Tower, players must either Use spells like the Eldritch Blast to damage the Arcane Cannons or find a way to access the Arcane Cannons’ control panels and deactivate them.
How To Defeat Auntie EthelAuntie Ethel in Baldur’s Gate 3, also known as the Old Hag, wields the best magics that can prove challenging to unprepared players. Given her capabilities, a multi-faceted strategy is advised. Before confronting Ethel, engage in conversation with Mayrina regarding Ethel’s dark deeds, particularly about her role in killing Mayrina’s brothers.
This dialogue will not only shed light on the narrative but also influence combat dynamics, such as Mayrina’s role and Ethel’s behaviors.
- One of the best strategies that I’d recommend is changing Wyll’s class to Arch Fey Warlock.
- This adjustment grants him the Fey Fire ability, which can counteract Ethel’s invisibility—a significant advantage, considering the hag’s propensity to vanish during combat.
Crowd control is vital, so you need to utilize spells such as:
- Ensnaring Strike: This will restrain Ethel, limiting her mobility.
- Grease: This can cause her to slip, making her prone.
- Frost: Useful for crowd control.
These spells help control the battlefield, preventing Ethel from executing her strategies smoothly. Also, I recommend you also coat melee weapons with Wyvern poison. The additional damage from the poison can chip away at Ethel’s health more efficiently in BG3. This will put you one step ahead in beating Auntie Ethel and clearing the arcane barrier in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Place a party member inside the fireplace. Since Ethel uses it as a teleportation point, having a character there can provide an opportunity for an immediate attack when she appears, potentially disrupting her actions and giving your party composition the upper hand.
This tactical placement can help players catch Ethel before she escapes to the lower levels, making the confrontation more manageable than in the confinements of the underground tunnel.
Baldur’s Gate 3’s environment can be used as a weapon. Some players suggest that defeating Ethel can be made easier by making her plummet from the zone’s center. While this requires precise positioning and timing, it’s a strategy worth considering.
Every player may have a unique party configuration, skills, and playstyle. While the above strategies are drawn from the text, experimentation with different approaches might yield even more efficient tactics for certain party compositions.
What Do You Get After Crossing The Arcane Barrier In BG3?
After you have successfully pulled off the long challenge required to get past the Arcane Barrier in Baldur’s Gate 3, you will get the two gear rewards waiting for you to collect. You will get the legendary staff called Markoheshkir, and a robe called Robe of the Weave.
|Damage||2 – 9|
|Damage Type||1d8 (1d6) + 1 Bludgeoning|
|Arcane Enchantment||+1 bonus to Spell Save DC and Spell Attack Rolls|
Arcane Battery – The next spell you cast doesn’t cost a spell slot
|Kereska’s Favour||Imbued with elemental energy|
|Main Hand Ability||Topple|
2. Robe of the Weave
|Arcane Enchantment||+1 bonus to Spell Save DC and spell attack rolls|
|Weave Eater Effect||Whenever the wearer succeeds in a Saving Throw against a spell, they regain 1d6 hit points|
Arcane Barrier Bug
Players may encounter an issue when they defeat Auntie Ethel before obtaining the Bitter Divorce Wand. Under these circumstances, players may find themselves unable to pass through the Arcane Barrier in Baldur’s Gate 3, hindering their quest progression. This bug seems to manifest because players kill Auntie Ethel without first informing Mayrina about Ethel’s past actions, particularly regarding the demise of Mayrina’s brothers.
In essence, if players attack Ethel without this critical conversation with Mayrina, Mayrina places blame on the player for the premature death of the hag and for her unsuccessful plan to resurrect her husband. Even if players have technically satisfied the condition to remove the barrier by defeating Ethel, Baldur’s Gate 3 does not recognize this action due to the missed conversation, and the barrier remains intact, effectively stalling the quest.
How to Fix the Arcane Barrier Bug
- Reload a Previous Save: If you find yourself stuck due to this bug, your best bet is to revert to an earlier save point—preferably one before the confrontation with Auntie Ethel.
- Prioritize Conversations with Mayrina: Before you engage with Ethel in combat, it’s crucial to speak with Mayrina about Ethel’s treacherous actions, especially the detail that Ethel is responsible for the deaths of her brothers.
- Proceed with the Quest: Once you’ve informed Mayrina of Ethel’s wrongdoings, you can proceed to defeat Auntie Ethel. With this order of events, the Arcane Barrier should dissipate, allowing you to continue your journey.
By adhering to this sequence of actions, players should be able to bypass the bug and successfully navigate the Auntie Ethel quest without being hindered by the Arcane Barrier. It underscores the importance of dialogue and choices in Baldur’s Gate 3, where the sequence of actions can have significant impacts on quest outcomes.
In conclusion, the Arcane Barrier, intertwined with the Auntie Ethel quest in Baldur’s Gate 3, underscores the game’s depth and intricate design. As players harness spells and strategy to surpass it, they’re reminded of the crucial role choices play, particularly when a single missed conversation can drastically alter the quest’s trajectory.
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Lightning Charges
- Baldur’s Gate 3: How To Get Helldusk Armor
- Baldur’s Gate 3: All Ritual Spells
- BG3: How To Get To Underdark Region
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍