- According to a recent tweet, Tekken 8 closed network test consisted of an alleged 8.5% Xbox players.
- Of the 77,853 participants, only 6,627 were on Xbox Series X|S consoles.
- Considering the massive lead other consoles have over Xbox in the Japanese market, it wouldn’t be a surprise if it turned out to be true.
- People believe that Asian, more specifically, Japanese consumers tend to trust Japanese companies more than Western brands, which could be why Xbox failed to succeed in the Japanese gaming industry.
A recent tweet has revealed that only 8.5% of the players in Tekken 8’s closed network test were allegedly on Xbox consoles. In contrast, PlayStation 5 had 43,721 players, while the Steam version had 27,505 players. There is a stark discrepancy between the number of Xbox players and other platforms, showing how Asian and Japanese consumers still avoid the Western brand.
This is the reality of the state of Japanese fighters on Xbox. Even PC has more players.
— Japan Hates Xbox (@WelfarePasser) August 5, 2023
Xbox has found little to no success in the Japanese market, which was admitted by Microsoft, who stated that PlayStation has a 24-1 lead in Japan. Although people would say this is due to xenophobia, various factors must be considered. First, Japanese consumers have always trusted Japanese brands over Western brands, as the former is more rooted in Japanese culture.
It is a big reason why Nintendo and PlayStation have found vast success in Asia, specifically the Japanese gaming sector. Many gamers also think Japan hates Xbox because the letter X is taboo in the country, and the products are considered bad. In that context, “hate” is a very strong word, and we cannot assume that to be the case without concrete evidence.
- Tekken 8’s Closed Network Test Codes Are Being Sold On eBay
- New Tekken 8 Character Roster Leak Reveals 38 Playable Characters
- Tekken 8 Closed Network Test Will Allegedly Hog Over 13 GB Space On PS5
Even though much of this was already known, it shows that Tekken 8 will likely suffer in the Asian and Japanese markets on Xbox consoles. While such data cannot be generalized to an entire global population, it should still make a dent considering how fighting games are extremely popular in Asia, and the developer, Bandai Namco, is a Japanese publisher.
Tekken 8 is an upcoming fighting game developed by Arika and Bandai Namco Studios and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. As the name implies, it is the eighth game in the main series and is scheduled to release for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Windows at an unknown date.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍