Equipping the best armor in Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is a crucial part of your journey across Hyrule. Different armor sets provide unique advantages and attributes, enabling Link to survive various environmental conditions and enhancing his combat efficiency. By utilizing the right armor set, you’ll be prepared for any challenge, be it fighting formidable foes or exploring treacherous terrains, so here’s a list of my choices.
- Author’s Note: Having spent dozens of hours in Tears of the Kingdom, you can trust my judgment about the best armor.
My Picks For Tears of the Kingdom Best Armor Sets
Here is a breakdown for all 15 armor sets, how to get them & the best usage for each one of the sets in Tears of the Kingdom:
|How to Get
|Yiga Clan Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Yiga Disguise
|Visit regions of Akkala, the Great Plateau, and Maritta to fetch the Yiga Armor after fending off Yiga Ninja ambushes.
|Flamebreaker Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Heat Resistance
|Purchase at Armor Shop in Goron City.
|Soldier's Armor Set
|Navigate to Hyrule Castle's Royal Hidden Passage.
|Snowquill Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Cold Resistance
|Purchase at the Brazen Beak in Rito Village.
|Miner's Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Depths Exploration
|Illuminate Dark Areas
|Visit distinct locations in the depths of Hyrule.
|Barbarian Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Boss Battles
|Raise Attack Power
|Embark on the Misko's Treasure side quest or directly venture into three separate caves.
|Phantom Armor Set
|The Highest Base Defense In The Game
|Enhance Attack Power
|Explore certain areas in the Farron and Gerudo regions.
|Froggy Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Rain Climbing
|Boost Slip Resistance
|Complete the Potential Princess Sightings quest by speaking with Traysi at the Lucky Clover Gazette.
|Frostbite Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Cold Dmg
|Boost Attack Power in Cold Weather
|Traverse snowy landscapes of Tabantha Frontier and Hebra Mountains.
|Zora Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Efficient Swimming
|Enhance Swimming Speed
|Follow the main storyline to reach Zora's Domain, and then complete multiple quests.
|Climber Gear Set
|The Best Armor For Climbing Long Distances
|Enhance Climbing Speed
|Visit various locations across Hyrule.
|Glide Armor Set
|The Best Armor For No Fall Dmg
|Enhance Aerial Mobility
|Visit Valor, Courage, and Bravery islands and complete Zonai Construct challenges.
|Armor of the Wind Set
|The Best Armor For Nostalgia
|Use a Toon Link amiibo or venture to the Depths to find each piece of the armor.
|Ember Armor Set
|The Best Armor For Fire Dmg
|Enhance Attack in Warm Climates
|Visit YunoboCo HQ South Cave for Ember Headdress, Goronbi River Cave for Ember Shirt, and Cephla Lake Cave for Ember Trousers.
|Zonaite Armor Set
|The Best And Most Versatile Armor In The Game
|Enhance Energy Efficiency
|Visit the Sky Islands to find each piece of the armor.
15. Yiga Clan Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Yiga Clan Armor is an ideal choice for stealthy approaches and safely roaming among Yiga enemies.
|Great plateau, Akala ancient tech lab, Maritta branch
The Yiga Clan Armor Set is a stealth-enhancing gear collection & is probably the Tears of the Kingdom best armor under the stealth category. It comprises the Yiga Armor, Yiga Mask, and Yiga Tights outfit, each boosting your stealth skills, giving Link the ability to resemble a Yiga Ninja.
If you want a more good-looking armor set, then I suggest using the Stealth Set. It has the same stealth buff with higher defenses to this armor but you can’t go to the Yiga clan with this.
- Very helpful for stealthy approaches.
- The yiga enemies won’t attack you in the set.
- Doesn’t provide that many defenses.
- Some of the NPCs would take you as a villain.
14. Flamebreaker Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: Ideal for traversing volcanic and hot-weather areas with minimal negative effects.
|Bought from Armor shop in Goron City
The Flamebreaker Armor Set, a mainstay in Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, offers Link invaluable protection against fiery environments. Comprised of the Flamebreaker Helm, Armor, and Boots, the set is an essential defense against scorching hazards. I’ve never ventured into a volcanic region without it, you shouldn’t either.
- Best armor for traversal of volcanic areas.
- Has great overall defenses.
- Very difficult to reach the shop without heat-resistant potions.
- The full set is very expensive to buy (3,300).
13. Soldier’s Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: Provides solid defenses and can tank attacks effectively, and is also easy to upgrade, thus earning its place in my list.
|Royal Hidden Passage
The Soldier’s Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a three-piece ensemble offering a significant base defense boost. Comprising the Soldier’s Helm, Armor, and Greaves, this set is a sturdy choice for daring adventurers.
If you want a similar armor to Soldier’s armor with a better design and the same defenses, then I recommend the Royal Guard Set. It has a Charged ATK stamina consumption buff and a better aesthetic.
- Has very good base and overall defenses.
- The upgrade materials are not that difficult to get.
- Doesn’t provide any passive other than defenses.
- Cannot be acquired early on.
12. Snowquill Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: Snowquill Armor is perfect for navigating cold-weather areas without worrying about freezing.
|Rito Village Armor shop
The Snowquill Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a winter-friendly kit. Comprising the Snowquill Headdress, Tunic, and Trousers, it provides cold resistance and safeguards Link from freezing during icy encounters. It never left my side when exploring the freezing environments.
- Very handy for traveling in cold areas.
- Can be used for defense purposes too.
- Difficult to reach the shop without potions.
- Low base defense, needs to be upgraded.
11. Miner’s Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Glow ability makes it an asset in exploring the dark environments of the Depths.
|Abandoned Kara Kara Mine, Daphne’s Canyon Mine
The Miner’s Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a three-piece ensemble consisting of the Miner’s Mask, Top, and Trousers. It’s prized for the unique glow effect it generates around Link, illuminating even the darkest corners.
If you are having trouble trying to find this set, then be assured that you can always use Brightbloom Seeds to light your way. You can also fuse Star Fragments to your equipment for a light source.
- Best for traversing dark areas like The Depths.
- Good during climbing in pitch black.
- They have low-base defenses and are not worth the upgrade.
- Can be difficult to acquire.
10. Barbarian Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The raw attack power is very valuable in dealing with stronger opponents, making this a worthwhile pick.
|Robred Dropoff Cave, Crenel Hills Cave, Walnot Mountain Cave
The Barbarian Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom comprises of three pieces: the Barbarian Helm, Armor, and Legwraps. Known to raise attack power, this set was worn by a warlike tribe from the Faron region, symbolizing their fierce spirit. I’ve always sported this armor when taking on the many horrors of Hyrule.
- Best for fighting tough oponents.
- Easy to get and remains good for most situations.
- Low base defense and needs to be upgraded.
- The upgrade materials include difficult enemy drops.
9. Phantom Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Phantom Armor combines both defensive and offensive stats, making it a good choice for balanced play.
|Puffer Beach Overhead Cave, Tamio River Downstream Cave, Ancient Altar Ruins
The Phantom Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a three-piece armor set, including the Phantom Helmet, Armor, and Greaves. This powerful set is known for enhancing the attack power of the wearer, allowing them to deal increased damage to enemies & bosses. In my experience, this has to be the most well-balanced set for both attack and defense.
- Increased dmg buff, very helpful in combat.
- Has the highest base defense in the game.
- Can not be upgraded for more defenses.
- No set bonus and tedious to get.
8. Froggy Armor
- Why I Chose This: The enhanced Slip resistance is very valuable in traversing terrains during rainy weather.
|Froggy Set is a quest reward for doing all of Penn’s Side Adventures.
The Froggy Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a distinctive three-piece set that consists of the Froggy Hood, Sleeve, and Leggings. Unique for its perk of boosting slip resistance, this armor set notably prevents Link from slipping while climbing in the rain.
- Very helpful for climbing during rain.
- By wearing a full set, you can never slip.
- Requires completion of a quest line.
- Does not provide slip resistance during jumping.
7. Frostbite Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Frostbite Armor allows you to turn the cold weather into a weapon, making it a great pick.
|Cold Weather Attack
|Lake Kilsie Cave, Bright Cap Cave, Hebra Headspring Cave
The Frostbite Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an intriguing three-piece set comprising the Frostbite Headdress, Shirt, and Trousers. Its key feature is the perk of boosting attack power in cold weather, which dovetails with a unique set bonus of faster charge attacks in cold conditions, coupled with an ice blast during these attacks. I’ve had a ton of fun blasting enemies with it.
- Exceptionaly boosts the attack power in cold weather.
- Faster charge attacks and ice blast during attacks in cold climate.
- 3 set pieces are hidden in 3 different caves.
- The armor does not provide cold protection.
6. Zora Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Zora Armor is a necessity to explore watery environements more efficiently.
|Swim Speed Up
|Zora’s domain, Ancient Zora’s Waterwork, Floating Scales Island
The Zora Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a versatile three-piece ensemble that includes the Zora Helm, Armor, and Greaves. Its primary perk is enhancing swimming speed, a critical skill in traversing Hyrule’s aquatic environments, with a bonus that lowers stamina drain during water dashes.
- Enhances swimming speed, efficient for crossing long rivers.
- Also reduces stamina consumption during swimming.
- Getting the whole armor is unlocked behind a quest line.
- Need to complete the Water Temple first.
5. Climber Gear Set
- Why I Chose This: The Climber Gear is an ally of every explorer looking to reach the summit of a landscape, thus it’s an important entry on my list.
|Climb speed up
|Ploymus Mountain Cave, North Hyrule Plain Cave, Upland Zorana Byroad
The Climber Gear Set, part of the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game, is a unique trio of the best items: the Climber’s Bandana, Climbing Gear, and Climbing Boots. These enhance your climbing speed, providing an edge in Tears of the Kingdom’s vertical exploration. Whenever I wished to climb the tallest of peaks, the Climber’s Gear had my back.
- Increases the speed of climbing, making vertical exploration easy.
- Decreases the stamina cost of climbing by 50% at upgrade 2.
- Does not provide resistance to slip during rain.
- Easily replaceable once you upgrade your stamina.
4. Glide Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Glide Armor Set’s enhanced aerial mobility and no fall damage make it an ideal choice for taking to the sky.
|Skydive Mobility Up
|Bravery Island, Courage Island, Valor Island
In the world of Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, the Glide Armor Set is a trio comprising the Glide Mask, Glide Shirt, and Glide Tights. This set is all about enhancing your aerial mobility and negating stamina consumption during flight, making the vast skies of Hyrule your playground.
- Increases aerial mobility, and reduces stamina consumption for flight.
- Provides complete immunity to fall dmg at upgrade 2.
- Very low defense, only suitable for gliding.
- Not necessary to upgrade above 2 as no bonus is provided.
3. Armor of the Wind Set
- Why I Chose This: The heartwarming trip down memory lane is enough to earn this Set a position on my list.
The Armor of the Wind Set, inspired by the legendary sea-traveling hero, Toon Link, is a delightful throwback in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It includes the Cap of the Wind, Tunic of the Wind, and Trousers of the Wind, bestowing an Attack Up bonus to its wearer. I’m a sucker for nostalgia, and this was the most charming armor set for me.
- Provides Attack Up bonus with all 3 pieces.
- Good maximum defense of 60.
- Can be obtained through Amiibo or in Depths.
- Provides no extra set bonus except Attack Up.
2. Ember Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The Ember Armor can make short work of enemies weak to fire dmg, especially in hot weather.
|Hot weather Attack
|YunoboCo HQ South Cave, Goronbi River Cave, Cephla Lake Cave
The Ember Armor Set in Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an essential companion in hot environments. Comprising of Ember Headdress, Ember Shirt, and Ember Trousers, this set amplifies your attack in warm climates while providing you with a fiery finishing move for your combos.
- Increases attack power in hot climates.
- Further provides a fire attack move at the end of combos.
- Does not provide resistance to heat.
- Increases stamina drain at upgrade 2.
1. Zonaite Armor Set
- Why I Chose This: The energy efficiency of Zonaite Armor opens endless possibilities and makes it the best set in Tears of the Kingdom.
|Light Cast Island, Yansamin Shrine, Sky Mine
The Zonaite Armor Set is by far Tears of the Kingdom best armor; no comparison whatsoever. It is a distinct ensemble that includes the Zonaite Helm, Waistguard, and Shin Guards. This special armor enhances energy efficiency when using Zonai devices, with a bonus that doubles Energy Cells recharge speed. I know I’ve spent endless hours having fun with its energy bonuses, it’s just that entertaining.
- Improves the efficiency of Zonai devices.
- Comes with the high maximum defense of 84.
- Very difficult to obtain in early game.
- Upgrade materials are somewhat difficult to obtain.
Other Honourable Mentions
Here are some additional Armor Sets in Elden Ring that I haven’t included. You may want to consider using them based on your preferences.
- Stealth Armor Set: Offers faster-running speed and stealth bonus but each piece has lower defense than the other sets.
- Fierce Deity Armor Set: Gives access to fierce deity swords but it is harder to upgrade.
- Archaic Armor Set: A very good option but cannot be further updated.
My Opinion On The Best Armor Sets In Tears Of The Kingdom
After having spent countless hours in both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, I found that the armor sets in these games are all very situational. Various armors are tailor-made for a particular situation, like the Miner Armor for navigating dark areas, Snowquill for the cold, Flamebreaker for the heat, and Climber’s Gear for, well, climbing.
If I have to talk about my personal preference, I think I had the most fun with the Phantom Set and the Zonaite Set. The Phantom Set though can’t be upgraded, provides a very solid balance between offense and defense. And you can’t understate the strengths of the Zonaite set, being able to use your energy as freely as it allows you to is enough to make it one of if not the best Armor in Tears of the Kingdom.
This brings me to the end of Tears of the Kingdom best armor set & pieces guide. Before you move on to the next read, consider visiting Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom All Editions, Plot & Ending, and Ganondorf Guides.
- Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: Domizuin Shrine Puzzle
- Tears of the Kingdom: Mayausiy Shrine Puzzle Guide
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Dandelion
- Tears of the Kingdom: Sunset Fireflies
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍