Acrid is one of the 15 characters in Risk of Rain Returns. He has to be unlocked to play, and doing so is not so straightforward. That is why I have curated this guide to help you get Acrid character in Risk of Rain Returns and discuss the best items to use.
Who Is Acrid In Risk of Rain Returns?
Acrid is one of the few melee characters featured in Risk of Rain Returns.
His playstyle revolves around getting up close and personal with enemies and dealing huge melee damage, as well as his signature poison debuffs. These debuffs have the ability to deal a ton of damage over time and also have the ability to be stacked.
How To Unlock Acrid?
Acrid is unavailable to play from the beginning of Risk of Rain Returns. Only the Commando is at your disposal when you launch it for the first time. Fulfilling certain requirements unlocks Acrid, just like all the other characters. There’s nothing to be alarmed about. Before you unlock him, his character slot will say, “Free the chained creature“, as you can see from the image attached below.
To unlock Acrid in Risk of Rain Returns, you have first to find him in-game and then defeat him. He is the only character who you have to fight and win against in order to unlock. His cell is located in the Sunken Tombs level. Follow these steps to make sure you can find Acrid on the stage:
- A bit of luck comes into play when trying to get the Sunken Tombs level, as the stages randomize each run.
- You’ll only be spawned in the Sunken Tombs for the third level, so consider resetting your run if you don’t get this stage by the third level.
- Once you are in the Sunken Tombs, make your way toward the top right side of the map.
- Although the layout would differ a bit, you are almost certain to find his cell in the rightmost corner at the top.
- Prepare for a mini-boss fight and release Acrid from his cell.
- Acrid will be unleashed in a frenzy, and you’ll have to defeat him to fulfill the conditions.
- I would suggest using ranged abilities and characters since Acrid cannot deal damage to you if you keep your distance.
- His attack patterns aren’t that complex either, and you can easily make quick work of him.
- Once he is down, you will see an achievement for “Free the chained creature”.
- Once you finish your current run, Acrid will be ready for you to play.
Acrid Abilities In Risk of Rain Returns
Firstly, here are Acrid’s Stats in the game:
Following are the abilities at Acrid’s disposal right from the get-go:
Here are the details regarding Festering Wounds:
- This is the primary attack for Acrid.
- You can use it with the left mouse button or the Z button on the keyboard.
- Acrid slashes the enemy with his claws upon use, dealing 120% base damage.
- This poison tick damage deals 24% damage per second.
- This is extremely powerful and can help with crowd control.
- It has a cooldown of 0 seconds, meaning it can be used endlessly.
- It can be upgraded by killing Acrid in under 15 seconds.
Here are the details regarding Neurotoxin:
- This is the secondary ability for Acrid.
- You can use it with the right mouse button or the X button on the keyboard.
- Acrid shoots poisonous bile upon use toward the enemy, dealing 220% of the base damage.
- The stun lasts for 1 second.
- It has a cooldown of 3 seconds and cannot be spammed.
- It can be upgraded by completing the Providence Trial “Caustic Limb”, or by collecting 300 items as Acrid.
Here are the details regarding Caustic Sludge:
- This is the utility-type ability for Acrid.
- You can use it with the Shift or the C button on the keyboard.
- Upon use, Acrid secretes a toxic sludge for the duration of 2 seconds.
- This ability is perfect for getting out of tight situations and escaping with your life.
- It has a cooldown of 17 seconds.
- It can be upgraded by completing the Providence Trial “Uncontrolled Experiment“, or by defeating 3000 enemies as Acrid.
Here are the details regarding the Epidemic:
- This is Acrid’s Special ability.
- You can use it with the keyboard’s V or the R button.
- Acrid releases a fatal disease that poisons the enemies and deals 100% damage per second.
- The contagion spreads to 2 additional targets after 1 second.
- It has a cooldown of 11 seconds.
Best Items For Acrid In Risk of Rain Returns
Now, let’s go over the items for Acrid that aid him the most. These include items that have a synergy with Acrid’s playstyle and allow you to shred through your enemies. Here are the items I recommend, in no particular order:
- Monster Tooth
- Soldier’s Syringe
- Hopoo Feather
- Burning Witness
My Thoughts On Acrid In Risk of Rain Returns
After playing with Acrid for a couple of runs, I can honestly say that it is very fun to play with him. Although, it is worth noticing that the melee playstyle of Acrid is something that isn’t for everyone.
Was this guide helpful? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below!
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍