- SEGA’s latest fiscal year reports the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise sold over 1.66 billion units globally.
- These sales figures include pachinko and amusement machines, movies, and toys.
- These sales surged by 150 million compared to last year.
SEGA’s latest fiscal year report reveals that the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise has achieved remarkable global sales of over 1.66 billion units worldwide (page 16), including various mediums such as pachinko and amusement machines, movies, and toys. Compared to the previous fiscal year report, the Blue Blur saw a massive increase of 150 million in sales.
Since its introduction in 1991, the Sonic franchise has become a global phenomenon and spawned multiple TV shows, movies, and of course, games. During the console wars between SEGA and Nintendo, Sonic even gave Mario a run for his gold coins. Along the thirty-year journey, the world’s fastest hedgehog crashed into a few spikes but got back on the right track thanks to the amazing reception of Sonic Frontiers.
Additionally, mobile games like Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces: Speed Battle contribute to the franchise’s 1.66 billion units, with Sonic Dash surpassing 500 million downloads. Sonic Forces: Speed Battle has also achieved over 94 million downloads. Notably, Google Play store badges gave Sonic Dash a 100 million+ downloads badge and Sonic Forces and other titles a 50+ million downloads icon.
Moreover, the two live-action movies have achieved a remarkable global box office revenue of over $723.1 million, effectively breaking the curse that plagued video game adaptations. The overwhelming success of these films has paved the way for a Knuckles spinoff series and the highly anticipated development of a third movie installment.
- SEGA Hasn’t Given Up On Competing Against Mario With Sonic
- Sonic Team Head Says Pixel Art Will Not Be A “Viable Art Style” In The Near Future
- Sonic Frontiers’ Last Update The Final Horizon Released With New Story, Playable Characters
With the Sonic franchise expanding across various mediums, it is only a matter of time before the beloved fastest thing alive surpasses the remarkable milestone of 2 billion units in sales.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍