Whether you are just starting out or you’re in the late game, you need to know what mutations are to get the most benefits from them. So here’s everything you need to know about Mutations in Grounded. If you want to know the Best Mutations check out our Mutations Tier List.
- Mutations act like perks that give you special effects, there are about 35 of them in Grounded that players can wish to unlock.
- You can unlock and upgrade most mutations, but some can not be upgraded, and some can only be bought.
- Knowing what each one does and using them for the right occasion is key in the game.
- Unlockable mutations are unlocked by performing repeated tasks and discovering new areas.
- You can Buy Mutation with Raw Science.
What Are Mutation?Mutations act like perks or skills in the game. They allow you to gain special buffs that make your character more effective in certain situations and make specific tools more effective. Most of the Mutations in the are unlockable by just playing the game, but you are going to have to put in some extra effort to gain some of these. A very limited few are even purchasable, so you can buy them if you save up enough.
Mutations were introduced into the game in the Early Access update. They were an interesting new mechanic and made the game more exciting. You can unlock Mutations by even killing creatures in the game, but for some Mutations, killing harmless critters doesn’t count.
You get 2 mutation slots when you first start out the game but don’t worry, and these are upgradable to five with Milk Molars. Having 5 slots seems like a lot, but there are a total of 33 Mutations in the game. With the ability to have five Mutations active at the same time, you can combine them to have the most powerful combo for your current objective. You have complete freedom to switch out Mutations whenever you desire if you are not in combat.
Most of the Mutations that are in Grounded are upgradeable. The upgrades are divided into phases, and each phase requires a task to be completed a specific number of times to move on to the next one. Each upgrade increases the effectiveness of your mutation and makes you even stronger in the long run, so we recommend you focus on upgrades.
Mutations are an important part of Grounded. They can help you survive longer, become stronger, or have an easier time doing those boring, repetitive tasks. Mutations are an essential part of the game, and without learning what they do or how to get them, you will have a hard time completing the game.
As previously mentioned, there are two ways to get mutations, by purchasing them. You can unlock your mutations mostly by killing certain creatures with certain tools, discovering objectives, and completing tasks a specific number of times. If you’re a new player, you would want to focus on unlocking mutations as mutations are upgradeable and will take time to complete requirements.
Lil FistsIn Grounded you start out with nothing but your wisdom and your fists. You can use your fists to fight with the creatures in your backyard, but it’s not very effective. Lil Fist gives you a fighting chance against the enemy; with Lil Fists mutation activated, you have a chance to deal bonus damage to the bugs and insects you are up against. The effects of Lil Fists stack infinitely, so the longer the fight goes on, the more damage you do.
- First Phase: Unarmed attack damage increased by 25 percent
- Second Phase: Unarmed attack damage increased by 50 percent
- Third Phase: Unarmed attack damage increased by 75 percent
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with fists
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with fists
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with fists
ChopperWhen you’re not using your fist, you will like to use a tool or a weapon to give you the upper hand in your duels. One such weapon is the axe, and with the Mutation on, you have a chance at staggering your opponent. Stagger stops the enemy in its tracks and cancels any attack they are preparing to launch. This can be of use when the enemy charging its attack or trying to get away.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with an axe
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with an axe
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with an axe
SmasherAnother tool you can utilize to bash in the skull of your enemies is the hammer. The hammer smashing on their heads sends the enemy into a state of concussion and dazes the enemy. While dazed, the attack speed of the enemy is reduced, so you can just keep smashing away. The ability to daze really comes in handy when facing enemies with a fast attack speed than you, so with Smasher, you can level the playing field.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a hammer
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a hammer
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a hammer
Grounded allows you to throw whatever weapon is currently in your hand, so you can attack enemies from afar but act carefully cause now your weapon is attached to the enemy. One of the best weapons to use for long-range attacks is the spear. With Javelineer Mutationyou can pierce through the enemy’s defense, making them weaker for your next attack, and in return, the spears do more damage. Impaling is great if you want to take out enemies from afar or snipe an enemy who’s getting away.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a spear
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a spear
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a spear
AssassinIf daggers are your preferred weapon of choice, then you’re going to love the Assassin Mutation. With the Assassin Mutation, you become skilled in the knife arts and can inflict pain on your enemies. Assassin Mutation gives your knife attacks to bleed the enemy; bleed effect is similar to the poison effect cause it damages the target over time. You can use the bleed effect to damage the enemy while you take cover, heal, and get back in the fight.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a dagger
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a dagger
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a dagger
SharpshooterNot everyone prefers close combat. Maybe you are a player who likes to snipe enemies from afar. Sharpshooters can aim you in your quest to shoot down your foes and root them to the ground. Rooted targets can no longer move for a short duration, so you can easily get a few shots off without having to aim or run around. Root also helps stop enemies dead in their tracks, giving you an opportunity to gain some distance if you are in low health.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a Bow or Crossbow
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a Bow or Crossbow
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a Bow or Crossbow
BarbarianMaybe close-range combat is your thing, and you like to get in the enemy’s face and clumber them. Barbarian Mutation allows you to go full caveman on your enemies and enter a fit of rage. While you are enraged, you deal bonus damage, but you have a tougher time blocking attacks with the desynchronized block timing. Rage gives you a chance to take on bigger foes and demolish your targets faster.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a Club
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a Club
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a Club
BlademasterWhile using a skillful weapon such as a sword, you lose quite a lot of stamina when doing combo attacks. But do not worry with the Blademaster Mutation each combo attack reduces the stamina cost of the following. Blademaster truly makes you an adequate Swordman and allows you to land combo after combo on your target. With the Mutation activated you can take on much bigger foes.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a Sword
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a Sword
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a Sword
Whittle WizardOne of the unique weapons in the game is the Candy Stave and boy does it come with its special perks. With the Whittle Wizard Mutation, your culinary skills reach new limits and you unlock some spicy secrets. There are three types of attacks, Minty, Sour, and Spicy and each of these has a debuff that it can apply to the Enemy.
Mitty attacks can put a slow effect on the enemy decreasing their mobility and making them easier to hit and catch. Sour attacks have a chance to Stun enemies, giving you the advantage and getting in some hits. Spicy attacks can put a burn debuff on the enemy that damages the enemy over time.
- First Phase: Eliminate 40 hostile creatures with a Candy Stave
- Second Phase: Eliminate 100 Hostile creatures with a Candy Stave
- Third Phase: Eliminate 200 hostile creatures with a Candy Stave
Block is an important part of any duel, blocking the enemy’s attack at the perfect time allows you to stay on your feet without missing a beat. Parry Master Mutation makes your perfect block even stronger by replenishing your stamina. Parry Master allows you to have more stamina for combos and run around. So focus on blocking your enemy’s attack; if the timing is right, you’ll be the better fighter.
- First Phase: Block 20 times perfectly
- Second Phase: Block 60 times perfectly
- Third Phase: Block 100 times perfectly
Grass MasterGrassmaster is one of the Mutations in the game that you get by just playing the game, but it’s still one of the most useful ones. Cutting grass is a repetitive part of the game and can get boring at times but with the Grass Master Mutation, you don’t need to fear it anymore. Grassmaster allows you to become a skilled gardener increasing your chopping efficiency with each phase and even restoring the stamina lost while performing the act. Making cutting grass a walk in the park.
- First Phase: Chopping efficiency increased by 25 percent
- Second Phase: Chopping efficiency increased by 50 percent
- Third Phace: Chopping efficiency increased by 100 percent
- Replenishes lost stamina
- First Phase: Cut 50 blades of grass
- Second Phase: Cut 200 blades of grass
- Third Phase: Cut 500 blades of grass
Rock CrackerMining rocks is as essential as eating food to progress your objectives in the game. With the Rock Cracker Mutation activated you become an insatiable miner and become a living jackhammer. Rock Cracker gives you an efficiency boost while mining for stone. As you mine those rocks it gets easier and easier to upgrade to the next phase of the mutation.
- Phase: Mining efficiency increased by 25 percent
- Phase: Mining efficiency increased by 50 percent
- Phase: Mining efficiency increased by 100 percent
- First Phase: Mine 25 rocks
- Second Phase: Mine 75 rocks
- Third Phase: Mine 100 rocks
Ant-nihilatorAnts are an annoying threat in the game which you will have to fight and eliminate for your survival. With the Ant-nihilator Mutations a path of destruction is left in your wake and all ants who are foolish enough to face you, feel your wraith. Ant-nihilator, at first, increases damage output against all ants including the Mant, but as you upgrade and reach the Third Phase you also take less damage from ant attacks. You become an ant-killing machine and all ants shall fear you.
- Phase: damage increased by 25 percent against ants
- Phase: damage increased by 50 percent against ants
- Phase: damage increased by 75 percent against ants and 10 percent damage resistance
- First Phase: Eliminates 50 Ants (Black Ants, Fire Ants, or Red Ants)
- Second Phase: Eliminates 1-0 Ants (Black Ants, Fire Ants, or Red Ants)
- Third Phase: Eliminates 150 Ants (Black Ants, Fire Ants, or Red Ants)
Coup de GrassThe Coup de Grass Mutation increases your luck and gives you a chase to deal critical hits. Coup de Grass mutation is a little different from others, it has only two phases and these can be unlocked in any order since their requirements are not linear. With Coup de Grass you can deal extra damage to your foes and win more fights.
- First Phase: Critical hit damage increased by 25 percent
- Second Phase: Critical hit damage increased by 50 percent
- Third Phase: Critical hit damage increased by 75 percent
- First Phase: Reach the 4 Leaf Clover Landmark
- Second Phase: At the conclusion of the Minotaur Maze, roll a 20 on the 20-sided dice
JuicyThirst is a mechanic in the game that require you to quench your thirst and if you are unable to do so it results in taking damage over time. Juicy allows you to survive without water longer and reduces your thirst 50 percent slower. This can be useful when you are out exploring or on a mission and run out of drinkables.
Juicy is a little different from other Mutations and only has one phase. It’s pretty easy to unlock if you have a knack for exploring and drinking juice.
- 50 percent slower thirst
- Find all 5 juice boxes
Natural ExplorerExploring is a big part of Grounded, you can discover so much and have unique experiences you never imagined in your own backyard. When you stumble upon a new landmark it’s always a great opportunity to find new things. Running around can seem a bit slow at times, but as you find new places you are able to unlock the Natural Explorer Mutation.
Natural Explorer Mutation allows you have increased sprint speed allowing you to sprint across the map fast. The Ability has 3 phase and the speed increase with each phase.
- First Phase: Sprint Speed increased by 3 percent
- Second Phase: Sprint Speed increased by 6 percent
- Third Phase: Sprint Speed increased by 10 percent
- First Phase: Find 20 Landmarks
- Second Phase: Find 50 Landmarks
- Third Phase: Find 90 Landmarks
MerteenSwimming is a fun part of the game and you can discover a lot of new things when underwater, but it’s a little hard to breathe down there. But the Merteen Mutation is here to help, when activated you will have increased oxygen time underwater and also increase movement speed underwater. Merteen only has 1 phase and is relatively easy to unlock.
- Oxygen time underwater increased by 10 percent
- Swim Speed increased by 15 percent
- Uncover 3 Underwater Landmarks
Cardio FanWhile playing Grounded you will be running around a lot since that’s your primary mode of travel. Sprinting exhausts your stamina bar and you slow down for a few moments until is filled and you can start running again. Cardio Fan mutation helps you adapt better to exhaustion and you can regen your stamina faster. The Mutation has 3 phases allowing you to become a better runner as the game goes on.
- First Phase: Stamina regen increases by 25 percentmmljml
- Second Phase: Stamina regen increases by 50 percent
- Third Phase: Stamina regen increases by 75 percent
- Also, the exhaustion time is decreased
- First Phase: Exhaust your teen 100 times
- Second Phase: Exhaust your teen 250 times
- Third Phase: Exhaust your teen 500 times
Reliable FriendGrounded is a game you can play with your friends as well and a friend in need is a friend indeed. You can use Reliable Friend Mutation to revive your friends fast and get them back in the game. You will want to have Reliable Friend ready in team fights and if your friend is on low health and might get downed.
- First Phase: Revives friends 25 percent faster
- Second Phase: Revives friends 50 percent faster
- Third Phase: Revives friends 75 percent faster
- First Phase: Revive friends 5 times
- Second Phase: Revive friends 15 times
- Third Phase: Revive friends 30 times
Fresh DefenseFights are a common occurrence in the game and you will want to have the best possible defense when fighting foes. Some enemies can burn you or release poison gas that damages you over time. Those effects are dulled by the Fresh Defense Mutation, increasing your resistance to burn and poison gas. You will want to activate the mutation when going up against foes who have poison and burn attacks.
- First Phase: 25 percent burn, sizzle, and poison gas resistance
- Second Phase: 50 percent burn, sizzle, and poison gas resistance
- Third Phase: 75 percent burn, sizzle, and poison gas resistance
- First Phase: Swallow 1 Mint Shard
- Second Phase: Swallow 5 Mint Shard
- Third Phase: Swallow 10 Mint Shard
Spicy SafetySimilar to the Fresh Defense another great defense to have in your back pocket is the Spicy Safety Mutation. With this Mutation, your skin thickens and you are more durable. You take less damage when stabbed or smashed, which makes you more powerful against certain enemies with those attacks. Spicy Safety also gives you some resistance against explosions and protects you if you get caught in the flames.
- First Phase: Swallow 1 Spicy Shard.
- Second Phase: Swallow 5 Spicy Shards.
Mom GenesOne of the mechanics that keeps the game interesting is the summoning mechanic, Players have a chance to summon certain creatures with particular Mutations. With Mom Genes, your attacks have a chance to magically summon a spiderling that will fight by your side. Mom Genes can come in handy to distract enemies and get in some hits while the spiderling takes damage for you. Mom Genes Mutation has no upgrades.
- Eliminate the Hedge Broodmother
MithridatismGrounded has many creatures and some of these creatures like spiders can put a poison debuff on you. Mithridtism gives you bonus resistance to these poison debuffs so you take less damage. With the Mithridatism Mutation, you will have an easier time dealing with foes with poison attacks and the spiders will fear you.
- First Phase: 25 percent poison damage resistance
- Second Phase: 50 percent poison damage resistance
- Third Phase: 75 percent poison damage resistance
- First Phase: Eliminate 1 Wolf Spider
- Second Phase: Eliminate 5 Wolf Spiders
- Third Phase: Eliminate 10 Wolf Spiders
Truffle Tussle:Another Mutation that twists your unarmed attacks is the Truffle Tussle. The Truffle Tussle can create an explosion that damages all foes caught in the blast zone. So if you are unarmed and fighting against a hoard of Lawn Mites this helps you out. Truffle Tussle does not have upgrades.
- Eliminate the Effect Ladybug located at Haze Labs
Guard DogThere are particular events in Grounded that require you to fight hoards of insects and guard a point. It can be slightly hard and terrifying to go up against waves of enemies. But the Guard Dog Mutation comes in clutch and gives you bonus damage to mow down your enemies. Guard Dog Mutation only works during Factional Raids and MIX.Rs.
- First Phase: Finish 1 MIX.R
- Second Phase: Finish 3 MIX.Rs
- Third Phase: Finish 6 MIX.Rs
Trapper PEEP.RAs you continue facing foes each tougher than the last, you need some extra damage. Trapper PEEP.R increase the damage of your critical attack, making them even deadlier. The Mutation has 3 phases and each phase increases the percentage at which your attacks deal damage. Activate Trapper PEEP.R in fights against Foes that have bigger health bars and see them crumble.
- First Phase: Increases damage of critical hits by 25 percent
- Second Phase: Increases damage of critical hits by 50 percent
- Third Phase: Increases damage of critical hits by 75 percent
- First Phase: Acquire 1 Golden Card
- Second Phase: Acquire 3 Golden Cards
- Third Phase: Acquire 5 Golden Cards
Mantsterious StrangerOne of the strongest summons in the game is the Mant summon. Your attacks have a chance to summon a Mant that will fight for you for a brief duration before eventually dying. The Mant is one of the bosses in Grounded so it’s an incredible feeling to have a boss fight for you. Now you can take down enemies with a friend until he dies.
- Defeat the Mant.
Become the teen of your backyard, after defeating some of the bosses you can craft weapons with the blood and bones of your enemy. But this Mutation Unlocks the weapon’s full powers. Apex Predator increases the poison effect of Club of the Mother Demon and deals bonus damage to all who stand in your way. Not only that but it also gives you bonus attack speed when you are using Scythe of Blossoms so you reap the souls of your enemies faster.
- Slay the Mantis
Corporate KickbackCorporate Kickback Mutation enchants your blocks to gain you the ability to restore some of your lost health on your next attack. The Lifesteal ability lets replenish some of your health allowing you to stay in the battle longer. Those extra health points can come in clutch when both you and the enemy are on low health. The mutation has no upgrades so you can just unlock it once and slay those beasts.
- The attack following a block has a chance to lifesteal.
- Eliminate the Director Schmector
Shocking DismissalThe last upgrade you can give your blocks is with the Shocking Dismissal Mutation. When you have Shocking Dismissal activated it gives you the opportunity to convert the following melee attack into an AOE attack. The attack shocks and damage all enemies caught in its radius. Shocking Dismissal has no upgrades similar to Corporate Kickback and using these attacks together can be a dangerous combo.
- After a block, you have a chance to perform an AOE electric shock attack.
Unlike unlockable Mutations, purchasable Mutations can not be unlocked through normal gameplay and require you to save up for them and purchase them. These Mutations can not be upgraded and only have one phase. Purchasable mutations change the base stats of the player and provide you with things like extra max health. One neat thing about these mutations is that if you’re playing with a friend you only will get the mutation if the owner of the world has bought it. There are only 3 upgradable Mutations in the game and can be bought from BURG.L if you have the required amount of Raw Science.
Meat ShieldThe Meat Shield Mutation gives your teen an extra boost in max health and makes him a human shield. With the max health, you can challenge foes who were giving you a problem and tank hits like a boss. Meat Shield is really important in battle or exploring the backyard and could be the difference between life and death. Whether it is early game, mid-game, or late game, the Meat Shield buff is a must-have in combat.
- Meat Shield adds 30 points to your Max Health.
- Requires 3000 Raw Science
Buff LungsAs previously mentioned, stamina is an important part of the game, and you will need it to play the game as efficiently as possible. Buff Lungs Mutation gives you increased stamina. It is really useful if you play solo and focus on melee-heavy gameplay. Buff Lung is more of a situational Mutation, not one you would want all the time but it has its perks and can be useful.
- You receive 50 extra stamina points.
- Requires 3000 Raw Science
- Discover Red Anthill BURG.L Chip
DaredevilThe last purchasable Mutation is the Daredevil Mutation. Daredevil Mutation makes the character light as a feather, and in return, the player takes less damage. Not only that, but if a player falls from a height that would most certainly kill them, they are spared and left with one HP. The reason this is not very useful is that falling from heights is quite rare in the game, and you won’t be using it much. But it can still be useful in missions where you are climbing the picnic table or running around your base.
- You receive 50 percent less fall damage
- Requires 3000 Raw Science
- Discover Hedge BURG.L Chip
Next: How To Repair Tools & Structures
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍