- Final Fantasy 16 producer said that the game was meant to launch on the PS4 as well, but the console could not handle it.
- The PlayStation 4 required a downgrade in the game’s visuals to ensure there were no extra loading times in it.
- The game was planned for PS4 but abandoned mid-way during development because of the underlying issues.
Final Fantasy 16 was one of 2023’s most popular releases for featuring a darker story with mesmerizing visuals that attracted swaths of new players to the franchise. However, it could have picked up an even bigger number with a PlayStation 4 release. As initially spotted by Genki on Twitter, the plans for a cross-gen launch were initially considered by Naoki Yoshida and his team, but PS4 could not handle the game well enough.
Yoshi-P revealed the info in an interview with the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (around 43:47 time) while talking about the game development. Final Fantasy 16 could achieve the visual fidelity of PS5, but loading times made it impossible, which was a big caveat in the port’s development.
Originally, we were expecting to have a multi-platform release on PlayStation 4 as well. And to some extent, the assets were pushing the PlayStation 4 to its absolute limits,” said Yoshi-P.
- Square Enix Reveals It Is Going To Focus On More AAA Titles Moving Forward.
- Final Fantasy 16 Developer Dreams Of A Console-Free Future Within 10 Years.
- Final Fantasy Creator Has Completed The Plot For His New Game.
The visuals had to be reduced even below the FF15 level at a few points. It would have been a disastrous port for the RPG, so it was abandoned. There was no way to make a PS4 version of Final Fantasy 16 work while keeping next to no loading times for which FF16 is often credited. The entry has been a staggering success despite only releasing on PS5. It was the most-played game on the PlayStation 5 in Japan during its launch month.
And when we tried to eliminate basically all loading on the PS4 version, there were certain parts where we were having to reduce the quality to a point lower than [Final Fantasy] XV.”
Final Fantasy 16 came out on June 22, 2023, for only the PlayStation 5. A PC release is still to be announced in the future. eXputer’s Moiz Banoori reviewed the game with an ideal score of 5/5, praising the RPG for a darker narrative with compelling combat and enthralling visuals that stood out against other games last year. Before jumping right into FF16, we suggest checking out our Eikon tier list guide to have the most fun in combat.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍